IGNORED

Pono Player Firmware Update

1.0.6 is now available. Among other things, it supposedly fixes the notorious "long DSD files" problem. we'll know soon enough. I have a date with the first movement of Mahler Symphony No. 1.

https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCPage?oId=a201500000BtIphAAF&pageKey=product&type=Update

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 2 years later...

To manually update ponoplayer to Firmware version 1.0.6.

Download the file  "pono_1.0.6.update"  to any folder on your computer. 

You have to be able to see hidden files and directories. On a Mac, the terminal command  "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" does the trick. You do have to relaunch finder for the hidden files to show up.

- Close DOWN the PonoMusicWorld or PMV application 
- Connect ponoplayer to computer and enter Transfer Mode
- Copy & Paste the downloaded file into the   " .pono"    folder on your player's internal memory
- Delete or rename the file "firmware.xml" found in that same ".pono" folder  
- Remove your USB cable

You should now be prompted to run the firmware update. If not, power the ponoplayer OFF and ON again.

https://www.ponomusic.com/cc_topic?id=0TO15000000LfK0

Hopefully it is kosher to upload the firmware update file here.

pono_1.0.6.update

3 hours ago, DaQi said:

Just updated mine using the instructions above and the file loaded here; worked like a charm!

Still use the player when I travel. Haven't logged on to their site in ages. JRMC seems to be able to manage the songs on it just fine.  

Can you manage playlists and such with JRMC? I've just been manually loading albums onto mine recently.

52 minutes ago, new_media said:

Can you manage playlists and such with JRMC? I've just been manually loading albums onto mine recently.

I'm using JRMC Smart Lists, originally created with PMW to sync my mSDs. Because the sync speed of my player is quite slow, I've chosen to sync my mSDs directly with the USB-3 card reader of my PC. After the first scanning, the PonoPlayer has no problems to read/play the files and playlists on the mSDs.

This topic is actually discussed in the PonoMusic Community https://www.ponomusic.com/cc_topic?id=0TOA0000000LaMg. You should log in and ask your questions there.

I use smartlists to manager it using JRMC. Loading and syncing is painfully slow so I may take the advice of taking the cards out and handling them directly. Other huge complaint with the Pono player is the battery will go dead unless you shut it down when not using it. When I turn it on it takes several minutes (yes, I am not exaggerating here) to scan my library every time I turn it on which is a pain. Otherwise it works well and sounds great. 

I used to be VERY active on the forum but it just got boring and dull so I stopped. For a while I was chasing points and was in the top ten on the forum. 

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

Just bought a new black Pono Player as the discount was so compelling and am now just trying to get my bearings in the "end times" of the Pono World.   I easily see the drive mount and have used "drag and drop".  All is good but am wondering what software and other items may still be available to a user or are these, by and large, no longer downloadable?  

Is there a link for the PONO Musc software for Mac and is the Pono community still alive, etc?  The player sounds great but wondering if I  may have let a great price cloud my judgement.

Thanks for any thoughts you may be willing to share.

Warren

4 minutes ago, wdw said:

All is good but am wondering what software and other items may still be available

Probably the main thing is to have the latest firmware version so that any early version glitches are fixed (might also include the ability to play DSD?). Looks like this web page might still be active:

https://www.ponomusic.com/pmv

Hopefully that includes the firmware. As far as the software, drop and drag is what I usually use over Pono's file manager. Put all your albums in the "Music" sub-directory.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

4 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Probably the main thing is to have the latest firmware version so that any early version glitches are fixed (might also include the ability to play DSD?). Looks like this web page might still be active:

https://www.ponomusic.com/pmv

Hopefully that includes the firmware. As far as the software, drop and drag is what I usually use over Pono's file manager. Put all your albums in the "Music" sub-directory.

Many thanks..I did try the PMV link but it leads to a blank page stating the link has been disabled.  Drag and drop is fine by me.  How do you access the "Setting" menu?  Is this a control on the player or within the Music Vault software?   

Just listening for the first time and do think this little guy sounds quite nice.

You will find the settings options on the player itself. I have balanced heaphones and have to reset for balanced operation if I disconnect them.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

1 minute ago, beetlemania said:

You will find the settings options on the player itself. I have balanced heaphones and have to reset for balanced operation if I disconnect them.

Thought that would be the case...how do you invoke the menu?  And thanks for this.

Just swipe left or right on the main menu options. It looks like the "how to" videos are still live:

https://www.ponomusic.com/contactus

@wdw you really don't need the PMV software, even if your unit requires a firmware update which can also be copied manually into the appropriate place on the device.  I believe the final firmware update was version 1.0.6.

Via PM I will share my download folder containing a copy of the software, the firmware update, and a link+archive of a relevant Pono Community post.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

7 minutes ago, left channel said:

@wdw you really don't need the PMV software, even if your unit requires a firmware update which can also be copied manually into the appropriate place on the device.  I believe the final firmware update was version 1.0.6.

Via PM I will share my download folder containing a copy of the software, the firmware update, and a link+archive of a relevant Pono Community post.

@left channel

Yes, I'm beginning to realize that the PMV software may just be problematic and simple drag and drop is all I need.  My thanks for your help.  Always a joy to be a member of this community and to see the assistance it so freely offers.

One last one...what kind of battery life are you getting when on the road and listening to music?  Does the addition of the SD Card noticeably increase the battery demands?  (OK...two!) ...maybe three!  Can you realistically run two phones simultaneously? (recognizing the losses involved, natch) Thanks,WW

One advantage of PMV is that it's far easier to create playlists, but I pretty much don't use those.

I get about 5-6 hours per charge. There is a youtube video that shows how to replace the battery when it comes to that.

I put in a 200 GB SD card - I have no idea if that effects battery demands. Is there a reason it might?

3 hours ago, beetlemania said:

One advantage of PMV is that it's far easier to create playlists, but I pretty much don't use those.

I get about 5-6 hours per charge. There is a youtube video that shows how to replace the battery when it comes to that.

I put in a 200 GB SD card - I have no idea if that effects battery demands. Is there a reason it might?

Thanks for the reference to the video...will seek that one out....further to the card, am assuming there is a read/write overhead for the card as well as simply keeping it energized but it must be very modest in demand.

You answered a question I hadn't asked but wondered about...the purported 128Gb limit for the SD is not a hard boundary if you can read the 200Gb offered by your card.

Best