IGNORED

Pono Player Firmware Update

Hello All,

Just bought a new black Pono Player as the discount was so compelling and am now just trying to get my bearings in the "end times" of the Pono World.   I easily see the drive mount and have used "drag and drop".  All is good but am wondering what software and other items may still be available to a user or are these, by and large, no longer downloadable?  

Is there a link for the PONO Musc software for Mac and is the Pono community still alive, etc?  The player sounds great but wondering if I  may have let a great price cloud my judgement.

Thanks for any thoughts you may be willing to share.

Warren

4 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Probably the main thing is to have the latest firmware version so that any early version glitches are fixed (might also include the ability to play DSD?). Looks like this web page might still be active:

https://www.ponomusic.com/pmv

Hopefully that includes the firmware. As far as the software, drop and drag is what I usually use over Pono's file manager. Put all your albums in the "Music" sub-directory.

Many thanks..I did try the PMV link but it leads to a blank page stating the link has been disabled.  Drag and drop is fine by me.  How do you access the "Setting" menu?  Is this a control on the player or within the Music Vault software?   

Just listening for the first time and do think this little guy sounds quite nice.

1 minute ago, beetlemania said:

You will find the settings options on the player itself. I have balanced heaphones and have to reset for balanced operation if I disconnect them.

Thought that would be the case...how do you invoke the menu?  And thanks for this.

7 minutes ago, left channel said:

@wdw you really don't need the PMV software, even if your unit requires a firmware update which can also be copied manually into the appropriate place on the device.  I believe the final firmware update was version 1.0.6.

Via PM I will share my download folder containing a copy of the software, the firmware update, and a link+archive of a relevant Pono Community post.

@left channel

Yes, I'm beginning to realize that the PMV software may just be problematic and simple drag and drop is all I need.  My thanks for your help.  Always a joy to be a member of this community and to see the assistance it so freely offers.

One last one...what kind of battery life are you getting when on the road and listening to music?  Does the addition of the SD Card noticeably increase the battery demands?  (OK...two!) ...maybe three!  Can you realistically run two phones simultaneously? (recognizing the losses involved, natch) Thanks,WW

3 hours ago, beetlemania said:

One advantage of PMV is that it's far easier to create playlists, but I pretty much don't use those.

I get about 5-6 hours per charge. There is a youtube video that shows how to replace the battery when it comes to that.

I put in a 200 GB SD card - I have no idea if that effects battery demands. Is there a reason it might?

Thanks for the reference to the video...will seek that one out....further to the card, am assuming there is a read/write overhead for the card as well as simply keeping it energized but it must be very modest in demand.

You answered a question I hadn't asked but wondered about...the purported 128Gb limit for the SD is not a hard boundary if you can read the 200Gb offered by your card.

Best