IGNORED

New Comparing 24/96 wav vs 24/96 flac vs 16/44.1 wav vs 320 mp3 (working link )

oso

Totally agree, if we're looking for lack of too much artificial coloration. It can do that too, provided the equipment's model you're using does that. It can also provide the coloration liked by some if that's what they want.

Another thing I've noticed with it is that when you're changing parameters, it feels like the sound changes just like when you change a parameter on analogue gear, i.e. it feels very smooth, as opposed to feeling 'discrete' or in little steps with a digital fader or digital plugin.

Hi YashN,

There is some really nice modeling-type software out there. I've got some that models different types of guitar amplifiers. The MH ConsoleX software that comes with the Metric Halo interfaces also has a feature called "Character" that emulates different types of circuits (tube, FET, etc.).

Ultimately, my own preference is not for something modeled. If I considered modeling a given EQ for example, I would much prefer to use the equalizer being modeled rather than the "copy." What I like about the MH EQ, as well as their Channelstrip is that is isn't emulating anything and to my ears, leaves no sound of its own at all. I can, for example, add "bite" to someone's electric guitar in a mix and it sounds like the guitar has more bite rather than sounding like it was equalized at x Hz.

My feeling is that if I can hear the EQ (or whatever process) itself, I won't use it. I think something that sounds "good" is almost as bad as something that sounds bad. Just like when I do an edit for a client: If they say "great edit" I've failed. They've heard the edit and know where it is. If they say "I hear the difference but where is the edit?" I consider it a take. ;-}

Again, some folks want certain sounds and I can certainly see the fun in achieving such. There are many ways to make a record and many ways to create something very enjoyable.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

There is some really nice modeling-type software out there. I've got some that models different types of guitar amplifiers. The MH ConsoleX software that comes with the Metric Halo interfaces also has a feature called "Character" that emulates different types of circuits (tube, FET, etc.).

It doesn't use any of these DSP-types or usual types of model. It is based on a completely different way of processing. Acustica sometimes calls it 'sampling' but I think this gives the wrong impression that it is like the usual sampling we know. In reality, it captures and reproduces the non-linear characteristics of analogue by using Volterra Kernels, which is a bit like how the Taylor approximation series look like in principle.

What I like about the MH EQ, as well as their Channelstrip is that is isn't emulating anything and to my ears, leaves no sound of its own at all.

I haven't checked whether they have that EQ in their list, but if they have, you would be able to do a good comparison. Actually, with the creator part of the Nebula suite, you could do your own part of the 'capture'. Not that you need it since you already have the original equipment.

My feeling is that if I can hear the EQ (or whatever process) itself, I won't use it.

This, we already touched upon.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I found this related piece of information on Wikipedia, which may be of interest:

The Volterra series is a model for non-linear behavior similar to the Taylor series. It differs from the Taylor series in its ability to capture 'memory' effects. The Taylor series can be used for approximating the response of a nonlinear system to a given input if the output of this system depends strictly on the input at that particular time. In the Volterra series the output of the nonlinear system depends on the input to the system at all other times. This provides the ability to capture the 'memory' effect of devices like capacitors and inductors.

[snip]It is also used in electrical engineering to model intermodulation distortion in many devices including power amplifiers and frequency mixers. Its main advantage lies in its generality: it can represent a wide range of systems. Thus it is sometimes considered a non-parametric model.

In mathematics, a Volterra series denotes a functional expansion of a dynamic, nonlinear, time-invariant functional. Volterra series are frequently used in system identification. The Volterra series, which is used to prove the Volterra theorem, is an infinite sum of multidimensional convolutional integrals.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I found this related piece of information on Wikipedia, which may be of interest:

Hi YashN,

Yes understood. But it is still emulating (or modelling), just using a different way to build the model. If this is what you seek, it would appear it is being achieved in the Nebula suite.

I seek something else - to model nothing at all. ;-}

The only hardware EQ I ever liked (indeed, would ever consent to using) was the analog Audio Pallette by Cello, designed by the great Tom Colangelo -- one of the few true audio geniuses I have had the very good fortune to meet and to learn from.

But once I heard ChannelStrip, then MH Strip and MHEQ, I had EQ that does appreciably better at getting out of the way. Now, more than a decade later, I still haven't heard anything to challenge these in terms of this attribute.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

Hi YashN,

Yes understood. But it is still emulating (or modelling), just using a different way to build the model. If this is what you seek, it would appear it is being achieved in the Nebula suite.

A totally different way of modeling - it captures and reproduces with a 'memory' effect. But the proof is in the hearing. I don't necessarily seek to model. I seek great sound, that it is achieving this through modeling (or even if it was done in another way completely) doesn't matter to me. I have zero bias against modeling or for modeling.

The only hardware EQ I ever liked (indeed, would ever consent to using) was the analog Audio Pallette by Cello, designed by the great Tom Colangelo -- one of the few true audio geniuses I have had the very good fortune to meet and to learn from.

But once I heard ChannelStrip, then MH Strip and MHEQ, I had EQ that does appreciably better at getting out of the way. Now, more than a decade later, I still haven't heard anything to challenge these in terms of this attribute.

I'll check the ChannelStrip out. I see people giving it good reviews in the same threads where others give Nebula great reviews, but generally I am done with the chore of installing and testing new plugins.

After hearing Nebula and what it can do, the other plugins had (and still have) very little interest for me. I do have a good, small collection of them, a few are free and a few which come with PT and Reaper.