IGNORED

File source for Aries

Hi

Currently my Aries is feeding its files from a Thunderbolt drive hung of a Mac Mini via wireless.

Other than a bit of power saving of not having the Mac and Drive on 24/7 are their any pro's to replacing this with a single bay NAS?

Don't want link a USB drive off the Aries to keep it silent.

Many Thanks Phil

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

If you are happy with the sound quality and ease of use at the moment, then I would not replace it with a NAS.

I usually listen to my Aries via a wireless connection to my NAS. But I had the NAS before I had the Aries. Sometimes I do hang a 64GB USB drive off the Aries when I feel like keeping the NAS off and saving a few dollars.

Bottomline, if you are happy now, then you are all set!

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

The Mac is in my office so its silent running where the Aries is.......

So its streamed now, the only question is if I replace the mini with a NAS as the file server???

Unless you need more drive space then you should be good to go mate.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Thanks for the responses.

I'm happy with the sound, and it goes without saying its very responsive.

But I have the mini running plus external drive, Time capsule for Mac back ups and a USB drive off that for media backups.

I was thinking of a single 2 bay NAS for media and backups and just do a monthly off site back up, I have on and off site at the moment.

I guess its many years of running costs before i'd recover the cost of the NAS....

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

Are you actually able to notice the difference? I can't.

The difference between music streamed from the NAS vs a local USB flash drive? Or the cost of energy in Northern California?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

The difference between music streamed from the NAS vs a local USB flash drive? Or the cost of energy in Northern California?

The cost of running the NAS. I thought that's what you were referencing. No?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

It was JW. I have almost my entire house on LEDs. I think the big energy consumers are the fridge, plasma tv, and hot tub. The fridge is almost 14 years old. They have a tiered pricing structure here and I always end up one tier higher. So everything seems to matter. However you are probably correct into the NAS not having a huge impact, I need to stick my Kill O Watt meter on it.

And I cannot cost justify solar panels over a twenty year period, and I don't want to lease due to potential impact on re-sale.

Anyway, as they say, first world problems.