IGNORED

I have 600 GB of ISO files from my SACDs - how do I play them?

Folks:

I have 600 GB of ISO files and no way to play them. I have tried Audirvana + but no luck. I am guessing I need to convert the ISO files into some other form - DSF or DSD - in order to be able to play them. I would appreciate any insight you may be able to share with me. This is my last obstacle to converting all my CDs,, DVDs, DVD-Audio, and SACDs to a digital form. I am so close, I can almost taste it! 8^)

I am on an iMac...

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Unless there's something wrong with the iso themselves (incomplete, corrupted??), Audirvana or JRiver (Windows/OSX/Linux) can play .ISO.

AuI converter ProRD can extract and convert to ISO to DSF in one go, Windows or OSX, takes a time if you use the gapless feature switched on, but works and sounds very good. For 600GB the investment of AuI converter ProRD would be time and tedium saver for sure. The only program I know of that tags DSF to the file is MP3tag (Windows) Jriver (Windows/OSX), possibly dbpoweramp (Win/OSX), haven't tried that.

Standard zipping tools will cause errors reading SACD_ISO, normal.

If you don't want to spend money on AuI converter ProRD ,have you tried using the SACD_Extract tool (windows/linux) It's a bit clunky to use, the DSF conversion leaves clunky gaps with some DACs, so the idea is to convert to DFF first with no clicks or pops then use Signalyst dff2DSF tool with bogi's automator (which didn't work for me, maybe I didn't have the right MS support software).

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I would recommend converting them to DSF if you cannot play them as ISOs. DSF will give you the capability to tag them as required. Personally I use Yate for that task, though there are many programs you could use.

I choose to use the ISO2DSD tool on my Mac, though as noted some recommend you convert to DSF first and then DSF to avoid any clicks at the end of tracks ( as noted in prior post ).

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Don't know if he's still supporting it, but

ISO2DSD

http://dsd.sonore.us/iso2dsd_OSX_v5.zip

worked great for me. One-step conversion direct to DSF, no muss, no fuss.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

One and a half & wisnon: I have tried Audirvana+ on several ISO files. Perhaps I am using the wrong settings although I can't see any change in settings that would help... Please advise.

bkinbk: XLD soes not seem to have any effect on the ISO files. Again, perhaps I am using the wrong settings...

bplexico & jhwalker: I have downloaded ISSO2DSD and will try that next.

Thanks all for the input!

Mike

One and a half & wisnon: I have tried Audirvana+ on several ISO files. Perhaps I am using the wrong settings although I can't see any change in settings that would help... Please advise.

I suppose you need to explain in more detail how you've used A+. it also plays my handful of ISO files without any problem.

Alternatively, JRiver works as well.

bplexico & jhwalker:

The link you gave (above) provides a non-functional application that generates an error message and then shuts itself down. I have tried a few links that I found on the we that do the same thing. So, ISO2DSD does not seem to be a viable path at this point.

Musicophile:

I have my ISO files on a hard disk that is hooked to my iMac, run through Audirvana+ (which is set for my Schist Loki DAC - which pays a DSF version of Shelly Manne and Bill Evans' Empathy just fine. When I look at the Audirvana+ preferences, I don't see anteing that refers to ISO but I do have the "Audio System" setting set for "Schist Audio DSD Device" and the DSD setting has four possible settings none of which produce sound with an ISO file (NOTE: I am trying a different ISO file with each parameter change to insure that I'm not loading a bad ISO file). I don't see anything else to "adjust in Audirvana+ that might impact the playback of the ISO files. No sound...

So, I'm still stuck at "600 GB of ISO files..." 8^)

Mike

gaoyanhai:

Hate looks like an audio tagger but it doesn't work with ISO files (as far as I can see from the documentation). I don't think my issue is with tagging but with the format of the audio file itself - I need to convert the ISO files into DSF (or DSD) format.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike - The link I provided was slightly different as it notes the following requirements. I suspect the error message you are getting may be due to the fact that you may not have JAVA installed on your Mac.

MAC OSX

1. Download the application and open the folder

2. Right click the iso2dsd_gui.jar and select open

3. If you can open the iso2dsd_gui.jar file, but can't execute a convertion use the Mac Terminal application and change to directory with the sacd_extract file in it and run this command: chmod a+x sacd_extract

4. If you can open the iso2dsd_gui.jar file, but can't execute a convertion replace letters in the file name that have accent or double dots above/below the letter with standard letter.

Requirements: The sacd_extract file, version.txt, and the iso2dsd_gui.jar file need to be in the same folder, Java needs to me installed, 64 bit OS

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I have my ISO files on a hard disk that is hooked to my iMac, run through Audirvana+ (which is set for my Schist Loki DAC - which pays a DSF version of Shelly Manne and Bill Evans' Empathy just fine. When I look at the Audirvana+ preferences, I don't see anteing that refers to ISO but I do have the "Audio System" setting set for "Schist Audio DSD Device" and the DSD setting has four possible settings none of which produce sound with an ISO file (NOTE: I am trying a different ISO file with each parameter change to insure that I'm not loading a bad ISO file). I don't see anything else to "adjust in Audirvana+ that might impact the playback of the ISO files. No sound...

So, I'm still stuck at "600 GB of ISO files..." 8^)

Mike

Here are the settings I use to play ISO files:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/playing-iso-files-audirvana-v-1-5-12-a-24264/#post420505

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

One and a half:

AuI converter ProRD is a Windows application and I am on an iMac.

Thanks,

Mike

Here's the link to download the .dmg file for OSX. The trial version adds silence in the middle of the track somewhere as a restriction.

When the iso starts conversion, there's a pop up to install Signalyst's DFF2DSF file as this engine is used. When I did this for the Windows version, it installed an older version of dff2dsf for some reason. I had to install the new version manually and it worked fine. It might work for OSX a little more transparently.

Yuri is very responsive to getting things working, don't hesitate to drop him an email. I find the site email support form works well and a reply is pretty quick, Russian time zones of course.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I would recommend converting them to DSF if you cannot play them as ISOs. DSF will give you the capability to tag them as required. Personally I use Yate for that task, though there are many programs you could use.

+1 on both converting to DSF and using Yate to tag.

ISO2DSD works well, but for something a little more full featured you may want to check out TraX.

Also, XLD will extract individual tracks from SACD iso's and convert them to any of the PCM formats it supports, but if you want to stay in the DSD realm, XLD is not an option at this time.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

+1 on both converting to DSF and using Yate to tag.

ISO2DSD works well, but for something a little more full featured you may want to check out TraX.

Also, XLD will extract individual tracks from SACD iso's and convert them to any of the PCM formats it supports, but if you want to stay in the DSD realm, XLD is not an option at this time.

--David

JRiver can also be used to convert a SACD iso file into individual DSF files.

True, and that is a good choice if, unlike me, JRiver's UI on OS X doesn't make you want to run screaming from the room.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

bkinbk:

Good question. I do not know the relative difference in size between ISO, PCM and DSD/DSF. Obviously there are audio quality concerns and I don't know if there are any meaningful differences there either. So file size is not irrelevant and audio quality is a major consideration. Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

bkinbk:

Good question. I do not know the relative difference in size between ISO, PCM and DSD/DSF. Obviously there are audio quality concerns and I don't know if there are any meaningful differences there either. So file size is not irrelevant and audio quality is a major consideration. Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Another Q: is your DAC DSD capable?

I strongly disagree that this is a good choice. JRIver DSF conversion tools go through PCM as an interim. Don't take all those hours of ripping SACDs and then corrupt them by going ISO to PCM to DSF. It's a lossy process, and JRiver will agree. Use ISO2DSF (Bogi's tool) which reduces or eliminates any click/transition (0db dc offset, etc) issues by only using the DFF from sacd_extract (not the problematic DSF routine), then uses Miska's simple DFF to DSF tool, all the while saving tags....all in one simple right click workflow.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post368551

And yes, bkinbk, the Loki is DSD-capable.

I strongly disagree that this is a good choice. JRIver DSF conversion tools go through PCM as an interim.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know this.

I have been using a version of ISO2DSD for few years now. I had two .bat files, which I used to use; Extract DSD Stereo DSF Files.bat, and Extract DST Multichannel Files.bat, to extract stereo and multi-channel DSF and DFF files respectively.

I came across this thread today and found this version v1.2.2, which seems newer but my earlier had a version number of 232, so I do not know which is newer, but my question is that when I tried this current version, I right clicked on an ISO file, it gave me the option " SACD ISO to DSF per Track" as the manual says and it extracted a DSF file, but in this version how do I know or select between two channel vs multi-channel extraction. Thanks.