IGNORED

Anyone using Pure Music?

Although Pure Music has fallen out of favor with many here at CA, it remains a GREAT choice for Mac users. I've often thought if I had to choose only 1 player due to cost (or whatever), it would be Pure Music. I don't find Integer Mode "better" in Pure Music and I often use the app without it engaged. My iTunes library is in AIFF and I'm still using Mavericks BTW.

Melvin, can not decide, perhaps it is the best solution to get both, isn't it? Why no upgrade to Yosemite or what you mean with "or whatever" ?

Melvin, can not decide, perhaps it is the best solution to get both, isn't it? Why no upgrade to Yosemite or what you mean with "or whatever" ?

HA! It's hard to resist having more than 1. Yosemite .. well, I've installed it a couple of times and subsequently rolled back to Mavericks. I actually like Yosemite and use it on an older (2010) Mac mini without issue. My late 2012 Mac mini is my audio system computer and Yosemite does not play nice with 2 of my DACs and both of my USB-SPDIF converters. There is something amiss with Yosemite and USB for some and it has been reported but never fixed. I'm one of the unfortunate. The good part of the equation is Mavericks works flawlessly for me and I'm not ready to change out my audio computer yet anyway, so it's Mavericks.

Yes, so I now bought Pure Music and Amarra, also I am owning HQPlayer and Audirvana.

:-)

For myself, I now have more digital players than I have turntables. It's easy to go whole hog.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Is it true that Amarra will not play gapless ALAC files in playlist mode?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Guess not.

Thanks for trying. I was thinking about trying Amarra but my interest would be as a non-iTunes integrated player. All of my music is in ALAC, bummer.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Thanks for trying. I was thinking about trying Amarra but my interest would be as a non-iTunes integrated player. All of my music is in ALAC, bummer.

Don't know if you misunderstood you, but what did you meant exactly? ALAC files are played gapless by Amarra as I tried it.

There are several great options for playback software. I think it is system and use dependent which is better.

My dac is not Interger Mode capable due to fixed upsampling to 96K/24. Using PM to convert all files to 96/24 and memory play. This way a hardware chip in the sac to not doing this on the fly.

But the big feature is Less is More mode. It is very easy to hear the improvements it provides. Toggling on/off is very easy to do.

I also use Pure Vinyl. Usually upgrading it gets a free upgrade to Pure Music. There has been one paid upgrade required in five years.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

There are several great options for playback software. I think it is system and use dependent which is better.

My dac is not Interger Mode capable due to fixed upsampling to 96K/24. Using PM to convert all files to 96/24 and memory play. This way a hardware chip in the sac to not doing this on the fly.

But the big feature is Less is More mode. It is very easy to hear the improvements it provides. Toggling on/off is very easy to do.

I also use Pure Vinyl. Usually upgrading it gets a free upgrade to Pure Music. There has been one paid upgrade required in five years.

Thanks, my Mytek don't support Integer Mode too. Will try out the Less Is More mode as soon as possible.

I've downloaded the demo, listened on both headphone and speaker systems. There is no way I can find to switch back and forth quickly between Pure Music and iTunes. You have to shut down both programs and re-start iTunes to change, so it's a less than ideal A/B situation. I've listened in for details, cues I know well in music I know well, and I haven't heard any difference between the players. People who have say the differences are mostly in soundstage, not in details, so I'll listen to Pure Music exclusively until the demo period runs out, then switch back to see if I'm missing anything. But "Soundstage" doesn't spring from the air, it is made up of the way details are presented by the system -- channel separation, noise, distortion, dynamic range, frequency response, etc. If I don't hear a difference in the details, I don't expect I'll hear one in the big picture.

One caveat: My collection is 99% ripped redbook cds, so hi-rez is not an issue for me. I keep iTunes optimized for 16/44.1 and don't mess with it. So if the magic in Pure Music has to do with better SRC, I'm not likely to hear it.

hi

The user instruction is not very clear. But in my system the difference is very easy to hear.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I've downloaded the demo, listened on both headphone and speaker systems. There is no way I can find to switch back and forth quickly between Pure Music and iTunes. You have to shut down both programs and re-start iTunes to change, so it's a less than ideal A/B situation. I've listened in for details, cues I know well in music I know well, and I haven't heard any difference between the players. People who have say the differences are mostly in soundstage, not in details, so I'll listen to Pure Music exclusively until the demo period runs out, then switch back to see if I'm missing anything. But "Soundstage" doesn't spring from the air, it is made up of the way details are presented by the system -- channel separation, noise, distortion, dynamic range, frequency response, etc. If I don't hear a difference in the details, I don't expect I'll hear one in the big picture.

One caveat: My collection is 99% ripped redbook cds, so hi-rez is not an issue for me. I keep iTunes optimized for 16/44.1 and don't mess with it. So if the magic in Pure Music has to do with better SRC, I'm not likely to hear it.

Perhaps you have not configured the player as it should be. It's far better than iTunes !!!

PM requires that you run iTunes concurrently as the library manager.

Hi all, im new to mac's but i have setup my mac mini and running JRiver into a Hugo DAC with great results. However i would like to try iTunes with Pure Music, but wonder if someone could answer a few questions for me. My music resodes on a Synology NAS.

1. What is the issue with the above post ?

2. All my music is in FLAC and DSF (DSD) formats, so are there any issues with this.

3. I only use one view, which is album view as i need to select music via album artwork. With item 2 in mind will this be an issue.

4. I am only able to use an iPad with apple remote to select music. So again will there be any issues.

Many thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Graeme

Hi all, im new to mac's but i have setup my mac mini and running JRiver into a Hugo DAC with great results. However i would like to try iTunes with Pure Music, but wonder if someone could answer a few questions for me. My music resodes on a Synology NAS.

1. What is the issue with the above post ?

2. All my music is in FLAC and DSF (DSD) formats, so are there any issues with this.

3. I only use one view, which is album view as i need to select music via album artwork. With item 2 in mind will this be an issue.

4. I am only able to use an iPad with apple remote to select music. So again will there be any issues.

Many thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Graeme

1. Not sure what you mean

2. No issues

3. Again, not exactly sure what you mean, but when you use Pure Music, you still use the iTunes library and interface. Using PM doesn't change the way you select music using the iTunes interface.

4. I use the remote app on my iPhone. Works like a charm.

Bk

thanks for the reply. The quote i put in my post was from post#8 on this thread. I wasn't sure why he raised it as an issue which is why i was asking.

But thats great looking at your responses. I know what i am going to be doing over this bank holiday.

Many thanks

Bk

thanks for the reply. The quote i put in my post was from post#8 on this thread. I wasn't sure why he raised it as an issue which is why i was asking.

But thats great looking at your responses. I know what i am going to be doing over this bank holiday.

Many thanks

No problem. Read the instructions on playing FLAC and DSD files. It's easy, but definitely peruse the instructions first.

If all of your music is either flac or DSF, personally, I would not choose to use iTunes. iTunes on its own does not read either of these formats. Yes, they can be made to work with Pure Music but you will never be able to view the files without PM also running. IMO you are just making things more difficult for yourself.

Is there a beginners guide or instruction manual. The site is a bit confusing. Would you be good enogh to post a link if you know where it is.

If you download the PM demo version, you will also get the User Manual.

Hi Axiom

thanks for the info regarding the manual. Regarding Flac and iTunes, I don't think I'll ever use iTunes on it's own. However I'm not really sure how iTunes and Pure Music work together.

do you need to start one before the other. I want to be able to turn the mini on and be ready to play music without any interaction from me, apart from selecting something on the iPad

Hi Axiom

thanks for the info regarding the manual. Regarding Flac and iTunes, I don't think I'll ever use iTunes on it's own. However I'm not really sure how iTunes and Pure Music work together.

do you need to start one before the other. I want to be able to turn the mini on and be ready to play music without any interaction from me, apart from selecting something on the iPad

Launching PM also launches iTunes. Sounds like you want to run a "headless" setup. Carefully follow the setup instructions outlined in the manual. PM uses Bookmarks to add flac and DSD files to iTunes and there are some specific settings that you need to make in iTunes in order for this to work.