IGNORED

Uptone Regen and your DAC. What DAC do you use?

Looks like I should just get off the pot. :)

If your real first name is Bas, then I see you just did. Thanks!

FYI all: Looks like there are only about 25 of the July 18th batch left unsold. After those are spoken for, I think we will be looking at early July. But I'm going for 250 pieces this time, and now that the Japan holiday is over I'll be able to overlap case orders. PCBs here in the USA are no problem. Right now I am struggling to source enough of the Mean Well 7.5V PS to include with the kits. If it is not one thing it is another. But I am not complaining. John and I are thrilled that everyone is enjoying the REGEN so much. I can't wait to start shipping all these new "amber" versions right after my vacation.

Ciao,

--Alex C.

Thanks Gsquared - you just triggered another Regen order! :-)

Yes this listening session triggered a Regen order from me too!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Threatening now eh ?

Would be interesting to see how the little gizmo interacts with the Clairixa....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Would be interesting to see how the little gizmo interacts with the Clairixa....

Yes, but especially in combination with the isolated NOS1a. But let me say this : I too will report but people shouldn't take much notice of that if it is for the worse; If that happens I will be the only one anyway ;). But in order to see the interesting - or intriguing of this : for me - and all the NOS1a owners who tried, the Supra is the by far worst of them all. I don't think many will agree with that either. Actually it was the reason that we started making our own USB cable (the Clairixa) because the differences are crazy. And with the attention that requires (not easy at all !) that worked right out of the box for the ultimate better. Not for all though (I think), because there's really much involved in this whole pile of sh*t.

Anyway I hope I can learn from what the Regen brings. As a matter of fact I hope we can all learn from that.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Yes, but especially in combination with the isolated NOS1a. But let me say this : I too will report but people shouldn't take much notice of that if it is for the worse; If that happens I will be the only one anyway ;). But in order to see the interesting - or intriguing of this : for me - and all the NOS1a owners who tried, the Supra is the by far worst of them all. I don't think many will agree with that either. Actually it was the reason that we started making our own USB cable (the Clairixa) because the differences are crazy. And with the attention that requires (not easy at all !) that worked right out of the box for the ultimate better. Not for all though (I think), because there's really much involved in this whole pile of sh*t.

Anyway I hope I can learn from what the Regen brings. As a matter of fact I hope we can all learn from that.

Peter

Hello Peter

Do you have measurements of the output of the NOS1a with the Supra and the Clairixa? I look forward to your testing results with the REGEN too.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

But in order to see the interesting - or intriguing of this : for me - and all the NOS1a owners who tried, the Supra is the by far worst of them all. I don't think many will agree with that either. Actually it was the reason that we started making our own USB cable (the Clairixa) because the differences are crazy. And with the attention that requires (not easy at all !) that worked right out of the box for the ultimate better. Not for all though (I think), because there's really much involved in this whole pile of sh*t.

Peter

Something that interested me: Clearlink with Regen was better than Corning with 6 inch USB adapter cable with Regen; but Corning with solid adapter with Regen was better than Clearlink with Regen. So once again, we are shown that there is no USB cable like no USB cable. ;) (In other words, a solid adapter, at least a short one, seems to not bollix up the sound like a USB cable, even a short one, does.)

I'll again be curious, whenever the Amber Regen arrives, to compare the Corning and Clearlink. It turns out the thin electrical wires used in the Corning confer enough electrical resistance to make some difference in the amount of noise that gets into ground, if I'm understanding correctly. The Clearlink uses quite thin wires as well, so I wonder if anything similar is going on there. Since the Amber already has this resistance built in, that should negate any further advantage from resistance in the USB cable. Alex (Superdad) has said the Corning no longer sounds better than other cables with the Amber Regen; let's see about the Clearlink.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Jud

To put this into some kind of perspective.

30 AWG copper wire, which is thinner than the wire used in USB cables, (20 to 28AWG depending on cable diameter) has only 1.032 ohms resistance for a 10 foot length.

This seems to be way below the resistance needed to help with earth loops.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hello Peter

Do you have measurements of the output of the NOS1a with the Supra and the Clairixa? I look forward to your testing results with the REGEN too.

Hi Jason,

The only useful measurements here (for net result) would be jitter, but sadly my 1GHz analogue scope won't show jitter under 3ps and I am way under that in all (isolated !) circumstances. So yes, what remains is eye pattern stuff which I can easily measure for the frequency involved but I am pretty sure that too won't bring much. I am confident we must think the other way around (say start at the end of the interface (in-DAC) and then back towards the PC, to the mains and ...).

At least I have some spare time the upcoming weeks, which I haven't had for a year or so. I will see what I can make of it.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

To put this into some kind of perspective.

30 AWG copper wire, which is thinner than the wire used in USB cables, (20 to 28AWG depending on cable diameter) has only 1.032 ohms resistance for a 10 foot length.

This seems to be way below the resistance needed to help with earth loops.

Hi Alex,

The Clairixa is 12 AWG. Yes, go figure. So I too have been practicing with implying thinner wire (adding R), but there's another dimension in there. And this is easily overlooked ... (secret for now since I am far away from being sure).

Anyway the interesting is that from the start I was thinking the other way around which is about less resistance and all together, as said, it worked right out of the box. So what I am doing now (but it takes a lot of listening time) is trying to find out when things get for the worse. Small problem : it got unexpectedly better from it (whatever it is what I am doing). But this is about that other dimension. ;);)

Point is also : whatever we do to tweak an inherently 90 Ohm impedance cable (btw in the hope it really is that) will influence the impedance to begin with. So when you start out with something which is right, to next tweak for the better, should be about tweaking for the worse.

And again we lack the equipment which nobody can afford ...

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Something that interested me: Clearlink with Regen was better than Corning with 6 inch USB adapter cable with Regen; but Corning with solid adapter with Regen was better than Clearlink with Regen. So once again, we are shown that there is no USB cable like no USB cable. ;) (In other words, a solid adapter, at least a short one, seems to not bollix up the sound like a USB cable, even a short one, does.)

Hi Jud,

What about this one :

So we always supplied the NOS1 with a 1$ USB cable just because it sounded the best (and say 90% agreed with that no matter the $$ spent on USB cables). But the NOS1 wasn't much under the influence of USB cables. NOS1a is.

So the Clairixa was there and WOW what an improvement over the stock cable. But I actually made a small mistake by not thinking that a same piece of 1$ USB wire was used inside. A customer brought it to my attention. And so hastily I adapted my own NOS1a to "Calirixa" wire inside. The difference ? HUGE again.

... For the WORSE. Unlistenable actually. Tried to get that right by other (like XXHighEnd) means but after 4 days I gave up and put back the 15cm or so of stock cable.

Btw I am often thinking about elastic density. This could be an example of it (resistance gets higher under way). Exploiting it is something else.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Hi Jud,

What about this one :

So we always supplied the NOS1 with a 1$ USB cable just because it sounded the best (and say 90% agreed with that no matter the $$ spent on USB cables). But the NOS1 wasn't much under the influence of USB cables. NOS1a is.

So the Clairixa was there and WOW what an improvement over the stock cable. But I actually made a small mistake by not thinking that a same piece of 1$ USB wire was used inside. A customer brought it to my attention. And so hastily I adapted my own NOS1a to "Calirixa" wire inside. The difference ? HUGE again.

... For the WORSE. Unlistenable actually. Tried to get that right by other (like XXHighEnd) means but after 4 days I gave up and put back the 15cm or so of stock cable.

Btw I am often thinking about elastic density. This could be an example of it (resistance gets higher under way). Exploiting it is something else.

Peter

You need to cyanoacrylate that amber Regen to your USB input :):)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

If your real first name is Bas, then I see you just did. Thanks!

FYI all: Looks like there are only about 25 of the July 18th batch left unsold. After those are spoken for, I think we will be looking at early July. But I'm going for 250 pieces this time, and now that the Japan holiday is over I'll be able to overlap case orders. PCBs here in the USA are no problem. Right now I am struggling to source enough of the Mean Well 7.5V PS to include with the kits. If it is not one thing it is another. But I am not complaining. John and I are thrilled that everyone is enjoying the REGEN so much. I can't wait to start shipping all these new "amber" versions right after my vacation.

Ciao,

--Alex C.

Enjoy your well deserved vacation. Even SUPERdad deserves a rest.

"its all right, its all right

we cant be forever blessed

Still tomorrow's just another working day

And I'm jjst trying to get some rest

That all I'm trying, iks to get some rest".

Enjoy your well deserved vacation. Even SUPERdad deserves a rest.

Thanks Norman. Chaperoning our teenage sons' high school marching band for their Washington, D.C. Memorial Day parade performance and tour of the city--starting with a bus trip and red-eye flight—won't be like lying on the beach somewhere, but it should be a fun family experience.

When I saw all of the hubbub about supports it made me wonder... Couldn't one just cut a hole in a sponge or something to hold the device?

I do hope someone will bring out a kit to support Regen. It places quite a lot of mechanical stress on the DAC USB input.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

When I saw all of the hubbub about supports it made me wonder... Couldn't one just cut a hole in a sponge or something to hold the device?

I'm using a piece of cardboard from the box it was shipped in. :)

I just bought 8 bucks worth of acoustic speaker isolation foam on eBay which I will cut to put under the Amber Regens when I get them in June .
By some reason I avoid anything soft under the components. Wood or metal better suits me. And I love Barry Diament's bowl/ball idea for supporting all components and speakers.
By some reason I avoid anything soft under the components. Wood or metal better suits me. And I love Barry Diament's bowl/ball idea for supporting all components and speakers.

This foam is hardly soft . Very very firm , meant to be used with heavy floor standing speakers .?