IGNORED

iPad for controlling Aries?

Having never owned an iPad, I could use a little help.

Is there any difference in the iPad models for use in running Lightning DS to control an Auralic Aries?

Is a mini okay, or would everything be too small?

Mark

Having never owned an iPad, I could use a little help.

Is there any difference in the iPad models for use in running Lightning DS to control an Auralic Aries?

Is a mini okay, or would everything be too small?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm not an authority on the different models of iPad, but I use an iPad Mini with an Aries and it works fine. Things aren't too small for my somewhat worn, 48 year-old eyes. You can also adjust the size of album artwork displayed, which would allow you some flexibility with respect to seeing what's on the screen.

Best,

Jeff

(Disclaimer: I'm an authorized AURALiC dealer.)

Hi Mark,

I'm not an authority on the different models of iPad, but I use an iPad Mini with an Aries and it works fine. Things aren't too small for my somewhat worn, 48 year-old eyes. You can also adjust the size of album artwork displayed, which would allow you some flexibility with respect to seeing what's on the screen.

Best,

Jeff

(Disclaimer: I'm an authorized AURALiC dealer.)

I have similarly 48 yr old eyes and use an iPad mini to control my Aries with no issues in terms of readability.

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

49 and switched to the mini when they came out with the retina display. I like it much better for general use (than "standard" iPad) and it works great for Lightning DS. Hurts to admit that I now need glasses, but no trouble using with the hifi even without them :)

iPad Mini works fine, IPad works fine and is larger ( of course ) - if you have a spare Mac or PC you could run Linn Kazoo or Kinsky for day to day duties as well ( save for setup/configuration of Aries and switching to Tidal/Songcast/Airplay).

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

iPad Mini works fine, IPad works fine and is larger ( of course ) - if you have a spare Mac or PC you could run Linn Kazoo or Kinsky for day to day duties as well ( save for setup/configuration of Aries and switching to Tidal/Songcast/Airplay).
Similar applies if you have a spare Android tablet with the BubbleUPnP app, plus Kinsky available too.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I notice on the Apple web site there are three mini iPad models. TPiddy mentioned the retina display; other than that will they all work equally well?

Is more memory better, or does it make any difference when used for this purpose?

Mark

I notice on the Apple web site there are three mini iPad models. TPiddy mentioned the retina display; other than that will they all work equally well?

Is more memory better, or does it make any difference when used for this purpose?

Personally I would go for a Mini with Retina (iPad Mini 2).

Memory size is not important if you are purely using it for controlling the Lumin, but if you also want to use it as a portable media device then get the largest and here the new iPad Mini 3 wins out as you can have 64 or 128GB storage.

Apart from the storage offerings, and the fingerprint sensor for security, there is very little to no difference between the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad Mini 3.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I had some sporadic network issues with “no device” shown in the lightning ds app. I contacted Auralic and Chris Morris explained to me that:

“Its something that we have ran into with the iPad2's and 1st Gen iPad Mini's. Their WiFi cards are the strongest inside and while they work just fine for internet. UPnP streamers use different network protocols that can have problems that wouldn't occur when lets say your watching youtube. You have the rest of your network sorted it looks like so the things are starting to point to the iPad. The reason why the Aries keeps on playing is because its got a good connection to the network. Also when you load a playlist that actually gets sent to theAries and so it has instructions and the information to play out the playlist on its own. Do you have a different/newer iPad in the house to try. The fact that the Aries is on the network and LDS says"no device" means its the connection through the router from the iPad to theAries is the problem. We already know the Aries is connected and the router is a good model so we can only assume its points to the iPad. But the only real way to tell is to test the theory out.”…

The answer made me kind of mad because I bought the iPad exclusively just to control my Aries and nothing else. I did ask my Aurlic dealer for advice before I bought it, and I was told to get an iPad, and that just any model should work fine.

I´ve now sold my iPad mini because of this. I think Auralic should be more clear about what models of iPad they recommend, if they tell their customer that it´s an known issue…

Minim server,Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit),Auralic Vega, Auralic Aries,Krell Kav-280p, Krell Kav-2250, B&W 802d, Nordost SPM XLR, Nordost Red Dawn XLR, Purist Audio Design Vesta, Wireworld electra 7, 2x2m +1x1m, Harmony Logitech oneKinsky -"folder-view setting" (Lightning DS -just for setup)

Will IPad2 issues with the Aries change with the update Lightning DS 2.0?

It sounds more like their blaming Apple for using bad wifi-modules in this specific iPad models. It might be possible to compensate for poor hardware quality in the software. But personally I would recommend buying an iPad with better wifi-card just to be sure…

Minim server,Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit),Auralic Vega, Auralic Aries,Krell Kav-280p, Krell Kav-2250, B&W 802d, Nordost SPM XLR, Nordost Red Dawn XLR, Purist Audio Design Vesta, Wireworld electra 7, 2x2m +1x1m, Harmony Logitech oneKinsky -"folder-view setting" (Lightning DS -just for setup)

I´ve now sold my iPad mini because of this. I think Auralic should be more clear about what models of iPad they recommend, if they tell their customer that it´s an known issue…

Thanks for the info. What are you using to control your Aries?

Personally I would go for a Mini with Retina (iPad Mini 2).

Excellent advice.

Apart from the storage offerings, and the fingerprint sensor for security, there is very little to no difference between the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad Mini 3.

I believe no difference other than the fingerprint sensor. And price.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thanks for the info. What are you using to control your Aries?

I´m using different Android units like Sony Xperia Z1 compact, Sony Xperia tablet Z3 compact, Google nexus 7, LG G3 and the Linn Kinsky app to control the Aries. It works ok. I´ve unsubscribed my Tidal account cause Kinsky can´t control the Aries via the Kinsy app. I like the folder view in Kinsky much better than the crippled Lightning DS folder view.

Thanks for all the replies. I have another question that might be silly, I don't know.

Does using the iPad for other stuff compromise its use as an Aries controller?

Mark

Nope. I use mine to control NEST, Hue, Aries, Weather, mail, calendar, and a bunch of other stuff.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I´m using different Android units like Sony Xperia Z1 compact, Sony Xperia tablet Z3 compact, Google nexus 7, LG G3 and the Linn Kinsky app to control the Aries. It works ok. I´ve unsubscribed my Tidal account cause Kinsky can´t control the Aries via the Kinsy app. I like the folder view in Kinsky much better than the crippled Lightning DS folder view.

I wondered about using an Android tablet. Sounds like Lightning DS on Android isn't quite there yet.

I´ve unsubscribed my Tidal account cause Kinsky can´t control the Aries via the Kinsy app. I like the folder view in Kinsky much better than the crippled Lightning DS folder view.
Unfortunately, it looks like the Aries's support for OpenHome doesn't extend to using the OpenHome service for connecting to Tidal (which is used by the Linn streamers):

http://www.openhome.org/wiki/TidalStreamingService

Its Lightning DS app therefore appears to use a proprietary method to connect to Tidal instead.

If you'd tried setting the Aries to (standard) UPnP mode, instead of OpenHome, you could have then used the BubbleUPnP Server helper application to provide the OpenHome renderer emulation for it:

BubbleUPnP Server

The BubbleUPnP Server can be run on some NASs, as well as Macs, Windows & Linux computers. Its support for OpenHome includes Tidal connectivity and you should then have been able to use the Kazoo app with the Aries for this purpose.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

It sounds more like their blaming Apple for using bad wifi-modules in this specific iPad models. It might be possible to compensate for poor hardware quality in the software. But personally I would recommend buying an iPad with better wifi-card just to be sure…

It sounds more like a routing problem...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It sounds more like a routing problem...

Okay. I don´t know, but I trust you. :-)

What I know for sure is that I had problems, and I blame Auralic for this because they told me that it is a known issue. If they are aware of the issue they should be more specific in what iPad they recommend. That’s my opinion. As I said, I asked my Auralic dealer for advice, before I bought the iPad. They told me that any iPad should be fine with the Aries. When I contact the Auralic support like 4 months later, they tells me that the problem is my first gen iPad mini, I´m not satisfied. I bought a brand new iPad mini and sold it 4 months later, that´s not a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

So you blame Auralic, because your dealer gave you bad information?

Okay. I don´t know, but I trust you. :-)

What I know for sure is that I had problems, and I blame Auralic for this because they told me that it is a known issue. If they are aware of the issue they should be more specific in what iPad they recommend. That’s my opinion. As I said, I asked my Auralic dealer for advice, before I bought the iPad. They told me that any iPad should be fine with the Aries. When I contact the Auralic support like 4 months later, they tells me that the problem is my first gen iPad mini, I´m not satisfied. I bought a brand new iPad mini and sold it 4 months later, that´s not a good deal.

So you blame Auralic, because your dealer gave you bad information?

I blame both AUALic and my dealer. Because Auralic hasn’t provided my dealer with accurate information about what iPad to choose. I haven’t seen AURALiC recommending any particular model, when they know that some models can cause problems, they should be transparent about that. I still haven’t seen any official recommendation of what model to choose or not to choose from AURALiC.

I wondered about using an Android tablet. Sounds like Lightning DS on Android isn't quite there yet.

The beta version was junk but v1.0 at least doesn't crash all the time. I am using it on a Samsung tab and also a phone. Though I find overall the app isn't as refined or as snappy as BubbleUPnP or Kinsky. Hopefully that changes as they refine it.

Regarding the mini, it was my intention to get one to, in order of priority, 1) control the Aries, 2) surf web/answer e-mail, 3) watch video, 4) eReader . Then I came across Samsung Tab S 8.4 with AMOLED display and thought it was noticeably sharper then the Retina display. In size it's a bit narrower and easier to hold. And the aspect ratio lends itself better for some video stuff (16:9 vs 4:3).

I blame both AUALic and my dealer. Because Auralic hasn’t provided my dealer with accurate information about what iPad to choose. I haven’t seen AURALiC recommending any particular model, when they know that some models can cause problems, they should be transparent about that. I still haven’t seen any official recommendation of what model to choose or not to choose from AURALiC.

Have you tried a different controller app? Lumin perhaps. Kazoo?