IGNORED

Please help. Cannot get a straight answer

I'm interested in the NAS concept but for serious listening I still have a hard time to go "wireless". How can I tap the music stored in the NAS so it goes directly to my DAC? Do I connect the DAC to my MAC and the MAC to the router where the NAS is connected to or do I connect directly to the NAS? I have not bought the NAS yet, I need to understand what kinds of connectivity options I need to get a "wired" connection. I don't have a streamer, renderer. I just have a MAC Book pro 2014 and a M51 NAD DAC. Thank you so much for you help.

GUDOC

I can only speak for Synology NAS's as that's all I've owned.

With synology you have 2 options. The first is that you can actually connect the DAC directly to the USB port on the synology and then use their own AudioStation and DS Audio apps to play the music. This solution supports playback of most music formats but isn't as tweakable and maybe not as optimum in terms of sound reproduction as option 2.

The second, and more popular option is what you outlined in your message. Connect the NAS to the same router/switch as your MAC and connect your DAC to your MAC. Then you need to choose which software you want to use for playback. This can range from simply using iTunes to more sophisticated software such as Pure music, JRiver and the like. You'll find lots of posts on here about all of them.

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Hi

You shouldn't connect your DAC directly to the NAS. And that is for two reasons;

1) your DAC does not support ethernet-in (no DAC that is commercially available does)

2) your DAC needs to be spoon-fed. In other words, you need a music player that pushes the signal over to your DAC. Standard NAS software is not the best to do that (limited functionality - it is designed to sit on a server side, not client side).

So, here is your chain, assuming your NAS is in a different room than your DAC.

NAS --> UTP cable (CAT6 or CAT7) --> Network router or switch (for access to the NAS by other things like iPads, other computers etc) --> UTP cable (CAT6 or CAT7) --> D-LAN box in wall (check out Devolo) --> D-LAN box in wall in other room --> UTP cable (CAT6 or CAT7) --> Mac --> USB Cable or S/PDIF (or USB to S/PDIF converter) --> DAC

If your NAS is in the same room as the DAC, this is your path

NAS --> UTP cable (CAT6 or CAT7) --> Network router or switch (for access to the NAS by other things like iPads, other computers etc) --> UTP cable (CAT6 or CAT7) --> Mac --> USB Cable or S/PDIF (or USB to S/PDIF converter) --> DAC

As you can see, the D-LAN part has dropped off.

Now, if you have empty pipes in the wall or don't mind cables running along the wall, you could replace the D-LAN construction by running a long UTP cable from the switch or router to your Macbook / DAC location. But I find D-LAN easier.

I hope this helps.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hi

If your NAS is in the same room as the DAC, this is your path

NAS --> UTP cable (CAT6 or CAT7) --> Network router or switch (for access to the NAS by other things like iPads, other computers etc) --> UTP cable (CAT6 or CAT7) --> Mac --> USB Cable or S/PDIF (or USB to S/PDIF converter) --> DAC

+1 .... Pepsican got it pretty much right with one minor change - Apple, in their

infinite wisdom and nod to user friendliness did away with internet ports.

So.... I use an adapter for the run from my switch to the MAC.

Sequence is: .... CAT7 > ethernet/Thunderbolt adapter > MAC.

they cost $29 bucks from apple store:

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)