IGNORED

Any audiophiles here into Electronica

You are spot on it has been a challenge to combine my love of tubes with electronic music. It boiled down to the right amp design. The naf is push pull dual mono with huge dynamics coupled with 100 db efficient speakers. Tube warmth without the woolly bass.

Good to read that it is possible. I had to swap the tubes as the combo with the speakers was just not fast enough for the beat.

Good to read that it is possible. I had to swap the tubes as the combo with the speakers was just not fast enough for the beat.

I think the speakers play a big part for sure, the matterhorns are horn loaded and very efficient. Even on full tubes they are blisteringly fast. Did you swap the tubes out completely or try tube rolling?

Mac Mini 2012 SSD 8 GB Ram running Audirvana 2.1 > Music Library - Firewire 800 Lacie Rugged 2 TB External HDD > IFi iUsb > Gemini and Mercury Digital Cables > Lampizator Big 5 Dueland Cast Caps > New Audio Frontiers Supreme Special Edition 300b Integrated Amp > Bastanis Matterhorn Speakers > Antipodes Komako Speaker Cables and Interconnects > Home made power cords with Furutech sockets and IEC Connectors > Primacoustic Absorption panels

I may have been late coming to her work but I love the stuff by Juana Molina and think she can get away with being described as electronica.

I also think Biosphere is near the top for ambient.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Röyksopp yet. Their latest release is outstanding imo.

I also listen to..

Tycho

Trentemøller

Shpongle, Infinity Project, Celtic Cross, Younger Brother (anything involving Simon Posford basically)

Burial

Yello (of course, my 'desert island artist')

Machinedrum

Recondite

Kraftwerk (of course)

Leftfield

Massive Attack

Mike Oldfield (does he count?)

OMD

Japan

David Sylvian

Moby

And yes, valves can work beautifully with electronica.

Quite a few good ones mentioned already. Here are some of my favourites:

Aphex Twin (incl. Polygon Window, The Tuss etc.)

Luke Vibert (incl. Wagon Christ, Plug, Kerrier District etc.)

Drexciya (incl. The Other People Place, Transllussion)

Dopplereffekt

Aleksi Perälä (check out his bandcamp)

Trackermatte (check out his bandcamp)

Jodey Kendrick (incl. Black Narcissus)

Cylob

Global Goon

Chris Clark

mu-Ziq

Beatwife

Model 500

Simian Mobile Disco

Tim Hecker

Biosphere

Squarepusher

Karsten Pflum

Ceephax/Ceephax Acid Crew

DMX Krew

Dave Monolith (incl. MNLTH, Photodementia)

Legowelt

Boards of Canada

EOD/CN

These are the electronic artists I listen to most. There are others too. I' mac big fan of this genre.

• 5 months later...
I assume audiophiles who listen to these genres are the exception rather than the norm but was keen to throw it out there.

Most audio stores seem to share your assumption. I really don't understand why though. As Electronic Music fans we listen to the complete sound spectrum, rather than specific, favoured instruments.

And, in my experience, the makers of electronica are deep into sound: in using electronics to make sound and also to reproduce it. That's why I always take one of Aphex Twin's sound engineers with me when I go to audition equipment!

Most played this year?

Aphex Twin's Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Part 2

Some of the introverted, melancholic, glacial, minimalism of the recent sino-grime revival:

Visionist's I'm Fine Part 1 and I'm Fine Part 2

Fatima Al Qadiri's Asiatisch album on Hyperdub (the same label as Burial)

• 2 months later...

A fantastic resource that I've found for new EDM is Ektoplazm - Free Music Portal and Psytrance Netlabel - MP3, FLAC, and WAV Downloads where they have all sorts of stuff (mostly psytrance and derivatives thereof). All the artists on there have released their music under the Creative Commons license so it's fully free and legal to download. The best part is that each release on the site can be had in mp3, FLAC or WAV.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

I second Jon Hopkins and Nicholas Jaar. The latters recent release on R&S (Fight) was very nice. I would love to hear more Darkside stuff though.

I'm listening to a lot of DJ Stingray (313) at the moment. Really great Detroit electro. I am also really digging a couple of albums made almost entirely using only a Buchla Music Easle synth: Donnacha Costello's "Love From Dust" and Anthony Child's "Electronic Recordings from the Maui Jungle Vol 1". The latter in particular is blowing me away, as is his recent release (From Farthest Known Objects) under his Surgeon alias. This is the squelchiest, most organic and alien sounding Techno I have heard for a while, and is probably going to be a 2016 aoty contender for me...if it isn't, then 2016 will be a great year for electronic music.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in to a lot of the previously mentioned artists but some of my favorite ambient/electronic albums are by the very prolific Pete Namlook and/or Klaus Schulze. Just love those old school analog synthesizers.

Agreed. This is one of my go-to ambient journeys:

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

There is a Dutch radio station, Radio538, which streams live from their studio DJ shows on Friday and Saturday nights. Great way to hear the latest. They have a video feed too.

Friday from 21:00 : Global Dance Chart, followed by

Armin van Buuren's State of Trance, then Martin Garrix, and ending with Tïesto.

Saturday starting at 20:00: Dance Department, followed by Hardwell, then Nicky Romero, then Afro Jack, Fedde le Grand and ending with David Guetta.

http://www.538.nl/radio

Free! Hard to beat.