IGNORED

External USB HDD Recommendations?

At this point in time I am leaning toward buying an Auralic Aries with the music stored on an external USB hard drive. Are there any things I should be looking for in the drives that would make them more or less suitable for this purpose? If you have specific brand and model suggestions, I would welcome that as well, but it would be nice to know why so as to advance my education. Thanks.

Mark

At this point in time I am leaning toward buying an Auralic Aries with the music stored on an external USB hard drive. Are there any things I should be looking for in the drives that would make them more or less suitable for this purpose? If you have specific brand and model suggestions, I would welcome that as well, but it would be nice to know why so as to advance my education. Thanks.

Mark

Nope, just buy one as big as you need with space to spare. Oh, and don't forget to have a backup plan in place.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I am planning on doing the same thing. Since the Aries can only address one hard drive, I am going to get a 6TB drive to fit all the files I listen to most.

Thanks, it's good to know someone else is thinking the same way.

6TB? You must have a lot of music. I read somewhere on this site that most people have less than 1TB. I wonder if the Aries would allow you to attach a USB hub to connect more than one drive. Probably not a good idea, but I can't help being curious.

Mark

Nope, just buy one as big as you need with space to spare. Oh, and don't forget to have a backup plan in place.

Thanks. Yes, I'm a firm believer in backups. I do photography and long ago realized when the file is gone the picture is lost forever. No negative or slide to go back to. At least with music I still have the CDs for most of it.

Mark

Thanks, it's good to know someone else is thinking the same way.

6TB? You must have a lot of music. I read somewhere on this site that most people have less than 1TB. I wonder if the Aries would allow you to attach a USB hub to connect more than one drive. Probably not a good idea, but I can't help being curious.

Mark

Do you want the USB Hub such that it is easier to swap hard drives, or to try and have multiple hard drives available at once? I know the latter won't work and have never tried the former.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Do you want the USB Hub such that it is easier to swap hard drives, or to try and have multiple hard drives available at once? I know the latter won't work and have never tried the former.

I was just thinking that maybe if I ran out of space on my hard drive I could add a second drive via a usb hub. Save me the trouble of transferring the files to a larger drive.

This was just a curious thought that popped in my head, and doesn't really matter one way or the other. I'll just be sure to start with a large enough drive. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Mark

I was just thinking that maybe if I ran out of space on my hard drive I could add a second drive via a usb hub. Save me the trouble of transferring the files to a larger drive.

How hard is it to transfer your library to another drive? You plug it in, make a few mouse clicks, and go to bed. When you wake up in the morning, it's done.

An extraneous USB hub can degrade your SQ. They can be poorly shielded and noisy. Think of the extra circuitry, connectors, etc. And, the powered ones use an additional SMPS.

You are better off buying a new, bigger external HDD. Storage is cheap nowadays. Relegate your current HDD to backup duty.

How hard is it to transfer your library to another drive? You plug it in, make a few mouse clicks, and go to bed. When you wake up in the morning, it's done.

I realize we're not talking about physical labor here. But, I'm lazy enough to want to figure out easier ways of doing things.

An extraneous USB hub can degrade your SQ. They can be poorly shielded and noisy. Think of the extra circuitry, connectors, etc. And, the powered ones use an additional SMPS.

You are better off buying a new, bigger external HDD. Storage is cheap nowadays. Relegate your current HDD to backup duty.

Even though I'm lazy, SQ does make a difference to me. Thanks for the info.

Mark

This was just a curious thought that popped in my head, and doesn't really matter one way or the other. I'll just be sure to start with a large enough drive. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Mark

It was a good question, others have asked as well, wanting to have multiple hard drives available with different content for the Aries. However the Aries as noted will only support one hard drive at a time.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs