IGNORED

Creation - New Keith Jarrett - anyone had a listen

Have read some intriguing reviews of Keith's latest, Creation...I see it is 48/24 at HDTracks. suspect the sonics are good but what would anyone be willing to share about the music/performance from the "master"...Best, WDW

Being a big Jarrett fan, I had to give it a try, also because I liked the concept of Jarrett hand-picking his preferred moments from several concerts instead of just giving one total concert.

So far I'm not too enthusiastic about it though. The music kind of slowly floats along but doesn't really move forward. I haven't posted about it yet as I wanted to give it some more playtime, sometimes these kind of albums need repeat listening. But my initial impression is that this is one of the less essential Jarretts solo albums.

SQ as usual with ECM is very good, DR from 11 to 14 with most tracks being 14 or 15.

Being a big Jarrett fan, I had to give it a try, also because I liked the concept of Jarrett hand-picking his preferred moments from several concerts instead of just giving one total concert.

So far I'm not too enthusiastic about it though. The music kind of slowly floats along but doesn't really move forward. I haven't posted about it yet as I wanted to give it some more playtime, sometimes these kind of albums need repeat listening. But my initial impression is that this is one of the less essential Jarretts solo albums.

SQ as usual with ECM is very good, DR from 11 to 14 with most tracks being 14 or 15.

I listen to it once and I agree with everything you said!

suspect the sonics are good but what would anyone be willing to share about the music/performance from the "master"

If Jarrett has a special place in your heart, as he has in mine, go grab it, you will not be disappointed. If he has not, and you doesn't have all other his solo performances already you may want to look for some other recordings, probably.

That confirms once more for me that I don't really agree with many of the AAJ reviews.

Neither I, but sometimes they could give you a clue. Anyway, it's always better to listen on your own and judge if you like it. In this case, I don't know yet. Have you had a change to listen to it more over time?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

"Creation" just recently got 4 ½ stars on AllAboutJazz: Keith Jarrett: Creation

John Kelman has probably never reviewed an (ECM) album that he doesn't like (prove me wrong, I'd be interested :) )

... but I agree with him. I like the album.

(In general, you would be hard pressed to find any bad review on AAJ. The staff seem to review what they like. And JK is the ECM champion, for better or worse)

John Kelman has probably never reviewed an (ECM) album that he doesn't like (prove me wrong, I'd be interested :) )

... but I agree with him. I like the album.

(In general, you would be hard pressed to find any bad review on AAJ. The staff seem to review what they like. And JK is the ECM champion, for better or worse)

You're probably right. Although I'm not a big fan of that concept. If everything is good what is the point of reviewing?

Giving Creation another spin now after having the immense pleasure of attending live one of the two solo concerts Keith will giving in Europe in 2015. See if I change my mind on it.

By the way, Krzysztof, which Poster did you get? They had two last night at the ECM stand, one with a big portrait of Keith with the two 2015 albums in small, and another one with all of Jarretts album covers on the poster. I'd love to get my hands on the latter.

By the way, Krzysztof, which Poster did you get? They had two last night at the ECM stand, one with a big portrait of Keith with the two 2015 albums in small, and another one with all of Jarretts album covers on the poster. I'd love to get my hands on the latter.

Don't know yet. They posted me that I am a winner, but poster did not reach my home yet.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Giving Creation another spin now after having the immense pleasure of attending live one of the two solo concerts Keith will giving in Europe in 2015.

How wonderful!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It was indeed. Just wrote my very first blog post about it:

https://musicophilesblog.wordpress.com

Loved your report. Not being sure about commenting on the blog, I will here:

I've read an interview with Keith Jarrett where he says the reason he plays shorter pieces now is that he's no longer physically capable of playing longer ones.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Loved your report. Not being sure about commenting on the blog, I will here:

I've read an interview with Keith Jarrett where he says the reason he plays shorter pieces now is that he's no longer physically capable of playing longer ones.

Thanks. I actually have no idea if you can comment on the blog. Probably yes. Need to find out.

Re: short pieces, makes sense, he's not getting younger. Doesn't impact the experience at all anyhow.

The poster finally arrived. It's double sided, so both big Keith portrait at the piano with two 2015 albums and Jarrett's album covers are here on different sides of the poster. Now I need the glass frame for it and even my wife accepted the poster to be places in our living room, which is quite shocking to me ;-) Anyway, will get honorable place on the wall with Jarret's portrait side. BTW, is it pita, that the poster is not signed by the artist.

--

Krzysztof Maj

The poster finally arrived. It's double sided, so both big Keith portrait at the piano with two 2015 albums and Jarrett's album covers are here on different sides of the poster. Now I need the glass frame for it and even my wife accepted the poster to be places in our living room, which is quite shocking to me ;-) Anyway, will get honorable place on the wall with Jarret's portrait side. BTW, is it pita, that the poster is not signed by the artist.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll try to get the same poster from ECM as well.