IGNORED

PerfectWave combo vs PWT+Berkeley

Masis

I was just wondering how those DACs compared. I am also interested in the comparisson of the SqueezeBox with the PWT, anyone?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Regarding the digital out of the Tranporter vs a Squeezebox. A few friends and I have tested the coax out of both and couldn't hear any difference.

However the TP offer an AES/EBU digital output and the possibility to synchronise to either a DAC or a masterclock and that makes all the difference.

Thanks Fyper,

So after all it does make sense to buy the Transporter, if I have the SB3, but only if I will use it with a DAC that has a word clock out, right ?

Out of curiosity, did you had the chance to compare the Transporter + Esoteric D-05 combo with the Esoteric P-05/D-05 combo ?

Adrian

Hi

I wouldn't say "only if" but, since the TP offers that possibilty...

Synchronisation will reduce jitter, making the already bitperfect TP a superior source.

This is theory, but I don't quite see how better this can be.

I haven't had the chance to test the P05, but I'm personally convinced that it can't be any better than a synchronised TP...

This is obviously just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

S/PDIF should be capable of cleaner performance through better controlled characteristic impedance- but even then, that means S/PDIF connector should be BNC, not RCA. Neither RCA nor XLR connectors have the right characteristic impedance (capacitance to inductance ratio), so they create an impedance discontinuity which causes energy reflections that you can see as overshoot or undershoot in the digital square wave. '

With XLR, the connector is even less ideal than RCA, so the actual means of cable termination is pretty important.

OTOH, AES/EBU uses 5V transmission signals instead of 0.5V, as S/PDIF uses, so it's better suited to longer runs, and with a well designed receiver, may work better in some installations.

I also have to relate the experience of a friend who purchased the PWT+PWD combo, tried a couple of different I2S cables (HDIMI for this unit), neither all that expensive, and found he liked the sound of his combo using one of my Apogee AES/EBU cables better than the I2S or the S/SPDIF. While I'm an engineer and believe in the concept of solid engineering principles guiding design and equipment choices, it's also a good idea to try listening now and then, because you may overlook something unexpected...