IGNORED

Good Friend Needs Audio Advice In An Area I'm Not Entirely Well Versed In - Your Thoughts?

I think the 28 sounds more musical - the two 8" woofers are a lot tighter & more natural-sounding to me than the slightly flabby and more in-your-face bass of the larger CV woofers. CVs are not really designed for home music reproduction.

Thanks Bluesman. I appreciate the insight. Looks like the 28's are the best option then.

JC

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, all of which are greatly appreciated. One last request has just been added to this. My same friends are now adding a sound system to their classic VW van, and asked me what very small (roughly 8 inches high x 6 inches wide) bookshelf type speakers they could purchase for the van. And again the requirements are the ability to play loudly and rock the van when they are tailgating for the summer concert season. They need a total of two pairs, and would like to keep the expenditure under $500.00. I know of quite a few good, small speakers in this class, but they are all too large for this application and probably don't meet the loudness factor.

After the previous recommendations, I looked to Cerwin Vega first, but their (and many other brands) smallest speakers are powered, and that won't work for this application. Any help with this would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

JC

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, all of which are greatly appreciated. One last request has just been added to this. My same friends are now adding a sound system to their classic VW van, and asked me what very small (roughly 8 inches high x 6 inches wide) bookshelf type speakers they could purchase for the van. And again the requirements are the ability to play loudly and rock the van when they are tailgating for the summer concert season. They need a total of two pairs, and would like to keep the expenditure under $500.00. I know of quite a few good, small speakers in this class, but they are all too large for this application and probably don't meet the loudness factor.

After the previous recommendations, I looked to Cerwin Vega first, but their (and many other brands) smallest speakers are powered, and that won't work for this application. Any help with this would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

JC

JBL Control 1? Or, and don't laugh, a couple of pairs of second hand Bose 402 - sound like shit but go loud.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

JBL Control 1? Or, and don't laugh, a couple of pairs of second hand Bose 402 - sound like shit but go loud.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just read some reviews of those JBL's and it looks like they will fill the bill. But no, I couldn't personally be involved with anything like those Bose......lol

JC