IGNORED

Supersonic

What is Supersonic?

It's a Kodi plug-in that will allow you to play from your Subsonic server to your software player of choice.

You must have Subsonic installed and configured and you will need a license for Subsonic:

Subsonic

The raison d'être of Subsonic is to allow you to stream your own library loss-lessly to wherever you may be, including your car.

If your connection can't handle lossless, Subsonic allows you to transcode on the fly to .mp3.

It's like creating your own personal Tidal or Qobuz service.

…but, you are not obliged to use Subsonic as a remote server. Plenty of Subsonic users are using it purely as a local server at home.

This also means you're not obliged to open up the ports used by subsonic (4040 or 4041 or 4443) on your router for incoming internet access.

Supersonic supports both modes. With "remote" selected you will be able to stream your music files to yourself wherever you may be. These streams will be played through your software player of choice, including HQPlayer.

Remote mode will not support DSD (dsf, dff files) as these are not inherently supported by the Subsonic database.

…with Remote deselected though, Supersonic will support DSD files and of course, it becomes feasible to play other high-rez PCM files as you are on your local network.

Apart from this in Supersonic settings, make sure your login details for your Subsonic server are entered, that you select the "Audiophile" option, that Transcode is deselcted and "Use HQPlayer" if this is your software player of choice. Otherwise the player you've designated to open .m3u/m3u8 playlist files will be used. The Ramdisk option is also available for HQPlayer only at this time.

Because I am exhibiting at the High-End show in Munich next week, my time is very limited to offer support for this.

If you want to try it and you are not already a Subsonic user, I suggest you download, install and configure Subsonic yourself and get familiar with it. Set up is really quite simple and all achieved via a web interface.

Once you are comfortable with using Subsonic itself, install Supersonic in Kodi and give it a try.

NOTE: Although Subsonic allows you to have more than one music library set up at the same time, Supersonic only supports one at a time. You can easily change music libraries though from within the Subsonic web interface. Run a scan to register all files with Subsonic, then run Supersonic from within Kodi.

So for the intrepid icon6.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86110007/software/plugin.audio.supersonic.zip

Have fun!

Geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

Hi Geoff,

Tried installing it on both Kodi Helix and 15 beta (Mac OS X) and got the error "Dependencies not met. Please contact Add-On author."

The dependencies are listed in the file addon.xml within the addon's folder.

They are as follows:

<import addon="script.module.simplejson" version="2.0.10"/>

<import addon="script.module.requests" version="1.0.4" />

<import addon="script.module.beautifulsoup" version="3.0.8"/>

<import addon="script.module.mechanize" version="0.2.5"/>

Normally these should be installed automatically when you install the addon from the .zip file from within Kodi. If they are not, you may have installed it differently or it may be because you're using Kodi 15 Beta.

You might have to install these dependencies manually.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,

Is this the multi platform solution you announced a while back?

Just to be sure I got it: Subsonic is the server acting locally, Kodi is an interface for it, Supersonic is a plugin to make the two work together allowing an external player like HQPlayer. Correct?!

How do you insert a ramdisk in this path that allows for mp3 too?

Kodi has its own interface for tablet/smartphone, hasn't it?

You are correct. Of course HQPlayer doesn't support mp3 though.

For that deselect HQPlayer in Supersonic add-on settings and use Foobar or something else as the default for opening playlist files.

This is a multiplatform solution.

Subsonic can be used locally and remotely.

Geoff

Great!

I am making this solution know on Nexthardware.com for other HQPlayer users.

I have started experimenting installing Subsonic directly on my Synology NAS :)

Scanning music library is taking a long time.

I already have Kodi on my main PC with HQPlayer.

I haven't got to Supersonic yet, but I will report as I have the whole chain system up and running.

Re Supersonic, is it using a ramdisk? Is it possible?

Are you going to implement any new controls made available in HQPlayer?

Regarding mp3, is it possible to convert on the fly to wav?

Great!

I am making this solution know on Nexthardware.com for other HQPlayer users.

I have started experimenting installing Subsonic directly on my Synology NAS :)

Scanning music library is taking a long time.

I already have Kodi on my main PC with HQPlayer.

I haven't got to Supersonic yet, but I will report as I have the whole chain system up and running.

Re Supersonic, is it using a ramdisk? Is it possible?

Are you going to implement any new controls made available in HQPlayer?

Regarding mp3, is it possible to convert on the fly to wav?

I'm thinking of implementing something similar to my iTunes script whereby all non-supported formats, such as .mp3 will be converted to .wav and temporarily written to a Ramdisk for playback. On the Mac this is working very well and conversion is very fast.

At the moment Ramdisk is supported by Supersonic for running HQPlayer itself. To take advantage of this you need to select the Ramdisk option in Supersonic addon settings and name your Ramdisk as directed there.

All necessary HQPlayer files from within the HQPlayer desktop directory must be copied to the root of that Ramdisk.

Note: on some systems Supersonic may not install from the .zip file. You may have to unpack it first and manually copy the "plugin.audio.supersonic" folder to your Kodi add-ons directory.

If you get any complaints in Kodi about Supersonic dependencies not being met, take a look at the addon.xml file within the "plugin.audio.supersonic" folder. This lists the dependencies which are other addons that you also need to have installed.

Normally this shouldn't be necessary and those dependencies should be automatically installed. I mention this just in case you run into any problems, which might happen with the preview of Win 10 for example and/or the latest betas of Kodi.

I wil be implementing the hqp-controls as soon as Miska releases the full featured version, which I believe is nearly ready.

Geoff

Is it possible to have Kodi+Supersonic on iOS/Android and, for example, Subsonic and HQPlayer on main PC?

BTY, do you know if Kodi can work with HQPlayer Embedded?

Is tag management done within Kodi?

Sorry for the many questions.

I don't mind the questions; it's how we all learn :)

Kodi can run on Android devices; but only on Jail-Broken IOS devices, I believe.

I only use the Kodi remote apps on IOS and Android to control a desktop version of Kodi running on the same main PC and that has to be the same PC that HQPlayer is running on.

Kodi needs to talk to the OS that in turn talks to HQPlayer.

I don't believe HQPlayer embedded would work, because what Supersonic does is to write playlists and then tell the OS to open these playlists with HQPlayer Desktop. I believe only HQPlayer Desktop has the ability to open these playlists and start playback automatically from the first track. You could also check this with Miska though.

Tagging is handled by your library manager of choice and the Subsonic server should respect those tags.

Something you can do is to create playlists (smart or dumb) within say, J River, then export those playlists in .m3u/m3u8 format and using the Subsonic web interface to import those playlists into Subsonic.

Now the playlists will be available to Supersonic!

Additionally if you're concerned about performance on your main PC you could always use an NAA to divide the chores so that HQPlayer Desktop on the main PC does the heavy lifting and the HQPlayer NAA app does the rendering on the NAA box.

Geoff

With Kodi version 14.2 on Linux I have also the error message

"Dependencies not met. Please contact Add-On author."

Is that when installing from the .zip file from within Kodi?

If so, try just dragging the unzipped folder to your addons folder within your Kodi installation.

Ok, manual installation is fine. I am launching subsonic with a systemd service. This is the command executed (as user subsonic):

java -Xmx150m -Dsubsonic.home=/var/lib/subsonic -Dsubsonic.host=127.0.0.1 -Dsubsonic.port=4040 -Dsubsonic.httpsPort=0 -Dsubsonic.contextPath=/ -Dsubsonic.defaultMusicFolder=/var/music -Dsubsonic.defaultPodcastFolder=/var/music/Podcast -Dsubsonic.defaultPlaylistFolder=/var/playlists -Djava.awt.headless=true -verbose:gc -jar subsonic-booter-jar-with-dependencies.jar

I can connect to subsonic with localhost:4040 from a browser but from inside Kodi:

Error contacting server.
[Errno 111] Connection refused

Supersonic configuration:

Server address in Supersonic configuration is http://127.0.0.1

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Geoff, please I need some help to configure the system. A step by step guide would help.

I installed Subsonic on my main PC. I tried to install it on my NAS, but it was excruciatingly slow. I scanned media library and removed remote and transcoding - OK.

I installed Kodi and Supersonic, by dragging zip content in add-on directory. Supersonic is visible and enabled - OK.

Now I need to configure it. I inserted server address localhost:4040 or 127.0.0.1:4040 + user + pw. When I launch it, I get an error: "Script failed: Supersonic".

What ip address should I use?

Once Supersonic is configured properly and launched, should I be able to see my media library in Kodi/Music?

Same here: Script failed (with localhost:4040 or 127.0.0.1:4040)

In the kodi log:

11:10:19 T:140439558534912  NOTICE: get_music_folders
11:10:19 T:140439558534912  NOTICE: queries: {'c': 'xbmc', 'f': 'json', 'p': 'password', 'u': 'admin', 'v': '1.4.0'}
11:10:19 T:140439558534912  NOTICE: getting http://127.0.0.1:4040/rest/getMusicFolders.view?c=xbmc&f=json&p=amleto&u=admin&v=1.4.0
11:10:19 T:140439558534912   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                            - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                           Error Type: <type 'exceptions.KeyError'>
                                           Error Contents: ('musicFolder',)
                                           Traceback (most recent call last):
                                             File "/home/piero/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.supersonic/default.py", line 149, in <module>
                                               subsonic.get_music_folders()
                                             File "/home/piero/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.supersonic/resources/lib/Subsonic/Subsonic.py", line 84, in get_music_folders
                                               folders = self.listify(payload['musicFolders']['musicFolder'])
                                           KeyError: ('musicFolder',)
                                           -->End of Python script error report<--
11:10:19 T:140440598738688   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP returned error 404
11:10:19 T:140440598738688   ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Connect, didn't get any data from stream.
11:10:19 T:140440598738688   ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://USERNAME:[email protected]:80/web/epgnownext?bRef=1%3A7%3A1%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0%3AFROM%20BOUQUET%20%22userbouquet%2Evh04%2Etv%22%20ORDER%20BY%20bouquet>
11:10:19 T:140441033623488   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.audio.supersonic/
11:10:19 T:140441033623488   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.audio.supersonic/) failed
11:10:19 T:140439558534912  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Geoff, please I need some help to configure the system. A step by step guide would help.

I installed Subsonic on my main PC. I tried to install it on my NAS, but it was excruciatingly slow. I scanned media library and removed remote and transcoding - OK.

I installed Kodi and Supersonic, by dragging zip content in add-on directory. Supersonic is visible and enabled - OK.

Now I need to configure it. I inserted server address localhost:4040 or 127.0.0.1:4040 + user + pw. When I launch it, I get an error: "Script failed: Supersonic".

What ip address should I use?

Once Supersonic is configured properly and launched, should I be able to see my media library in Kodi/Music?

It sounds as though you've done everything correctly. Can you send me the kodi log file so I can check on that Supersonic error?

One possibility is that if your music library is on the NAS your main PC running Kodi/Supersonic must be connected to the NAS. Is that the case?

Thanks,

Geoff

It sounds as though you've done everything correctly. Can you send me the kodi log file so I can check on that Supersonic error?

One possibility is that if your music library is on the NAS your main PC running Kodi/Supersonic must be connected to the NAS. Is that the case?

Thanks,

Geoff

Please PM me your email address

You have used this installation with Windows 10.

My Win10 installation is clean and it has only HQPlayer installed.

After an automatic installation of Java, I installed Subsonic.

Service is started, however, I cannot open Subsonic at Computer Audiophile - CA - Where HiFi and High Tech Converge.

I checked firewall - Subsonic is ticked both private and public.

I cannot go on. Suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...