IGNORED

Supersonic

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Supersonic is an addon I’ve written for Kodi media center. It has the following capabilities:

1/ Play Qobuz and Tidal streams through HQPlayer or another supported software player.

2/ Play local files through HQPlayer or another supported software player.

3/ Play files from a Subsonic server through HQPlayer or another supported player.

Both HQPlayer and Kodi are, of course, cross platform. Other players are not available on all platforms or they don’t have the necessary features on all platforms for Supersonic to be able to interact with them.

So here are the players which Supersonic currently supports on each platform.

Mac and Linux:

HQPlayer only.

Windows:

1/ HQPlayer

2/ J River media center

3/ Foobar2000

I obviously wrote Supersonic mainly with HQPlayer in mind since it’s my personally preferred player. In recognition that people do use other players for particular features they offer and are quite happy with their sound quality, I’m offering as much support as I can for J River and Foobar under Windows.

The next release will also offer support for the Bughead Emperor family of players. I say “family” because it’s rapidly growing (Infinity Blade, Nontallion…)

None of the other players has the level of external control via a control API of the sort offered by HQPlayer. So that’s why I say I support them as far as I’m able to.

I’ve attached the files you will need, as follows:

1/ Supersonic itself

2/ TinyDB (this should install automatically; but for some reason it doesn't always work, so safer to install it before Supersonic).

3/ The pdf manual (please read it) It only covers Qobuz and Tidal at the moment though Supersonic can also handle local files and Subsonic.

NOTE: My previous effort of 3 years ago was a modification to some existing Qobuz and Tidal add-ons. Supersonic is completely different. You now use the latest version of the Qobuz add-on unmodified. For Tidal you'll need the Tidal2 add-on from arneson (latest version).

As an alternative to these you can also use a UPnP server, such as BubbleUPnP or mconnect on IOS.

Please also make sure you're using the latest versions of HQPlayer and Kodi.

I haven’t been able to do much testing on Linux or had any Linux alpha/beta testers. So testing on Linux and feedback will be especially appreciated.

Additionally please keep in mind that this is offered absolutely without any warranty, so use at your own risk, if you dare!

Thanks,

Geoff

script.module.tinydb.zip

plugin.audio.supersonic.zip

Qobuz through HQPlayer.pdf

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

On Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 11:59 PM, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Supersonic is an addon I’ve written for Kodi media center. It has the following capabilities:

1/ Play Qobuz and Tidal streams through HQPlayer or another supported software player.

2/ Play local files through HQPlayer or another supported software player.

3/ Play files from a Subsonic server through HQPlayer or another supported player.

Both HQPlayer and Kodi are, of course, cross platform. Other players are not available on all platforms or they don’t have the necessary features on all platforms for Supersonic to be able to interact with them.

So here are the players which Supersonic currently supports on each platform.

Mac and Linux:

HQPlayer only.

Windows:

1/ HQPlayer

2/ J River media center

3/ Foobar2000

I obviously wrote Supersonic mainly with HQPlayer in mind since it’s my personally preferred player. In recognition that people do use other players for particular features they offer and are quite happy with their sound quality, I’m offering as much support as I can for J River and Foobar under Windows.

The next release will also offer support for the Bughead Emperor family of players. I say “family” because it’s rapidly growing (Infinity Blade, Nontallion…)

None of the other players has the level of external control via a control API of the sort offered by HQPlayer. So that’s why I say I support them as far as I’m able to.

I’ve attached the files you will need, as follows:

1/ Supersonic itself

2/ TinyDB (this should install automatically; but for some reason it doesn't always work, so safer to install it before Supersonic).

3/ The pdf manual (please read it) It only covers Qobuz and Tidal at the moment though Supersonic can also handle local files and Subsonic.

NOTE: My previous effort of 3 years ago was a modification to some existing Qobuz and Tidal add-ons. Supersonic is completely different. You now use the latest version of the Qobuz add-on unmodified. For Tidal you'll need the Tidal2 add-on from arneson (latest version).

As an alternative to these you can also use a UPnP server, such as BubbleUPnP or mconnect on IOS.

Please also make sure you're using the latest versions of HQPlayer and Kodi.

I haven’t been able to do much testing on Linux or had any Linux alpha/beta testers. So testing on Linux and feedback will be especially appreciated.

Additionally please keep in mind that this is offered absolutely without any warranty, so use at your own risk, if you dare!

Thanks,

Geoff

script.module.tinydb.zip

@Geoffrey Armstrong it's really my deep appreciation to you for your kind advice, effort and patience to help me to go through various issues that I encountered on setting up of your Supersonic addon on Kodi. Finally, I could successfully stream Tidal files to HQPlayer for enjoying the lovely music.

I'm really grateful for your kind help over the past week including the Teamviewer session today to solve my set up problem.

My salute and congratulations to your great work for the Supersonic addon as well as your masterpiece of work - new version of Sound Gallery Music Server to be launched later in this year.

Wish you a great success!

Cheers,

Simon

Thank you very much for your kind words Simon. It was my pleasure and especially nice to be able to talk with somebody from HK, where I lived for a few years.

Warm regards from Monaco where we have the historic grande prix going on right now.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, cittaa said:

I have just installed Subsonic Server 6.1.3 in Synology.
I have added dsf to the list of music files in General Settings.
After Scan Now Media Folders, only dsf files don't appear in Index.
Is it nomal? 

I hope you’re not confusing Subsonic with Supersonic?

Supersonic is a Kodi add-on which does support playing Subsonic streams through HQPlayer and other players. Subsonic is just one of the sources it supports through additional Kodi add-ons, along with Qobuz, Tidal and local files.

On Windows Supersonic can also output to some other external players, apart from HQPlayer.

I can’t recall offhand if Subsonic supports dsf. It’s a question best posed on Subsonic’s own forum.

Geoff

I am now able to offer version 1.5.2. This version improves on navigation when the feature in Supersonic's settings which prevents Kodi’s own playback of Qobuz and Tidal streams is activated. With this feature activated playback only happens in HQPlayer.

Navigation within Kodi's play queue is now reflected within HQPlayer's playlist as you would expect it to be, with this feature activated.

Clearing Kodi's play queue will clear HQPlayer's playlist and loading a new Album/Playlist into Kodi's play queue will load and begin playback in HQPlayer, starting from the first new track in Kodi's play queue. Again, as you would expect.

With these improvements, I believe there is little reason not to use the feature to prevent Kodi’s own playback of Qobuz and Tidal streams. I can’t guarantee it will always be perfectly gapless; but it is close and I believe there is a sound quality advantage to having no playback/processing by Kodi.

Your feedback on this will be appreciated as always.

Geoff

I can't find xbmc.python 2.14.0 anywhere, therefore can't install.
Both 1.50 and 1.52 give the following error message in Kodi 16 jarvis.
I got a error message in Kodi 17.6, too, but didn't run log viewer.
Please let me know your kodi version and add-ons you installed.

2018-06-07_224035.jpg

16 minutes ago, cittaa said:

I can't find xbmc.python 2.14.0 anywhere, therefore can't install.
Both 1.50 and 1.52 give the following error message in Kodi 16 jarvis.
I got a error message in Kodi 17.6, too, but didn't run log viewer.
Please let me know your kodi version and add-ons you installed.

2018-06-07_224035.jpg

My apologies. it's referencing a module which I'm no longer even using in my code; but still had an import statement for.

Obviously this module is not present on all systems. Since we don't need it anyway, I've deleted all references to it in the amended version below.

Please also make sure you install TinyDB if you haven't already. It's also attached.

I'm using Kodi 17.6, therefore please send me the log file for this version if you get any more errors.

You will still see references to xbmc in the log files, even though the name has changed to Kodi.

Geoff

script.module.tinydb.zip

9 hours ago, cittaa said:

I still get the following error message.

2.jpg

1.jpg

9 hours ago, cittaa said:

2.jpg

1.jpg

Once again apologies. … and once again you don’t need it, assuming you’re using HQPlayer. It’s part of support for Bughead that I’m still working on. I will post a new version with the offending code commented out later today.

This code should work and the error only crops up on specific installations of Kodi/Win OS.

Geoff

I tried Supersonic in my dual pc system (HQP pc server + NAA on audio pc), following the instructions of this thread and of the pdf file about Qobuz, but without success. Supersonic doesn't take control of the Qobuz stream, that is forced to the default  audio output setted in Kodi, even if this output is disabled in Windows or muted.

Of course I perfectly followed the instructions about the add-on settings... (I installed also tinyDB).

To be honest, I didn't install Subsonic (because my only interest is to play Qobuz in HQP, I have already other softwares for playing my local files, like Muso and Roon), could it depend on that? I don't think so, if I understood correctly this thread...
Furthermore, when I try to install Supersonic add-on in Kodi, I see the same error described some posts ago, but the add-on is listed as installed. 

Kodi is installed on my pc server, with Windows 10 64bit April Update (v. 1803).

I tried to set Hi-Fi Cable Asio Bridge as output in Kodi (directed to Jplay in dual pc mode) and the reproduction (with mconnect app for iOs) is perfect, but my goal is to use HQP, because I have a T+A dac 8 dsd and the "sweet spot" is dsd512...?

Anyway, thanks in advance to Geoff for his beatiful work for all the audiophile community...?

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

1 hour ago, pocarrie said:

I tried Supersonic in my dual pc system (HQP pc server + NAA on audio pc), following the instructions of this thread and of the pdf file about Qobuz, but without success. Supersonic doesn't take control of the Qobuz stream, that is forced to the default  audio output setted in Kodi, even if this output is disabled in Windows or muted.

Of course I perfectly followed the instructions about the add-on settings... (I installed also tinyDB).

To be honest, I didn't install Subsonic (because my only interest is to play Qobuz in HQP, I have already other softwares for playing my local files, like Muso and Roon), could it depend on that? I don't think so, if I understood correctly this thread...
Furthermore, when I try to install Supersonic add-on in Kodi, I see the same error described some posts ago, but the add-on is listed as installed. 

Kodi is installed on my pc server, with Windows 10 64bit April Update (v. 1803).

I tried to set Hi-Fi Cable Asio Bridge as output in Kodi (directed to Jplay in dual pc mode) and the reproduction (with mconnect app for iOs) is perfect, but my goal is to use HQP, because I have a T+A dac 8 dsd and the "sweet spot" is dsd512...?

Anyway, thanks in advance to Geoff for his beatiful work for all the audiophile community...?

Hi Pocarrie,

Thanks for your feedback. If you mean you're getting the same error messages as cittaa above, then we need to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

No, Supersonic is in no way dependant on Subsonic.

To uninstall Supersonic, please ensure you not only uninstall from within Kodi and quit Kodi; but also remove any plugin.audio.supersonic folder that might have remained in the Kodi add-ons folder on your system. Then restart Kodi and re-install Supersonic from the .zip file you download from here.

The error messages he reported were related to support I'm adding for Bughead Emperor and not needed for HQPlayer. So I stripped out the offending code for him to try to fix the errors. It was a bit strange for me as I have Supersonic running on several versions of Win 10 here and I have beta testers with Win 10 all without these errors. Obviously though not all installations of Kodi or Win 10 are created equally. I also couldn't see anything wrong with the lines of code that caused the problem for cittaa and really do want to solve this.

You can help me by please downloading the last version I posted for cittaa a few posts back, if you haven't already installed that version. If you are still getting errors with that version, I will need the Kodi log file. Please also make sure you turn on all debugging and logging within Kodi's settings to make sure we catch any more errors.

If you need any more help with that just let me know.

There's absolutely no reason why Supersonic should not work with your dual pc/naa set-up using HQPlayer with the Qobuz Kodi add-on, or from a supported UPnP server. So let's see if we can solve this together.

Best,

Geoff

On 6/7/2018 at 10:00 PM, cittaa said:

2.jpg

1.jpg

Here is a new version 1.5.3 which removes the code causing those error messages. I was supposed to upload this last week; but got busy with other things.

This error is a mystery to me as the code works on all the win 10 systems I have and with my beta testers on Win 10. I believe it may be limited to Win 10 server. Only users experiencing this error need to update.

For cittaa and anyone else receiving these errors, please let me know if this version fixes the issue.

Thanks

Geoff

Hello Geoff,

I deleted the supersonic plugin (v. 1.5.2) and re-installed the new version (v. 1.5.3) without problems, and now, at the startup of Kodi, it doesn't show anymore the error message about the Supersonic plugin.

Also, thanks to your help, I have now finally managed to send the stream of Qobuz to HQP (with "mconnect" app for iOs).

It was my mistake, I had set bad in the settings of Supersonic the installation path of HQP ( "R:\HQPlayer desktop 3" instead of  "R:\HQPlayer Desktop 3\HQPlayer-desktop. exe", the second is the correct setting).

The system I use is visibile in my signature. 

thanks again,

Pompeo

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

This made me realise the method for choosing the correct path to HQPlayer within Supersonic's settings could be friendlier.

In all future versions from the one uploaded here it just involves browsing to the HQPlayer-desktop executable app on your system. e.g. HQPlayer-desktop.exe on Windows.

3 hours ago, cittaa said:

When opens kodi, the error message associated with supersonic no longer appears.
However, HQP is not called. music file is played only with kodi itself.
Both kodi and HQP are installed in same windows 10 machine. 

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

If on the same machine, client would normally be “localhost”.

Also any HQPSettings file must be in the correct default location for HQPSettings files. Even if it is, why not keep things as simple as possible to get up and running? I suggest you remove the settings file from here for now and just make sure HQPlayer settings are correct for your DAC.

Also make sure your path to hqp corresponds with where you have hqp installed.

Are you trying to play local music files?

You should enter a path for temporary local files and turn on “Always create temporary local files”. This will get around any problems with non-western file names. It should also sound better, especially if the temp files are written to a Ram disk.