IGNORED

LP playback within $1000

Are used or DIY potential solutions or must everything be new?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Is it possible to combine decent LP playback system within a budget of $1000? (Turntable, amp, speakers?). Thanks for any suggestion.

I would say it's definitely possible to do this within budget but alot depends on your taste and willingness to go DIY and/or used. You really need to define decent. For some 1k won't buy a "decent" cartridge.

Actually I was asked about this by some young lady who is far away from everything audiophile (happy!). She want to play some LPs and she is going to spend around $1000. I think she needs something simple, good sounding and not complicated. I have no ideas/experience here and ask for any inputs. DIY/used will not work, I guess. I did some research in the net and found, for example, such sets:

1. Pro-Ject Debut Carbon > Pro-Ject Phono Box > Audio Engine A5

2. Audio-Technica AT-LP120 > Marantz PM5004 Integrated > Polk Audio RTI AI

3. Audio Technica AT-LP120 > Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 > PSB Alpha B1S

What do you think?

Saw an interesting suggestion the other day around this cost...

ProJect Debut Carbon Phono USB "turntable" - complete with phono stage and Ortofon 2M cartridge (which is decent if budget) with a set of Q-Acoustics BT3 powered speakers. Could easily replace the speakers with alternative powered/active speakers. Total price (in UK) £750 - add in a budget interconnect for £30.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What do you think?

You'd want to ask is she is happy purely with the turntable or are other inputs going to be desirable?

The Pro-Ject would be my choice over the AT-LP120. In fact a very similar setup to my suggestion...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Actually I was asked about this by some young lady who is far away from everything audiophile (happy!). She want to play some LPs and she is going to spend around $1000. I think she needs something simple, good sounding and not complicated. I have no ideas/experience here and ask for any inputs. DIY/used will not work, I guess. I did some research in the net and found, for example, such sets:

What do you think?

I own a Pro-Ject TT (not the Debut) and am pleased with the sound and construction quality. For electronics, as well as the Pro-Ject there is the Schiit Mani phono preamp and Sys volume control preamp with a switch for 2 inputs, which would give some flexibility.

At this price point, I think the choice of powered speakers is a wise one.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I would also agree that the simpler the better would be a good approach here. Perhaps a TT with built in phono stage? That's one less box, cable, etc. Basically TT>Speakers.

The AT LP-120 has a built in phono, and while it's nothing to write home about, it can be turned off if someone wanted to invest in another preamp later. You can even get 'crazy' with well-documented mods online to remove the pre-amp altogether for a more pure signal path as well.

The LP-120 is not as nice on the eye as the ProJect/Music Hall tables, but it does sound great for the price and is also a bit sturdier if there's children with little arms reaching up, etc.

Is it possible to combine decent LP playback system within a budget of $1000? (Turntable, amp, speakers?). Thanks for any suggestion.

Rega RP1 (£230 in UK) probably leaves c.$700 over for a budget integrated amp with integral MM phono stage ( do NAD still do one?) plus speakers to choice and basic speaker cable. Looks do-able to me.

Refurbishing a used TT is a tricky & often wasteful proposition.

If you are not well versed & experienced with TT's, alignment, tracking & many other variables associated with proper set-up, well, for many, it becomes overwhelming & the end result is often disappointing when compared to the investment in time & money.

For someone not familiar or just getting started in analog spinners, I recommend this:

LINK

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!