IGNORED

New Keith Jarrett 24/96 remasters on Qobuz

Bit the bullet and downloaded "Shades" in 24/96. One of my favorite Jarrett Quartet albums. Tough decision, as I already own the original vinyl and the CD, which I bought for something like $35 because it was out of print. The download was on sale at HDT, and I had a code so the price was very reasonable.

Result? It sounds great! Much better than the CD: clearer - easier to hear detail. Doesn't have that "metallic edge" that CDs sometimes do - and the CD I have of it did. Very happy with this purchase. Unfortunately, it has me thinking about buying some more hi-res of albums I only have the Redbook version of.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

e. Unfortunately, it has me thinking about buying some more hi-res of albums I only have the Redbook version of.

I have at least 2-3 more on my shopping list. However, I just am a bit put off by the pricing policy here. €20 for 45 min on average is just what stops me from buying all of them. I'm waiting for an upcoming special offer at Qobuz or Highresaudio for the others. That said, Standards vol. 1, my other favorite, will probably be before that.

e. Unfortunately, it has me thinking about buying some more hi-res of albums I only have the Redbook version of.

I have at least 2-3 more on my shopping list. However, I just am a bit put off by the pricing policy here. €20 for 45 min on average is just what stops me from buying all of them. I'm waiting for an upcoming special offer at Qobuz or Highresaudio for the others. That said, Standards vol. 1, my other favorite, will probably be before that.

Call me Schizophrenic, I just ordered Standards vol. 1 and My Song from Qobuz (gotta save them from bankruptcy :-) Downloading now in 24/192. The rest will have to wait until the next promo code.

Just for the fun of it, as Qobuz offers it, I'll download both 24/96 and 24/192 in parallel and see if I can hear a difference.

And obviously, once you listen to the first track, all remorse about overpaying is gone. My Song just sounds great.

That's one of the things I like about downloads: instant gratification. You decide to buy, 5 min later you listen. No CD shops, no waiting for Amazon delivery, etc.

Here's Musicscope on Country:

No idea what the thing at 77khz is, but otherwise looks legit to me.

01-04-Jon_Christensen-Country-SMRP.m4a_report.png

And for comparison, the same song in 24/96. Looks like exactly the same file, same DR and everything. So this could be a nice test case for somebody with a very resolving system to check whether there are differences between 24/96 and 24/192. I'll give it a try on my Sennheisers later on.

01-01-Keith_Jarrett-Meaning_Of_The_Blues-SMR.m4a_report.png

After buying superb Belongings and almost the same quality My Songs, I am so tempted to buy Changes, which sound great also over the web, but 20EUR for 35 minutes of music, c'mon! Anyone aware of any promo codes?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I bought Mysteries (from Prostudiomasters) and it sounds great.

Curious there is no "Death and the Flower" available yet. Hopefully soon.

This is the only album that has been previously released in hi-rez, on SACD in japan:

SA-CD.net - Keith Jarrett: Death and the Flower

So maybe it wasn't part of the 70th anniversary remastering session for that reason. But it could have been released at the same time as the others.

Claude

This is the only album that has been previously released in hi-rez, on SACD in japan:

SA-CD.net - Keith Jarrett: Death and the Flower

So maybe it wasn't part of the 70th anniversary remastering session for that reason. But it could have been released at the same time as the others.

That's the reason I think. Prior remasters before the 70th anniversary edition sound different than the recent ones which to my ear are stunningly good, especially Belonging, My Song and Changes. They all have quite similar sonic signature.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Bit the bullet and downloaded "Shades" in 24/96. One of my favorite Jarrett Quartet albums. Tough decision, as I already own the original vinyl and the CD, which I bought for something like $35 because it was out of print. The download was on sale at HDT, and I had a code so the price was very reasonable.

Result? It sounds great! Much better than the CD: clearer - easier to hear detail. Doesn't have that "metallic edge" that CDs sometimes do - and the CD I have of it did. Very happy with this purchase. Unfortunately, it has me thinking about buying some more hi-res of albums I only have the Redbook version of.

Great news...we do live a great age when these albums are just click away...Keith J. being the master. Do, on occasion, miss those wonderful Saturday mornings down to the records store leafing through the stack, the guy with the ponytail working there, with a sniff, with a sniff like he could easily have written half of the stuff for sale....in those days music was far more tactile...the shrink wrap, the cover art, turning on the belt-drive, possibly some modest intoxicant and then letting the arm/needle make it's journey downward...that was such lovely image, (a multi thousand dollar mechanical device that could be broken in a moment): the vinyl experience.

but this stuff just blows away any vinyl nostagia,

Musicophile, on your recommend will download Standard Vol.1. Anyone tried Creation?

Best,

WW

Result? It sounds great! Much better than the CD: clearer - easier to hear detail.

I've seen that the hi-rez releases are a bit more dynamically compressed than the Impulse! Years box sets from the late 90's that I have. Not a lot (DR14 vs DR11 for some tracks), but it could have the effect of making quieter details more obvious.

Claude

Well, my CD of Shades is on the Impulse Label, but it was imported from Japan - it's a Japanese release. All 4 cuts show DR 12.

The 24/96 download also shows an average of 12, but 3 cuts show DR12, and one 13. So it's a safe bet it doesn't have added compression.

Interestingly, the HDT 24/96 is on the Verve Reissues Label. Apparently common for old Impulse material, as I think both Verve and Impulse now belong to Universal.

I've seen that the hi-rez releases are a bit more dynamically compressed than the Impulse! Years box sets from the late 90's that I have. Not a lot (DR14 vs DR11 for some tracks), but it could have the effect of making quieter details more obvious.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I purchased "Survivor's Suite". It's one of his best albums, and it sounds great. As good as the Impulse albums are, this is by far the pinacle of the American Quartet. And the ECM recording tops Impulse as well. Honestly though, I can't really bother with a comparison with the CD. It would just get in the way of enjoying the music.

I purchased "Survivor's Suite". It's one of his best albums, and it sounds great. As good as the Impulse albums are, this is by far the pinacle of the American Quartet. And the ECM recording tops Impulse as well. Honestly though, I can't really bother with a comparison with the CD. It would just get in the way of enjoying the music.

Agree. Im my case it was pure enjoyment.

BTW, I was lucky as well winning exclisive Keith Jarret poster on ECM prize draw as well. Whooo ;-)

--

Krzysztof Maj

On its original LP release Survivors' Suite was sounding awesome even in comparison to excellent ECM recording standards of those times. Only Byablue from Impulse! was trying to climb to the same aural summit. In contrary, Shades and Mysteries LPs sounded not right at all, I remember very well my disappointment when got both recordings. Both following Survivors' and Byablue CD transfers were not good, but I believe Survivors' suffered more.

On its original LP release Survivors' Suite was sounding awesome even in comparison to excellent ECM recording standards of those times. Only Byablue from Impulse! was trying to climb to the same aural summit. In contrary, Shades and Mysteries LPs sounded not right at all, I remember very well my disappointment when got both recordings. Both following Survivors' and Byablue CD transfers were not good, but I believe Survivors' suffered more.

Have you tried any of the new highres transfers? To my ears all of them are excellent.

Have you tried any of the new highres transfers? To my ears all of them are excellent.
Yes, I tried some. They are much, much better than CDs. I can not make sure comparison with LPs though, as I was comparing Jarrett's LPs with CDs 20 years ago - I do not listen LPs since then. In my my memory I still hear the wonderful ECM sound, but it is a memory. Anyway, new hi-rez releases are as close to originals as it is possible with modern computer audio.
  • 2 weeks later...
Both following Survivors' and Byablue CD transfers were not good, but I believe Survivors' suffered more.

The CD transfer of Survivors' Suite seems badly in need of equalization. Maybe a pre-emphasis in the master take wasn't handled correctly. At any rate, I had to play around with EQ for a while before I was able to get something that I consider listenable. (My wife still doesn't consider it listenable, but that's a matter of musical taste.)

The CD transfer of Survivors' Suite seems badly in need of equalization. Maybe a pre-emphasis in the master take wasn't handled correctly. At any rate, I had to play around with EQ for a while before I was able to get something that I consider listenable. (My wife still doesn't consider it listenable, but that's a matter of musical taste.)

What kind of equalozation are you talking about?

--

Krzysztof Maj

A shelving lowpass, treble down 5 dB with a crossover of 6 kHz. This setting may not be perfect -- it was tuned by ear -- but it took a Survivors' Suite CD that sounded unbearably bright to my ears and made it sound fairly decent.

A shelving lowpass, treble down 5 dB with a crossover of 6 kHz. This setting may not be perfect -- it was tuned by ear -- but it took a Survivors' Suite CD that sounded unbearably bright to my ears and made it sound fairly decent.

Hm, could help on some systems. On my side I wouldn't say it's bright, it's just ECM sound from late 70s.

--

Krzysztof Maj