IGNORED

iMac with Fusion or Flash drive and/or Mini with SSD and/or Thunderbolt Display

Get an i7 with 32gb of RAM and a 1tb ssd... Unless you are using this for music, then get a Mini with the ssd.

LOL! I wish!

It's $2870 delivered for a 21" iMac with an i7, 16gb ram, 512M/Flash, and Applecare.

$4133 delivered for a 27" Retina iMac with an i7, 32gb ram, 512M/Flash, and Applecare.

$3105 delivered to a 27" Retina iMac with an i5, 16gb ram, 1TB Fusion, and Applecare.

$2703 delivered for a Mac Mini with i7, 1TB Fusion, 16gb Ram, 27" Thunderbolt display, and Applecare. ($1622 for the Mini alone.)

$3841 delivered for a Base Mac Pro with 512/Flash, Quad processor, 12gb Ram, and Applecare. (Add $1000 for Thunderbolt display.)

While these prices are all acceptable for pure development / business use, this is a little extreme for what this machine will be doing. ;)

Thus, I figure some CA'er has an iMac a generation or two old they are looking to sell, and it is time to explore that.

-Paul

The problem is, those prices are approaching the cost of another Mac Pro (sans monitor of course) and it's a little overkill, since I may need to add a PC into the Mix, like the Dell 700 series all in one for $1000. What I need is a nice iMac a generation old or so, that handles Bootcamp partitioning and booting from a USB stick with aplomb, and has either Flash or an easily added SSD into it. One of the issues is where this PC is going, it has to look good! Uncluttered, minimal wires, etc. It isn't going in my office space, it is going downstairs. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

LOL! I wish!

It's $2870 delivered for a 21" iMac with an i7, 16gb ram, 512M/Flash, and Applecare.

$4133 delivered for a 27" Retina iMac with an i7, 32gb ram, 512M/Flash, and Applecare.

$3105 delivered to a 27" Retina iMac with an i5, 16gb ram, 1TB Fusion, and Applecare.

$2703 delivered for a Mac Mini with i7, 1TB Fusion, 16gb Ram, 27" Thunderbolt display, and Applecare. ($1622 for the Mini alone.)

$3841 delivered for a Base Mac Pro with 512/Flash, Quad processor, 12gb Ram, and Applecare. (Add $1000 for Thunderbolt display.)

While these prices are all acceptable for pure development / business use, this is a little extreme for what this machine will be doing. ;)

Thus, I figure some CA'er has an iMac a generation or two old they are looking to sell, and it is time to explore that.

-Paul

The problem is, those prices are approaching the cost of another Mac Pro (sans monitor of course) and it's a little overkill, since I may need to add a PC into the Mix, like the Dell 700 series all in one for $1000. What I need is a nice iMac a generation old or so, that handles Bootcamp partitioning and booting from a USB stick with aplomb, and has either Flash or an easily added SSD into it. One of the issues is where this PC is going, it has to look good! Uncluttered, minimal wires, etc. It isn't going in my office space, it is going downstairs. :)

-Paul

Paul, having both an iMac and a Mac Mini it is my recommendation that if you are using the computer for music that you get the Mini. And if you get a used 2011 or newer Mini, do this upgrade yourself for $70 bucks...

OWC DIY Kit: Data Doubler + 60GB Electra 6G SSD... in stock at OWC

No electron left behind.

Paul, having both an iMac and a Mac Mini it is my recommendation that if you are using the computer for music that you get the Mini. And if you get a used 2011 or newer Mini, do this upgrade yourself for $70 bucks...

OWC DIY Kit: Data Doubler + 60GB Electra 6G SSD... in stock at OWC

Oh yes, I use a pair of Minis for my music server. This is to showcase an application I am developing that is similar in some ways to the new Roon software, but really needs a nice big screen to demo with. I mean, the app doesn't need a big screen (it will run on a iPhone or Windows Phone :)) but the demo does. Think screens on the backend database while a user is interacting. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Oh yes, I use a pair of Minis for my music server. This is to showcase an application I am developing that is similar in some ways to the new Roon software, but really needs a nice big screen to demo with. I mean, the app doesn't need a big screen (it will run on a iPhone or Windows Phone :)) but the demo does. Think screens on the backend database while a user is interacting. :)

-Paul

Alright then, I will bow out of this conversation. ;) Good luck Paul.

No electron left behind.

Hi Paul R,

I have a 27” iMac (non-Retina) running Yosemite with a 3.4 GHz Core i7 processor, 768 GB solid state Flash storage, 32GB of RAM, new (in box and unused) keyboard, and new (in box and unused) Magic Mouse.

The iMac is covered by AppleCare until January 18, 2016.

I am a newbie and do not know if it is appropriate to mention prices in this context, so I will omit the price, but I think it is very fair.

If you are interested, please reply and let me know how to contact you directly.

Thanks,

CortlandApple13

(Victor Siegle)

Apple iMac Retina computer > Tidal > AudioQuest Carbon USB cable >

Intona > Curious USB cable > Schist Yggdrasil DAC > Emotiva XLR cables >

Emotiva Stealth 8 powered studio monitors on Auralex MoPAD-XL Isolation Pads.

Alright then, I will bow out of this conversation. ;) Good luck Paul.

Heck no- I didn't mean it like that. I was just agreeing with you that a Mac Mini is (in my mind) the perfect Music server! I do appreciate your advice. It pushed me over the bump of Fusion drive vs. SSD if I order up a new device.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Paul R,

I have a 27” iMac (non-Retina) running Yosemite with a 3.4 GHz Core i7 processor, 768 GB solid state Flash storage, 32GB of RAM, new (in box and unused) keyboard, and new (in box and unused) Magic Mouse.

The iMac is covered by AppleCare until January 18, 2016.

I am a newbie and do not know if it is appropriate to mention prices in this context, so I will omit the price, but I think it is very fair.

If you are interested, please reply and let me know how to contact you directly.

Thanks,

CortlandApple13

(Victor Siegle)

Thanks Victor - I sent you a PM with some information. It does sound like a sweet machine, and to be honest, I hate to pay for a 27" Retina device anyway. I would love to have a 27 Inch Retina, but I sure hate the idea of paying for it. And the processor, memory, flash is far more important in this case. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offers guys - I wimped out and just ordered a 27" iMac Retina, with the 4.0Ghz i7 and a Terabyte of Flash. I figured I could upgrade the memory with what I have here. Arrrrgggghhhh - the Scott in me is screaming, though perhaps not as loud as my wallet... :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein