IGNORED

Traditonal SSD vs m.2 SSD pcie sound quality

I know with traditional SSD, you can use the SOTM filter. With the M.2 SSD pcie, it fits right on a slot on the motherboard so it's not possible to add a noise filter. Does it matter? Has anyone compared the two?

I haven't compared the 2, but I would expect a normal SSD supplied via a noise filter such as the SOtM , or better still a low noise +12V to +5V regulated supply, to sound a little better with stored music than a PCI-E version powered via the polluted motherboard supply.Even when using a Linear PSU for the PC itself, I would still expect this to happen, but not to such an extent.

It does of course depend on how resolving your system is, as to whether it matters or not.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I haven't compared the 2, but I would expect a normal SSD supplied via a noise filter such as the SOtM , or better still a low noise +12V to +5V regulated supply, to sound a little better with stored music than a PCI-E version powered via the polluted motherboard supply.

All music is stored on external drives. Perhaps a laptop might be the best comparison as they use the NGFF SSD the most? Your assumptions are logical however.
All music is stored on external drives. Perhaps a laptop might be the best comparison as they use the NGFF SSD the most? Your assumptions are logical however.

Hi Kevin

I am basing my assumptions on my own experience with a 120GB Samsung 840 SSD powered via an internal small low noise +12V to +5V voltage regulator vs. a HDD or SSD powered directly from the same 4 pin (+12V and +5V) Molex power plug. I would expect power via the motherboard to be noisier than a direct feed from the PC's internal PSU.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020