IGNORED

Aqualung at HDTracks

Does anyone know if this is the same as the Blu-ray that came with the box set?

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I have looked into this because I have the original SW remix vinyl/CD/DVD release and they do appear to be one and the same. Which is to say that it will also be the same as your BD. Which is also to say that although *technically* correct because the files have never been made available for download before, the HDT billing along the lines of brand new release is somewhat disingenuous - in absolute terms. Although I don't think anyone who knows this album or Benefit well enough to own them on disc already, will be fooled into buying twice.

So it will be an absolute cracker and well worth the money. Unless it's been fiddled with since original release, which is possible but unlikely. SW did a lovely job on Benefit too.

Upon furthur investigation, it seens that the newly-available HDTracks downloads of Aqualung and Benefit are slightly different from the previously available DVD-A versions. Both are taken from the 2013 Steven Wilson remixes, but the DR numbers and levels are different. I just bought the HDTracks downloads, but have not listened to them yet.

The numbers on the HDTracks Aqualung are better than before, however, Benefit appears to be compressed and brickwalled.

Also note that the HDTracks Aqualung download is comprised of just the original album, without the addition of the ten bonus tracks that were included on the DVD-A.

Aqualung (S. Wilson remix_DVD-A master)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR12 -0.07 dB -14.75 dB 01 Aqualung.aiff

DR11 -0.07 dB -12.76 dB 02 Cross-Eyed Mary.aiff

DR15 -4.97 dB -24.12 dB 03 Cheap Day Return.aiff

DR14 -0.07 dB -17.28 dB 04 Mother Goose.aiff

DR15 -3.12 dB -21.84 dB 05 Wond'ring Aloud.aiff

DR12 -0.07 dB -13.85 dB 06 Up To Me.aiff

DR12 -0.08 dB -16.44 dB 07 My God.aiff

DR11 -0.07 dB -12.84 dB 08 Hymn 43.aiff

DR15 -3.10 dB -23.20 dB 09 Slipstream.aiff

DR13 -0.08 dB -16.14 dB 10 Locomotive Breath.aiff

DR12 -0.08 dB -16.37 dB 11 Wind-Up.aiff

DR13 -0.08 dB -14.80 dB 12 Lick Your Fingers Clean (New Mix).aiff

DR13 -4.30 dB -20.88 dB 13 Just Trying To Be (New Mix).aiff

DR14 -0.08 dB -19.20 dB 14 My God (Early Version).aiff

DR13 -2.27 dB -18.95 dB 15 Wond'ring Aloud (13th December 1970).aiff

DR14 -0.07 dB -17.99 dB 16 Wind-Up (Early Version).aiff

DR15 -2.05 dB -22.58 dB 17 Slipstream (Take 2).aiff

DR14 -2.69 dB -20.27 dB 18 Up The 'Pool (Early Version).aiff

DR13 -0.08 dB -16.20 dB 19 Wond'ring Aloud, Again (Full Morgan Version).aiff

DR13 -0.12 dB -16.61 dB 20 Life Is A Long Song (New Mix).aiff

DR12 -0.08 dB -14.63 dB 21 Up The 'Pool (New Mix).aiff

Number of files: 21

Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

Jethro Tull/Aqualung (S. Wilson remix_HDTracks)

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR14 -0.10 dB -16.64 dB 01 Aqualung.aif

DR13 -0.10 dB -15.18 dB 02 Cross-Eyed Mary.aif

DR15 -4.80 dB -24.05 dB 03 Cheap Day Return.aif

DR16 -0.57 dB -19.84 dB 04 Mother Goose.aif

DR15 -2.09 dB -21.86 dB 05 Wond'ring Aloud.aif

DR13 -1.28 dB -16.62 dB 06 Up To Me.aif

DR14 -0.10 dB -17.98 dB 07 My God.aif

DR14 -0.12 dB -15.80 dB 08 Hymn 43.aif

DR14 -3.38 dB -23.67 dB 09 Slipstream.aif

DR14 -0.10 dB -17.10 dB 10 Locomotive Breath.aif

DR13 -0.20 dB -17.42 dB 11 Wind-Up.aif

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR14

==============================================================================================

Jethro Tull/Benefit (S. Wilson remix_DVD-A master)

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -2.78 dB -18.55 dB 01 With You There To Help Me.aiff

DR12 -4.34 dB -18.75 dB 02 Nothing To Say.aiff

DR12 -2.99 dB -18.70 dB 03 Alive And Well And Living In.aiff

DR13 -3.01 dB -17.89 dB 04 Son.aiff

DR12 -4.15 dB -19.88 dB 05 For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me.aiff

DR12 -3.67 dB -17.38 dB 06 To Cry You A Song.aiff

DR13 -3.60 dB -18.28 dB 07 A TIme For Everything_.aiff

DR14 -2.97 dB -19.48 dB 08 Inside.aiff

DR13 -3.15 dB -18.88 dB 09 Play In Time.aiff

DR13 -8.30 dB -23.54 dB 10 Sossity; You_re A Woman.aiff

DR13 -6.22 dB -21.10 dB 11 Singing All Day.aiff

DR13 -2.10 dB -17.24 dB 12 Sweet Dream.aiff

DR13 -4.68 dB -19.24 dB 13 17.aiff

DR12 -2.79 dB -17.89 dB 14 Teacher (UK single version).aiff

DR13 -3.24 dB -18.24 dB 15 Teacher (US album version).aiff

Number of files: 15

Official DR value: DR13

Jethro Tull/Benefit (S. Wilson remix_HDTracks)

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR10 -0.05 dB -12.98 dB 01 With You There to Help Me.aif

DR11 -0.10 dB -13.30 dB 02 Nothing To Say.aif

DR10 -0.10 dB -12.73 dB 03 Alive And Well And Living In.aif

DR11 -0.10 dB -13.04 dB 04 Son.aif

DR12 -0.10 dB -15.19 dB 05 For Michael Collins, Jeffrey And Me.aif

DR10 -0.10 dB -12.13 dB 06 To Cry You A Song.aif

DR11 -0.10 dB -12.87 dB 07 A Time For Everything.aif

DR12 -0.10 dB -14.32 dB 08 Inside.aif

DR10 -0.10 dB -11.90 dB 09 Play In Time.aif

DR13 -2.27 dB -17.39 dB 10 Sossity You're A Woman.aif

DR13 -0.10 dB -14.95 dB 11 Singing All Day.aif

DR10 -0.10 dB -12.07 dB 12 Sweet Dream.aif

DR10 -0.10 dB -11.63 dB 13 17.aif

DR11 -0.05 dB -13.19 dB 14 Teacher (UK).aif

DR11 -0.07 dB -12.96 dB 15 Teacher (US).aif

Number of files: 15

Official DR value: DR11

The story as I heard it is...

Aqualung

This was remixed by Steven Wilson for the 40th Anniversary blu-ray set, but was mastered by Peter Mew adding some brightness and compression.

This new release is as Steven Wilson intended, not remastered by anyone but himself. It is the first time this mastering of his mix has been made available.

Benefit

This is supposed to be identical to the DVD release, so not sure what happened here. I ran the DR meter on my rip of the DVD and I got the exact same numbers that are listed above for the new HDTracks download, so I'm not sure where those higher DR numbers for the DVD came from that are posted above, that mastering isn't on my copy! Are those numbers from a downmix of the 5.1 mix perhaps?

The story as I heard it is...

Aqualung

This was remixed by Steven Wilson for the 40th Anniversary blu-ray set, but was mastered by Peter Mew adding some brightness and compression.

This new release is as Steven Wilson intended, not remastered by anyone but himself. It is the first time this mastering of his mix has been made available.

Benefit

This is supposed to be identical to the DVD release, so not sure what happened here. I ran the DR meter on my rip of the DVD and I got the exact same numbers that are listed above for the new HDTracks download, so I'm not sure where those higher DR numbers for the DVD came from that are posted above, that mastering isn't on my copy! Are those numbers from a downmix of the 5.1 mix perhaps?

Interesting stuff. Source?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Interesting stuff. Source?

The Steve Hoffman forum, post from the guy that worked with Steven Wilson doing the volume leveling (not compression or other mastering, just adjusting the levels of the tracks relative to each other) for the new release. Said that a new "unmastered" release of Thick as a Brick is coming soon as that one also got the Peter Mew treatment on its original release.

Aqualung had fiddling removed.

Benefit is unchanged.

Which is good news indeed. As is the possibility that we'll get a decent TAAB.

Based on this Aqualung info I'm downloading the HDT version. Thank you to all who shared.

Thank you to all who shared.

+1

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The Steve Hoffman forum, post from the guy that worked with Steven Wilson doing the volume leveling (not compression or other mastering, just adjusting the levels of the tracks relative to each other) for the new release. Said that a new "unmastered" release of Thick as a Brick is coming soon as that one also got the Peter Mew treatment on its original release.

"Unmastered". Love that term! That should be the standard word for describing an unsullied or properly mastered recording.

-square

Downloaded Aqualung. Sounds great. I'll have to A/B it w/Blu-ray later.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Here is a Dr. Loudness War link for the 2013 Benefit release that also suggests it is the same as the current HDTracks download.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Something is definitely off with the wwaldmanfan's numbers for the DVD release.

This has put me in a quandary. I downloaded the purported Steven Wilson 2013 remix of Benefit from a bittorent site to listen to it, with every intention of deleting it from my computer after then purchasing it from HDTracks, which I did.

When the DR numbers didn't match up, I was taken aback. It's too bad that the torrent version sounds better than the $18 download that I bought.

I can't remember where I got it, and have been unable to locate it again by internet search after this matter was brought to light a few days ago.

Having purchased Benefit four times already (LP, CD, 2001 CD remaster, 2015 HDTracks download), I may just have to keep the better version, but I'll be sure to say Ten Hail Marys when I listen to it.

Loved Aqualung so much I bought Benefit as well. I'll do the same w/TAAB. I believe Mr. Wilson is going to remaster the entire Roxy catalog so hopefully we'll be getting those down the road as well.

You probably got a lossless rip of one of the early CD releases (that would explain the higher DR numbers as even SW applies a little limiting).

This has put me in a quandary. I downloaded the purported Steven Wilson 2013 remix of Benefit from a bittorent site to listen to it, with every intention of deleting it from my computer after then purchasing it from HDTracks, which I did.

When the DR numbers didn't match up, I was taken aback. It's too bad that the torrent version sounds better than the $18 download that I bought.

I can't remember where I got it, and have been unable to locate it again by internet search after this matter was brought to light a few days ago.

Having purchased Benefit four times already (LP, CD, 2001 CD remaster, 2015 HDTracks download), I may just have to keep the better version, but I'll be sure to say Ten Hail Marys when I listen to it.

You probably got a lossless rip of one of the early CD releases (that would explain the higher DR numbers as even SW applies a little limiting).

I don't think so. I no longer have my 1985 Benefit CD to compare, but that one is listed on Dynamic Range Database as DR 10-12, and my 2001 remaster CD is DR 8-12.

I'm quite certain that this "mystery" Benefit is the 2013 Wilson remix. First of all, the track listing is the same as HDTracks, with the two UK/US versions of Teacher at the end. Second, I listened to it very carefully, comparing it with the HDTracks download, and my original LP. At 1:23 in A Time For Everything, Barre holds a sustained, pinched-harmonic note for 10 seconds. On the original mix, this note is quite loud, unmistakable, and sounds like your ears are ringing. On "both" of my Wilson versions, it is buried in the mix.

The only explaination I can think of is that the torrent/supposed DVD-A rip could be a 24/96 needledrop of the 2013 vinyl edition, but, I have no way to verify that, and I don't know if the bonus tracks are included on the LP.

TT DR offline dynamic range meter can be slightly inaccurate on vinyl ripped to digital, due to artifacts from phono cartridge reproduction, but in this case, the discrepancies in the DR and peak/RMS volume numbers between the torrent file and the HDTracks download are huge.

Benefit Collector’s Edition now available to pre-order | Jethro Tull

• 5 weeks later...

Can't wait for a Steven Wilson Thick As A Brick. Definitely Tulls best work ever.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.