IGNORED

Need help IFI iUSBPower!

That's why I love the little ifi micro..DSD128 sounds so good through my system...got to get this problem fixed soon! All I listen to is vinyl or All music through the IDSD DAC sample up to double DSD.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Cool...thanks for the heads up!

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Thats a bummer! They sent me a email asking how the replacement PCB they sent to replace my old one. I told them it's still doing the same thing...now I'm just waiting for them to reply.

Thats a bummer! They sent me a email asking how the replacement PCB they sent to replace my old one. I told them it's still doing the same thing...now I'm just waiting for them to reply.

Ya, it's a drag. When the iDSD was working, I really liked the sound. Hopefully you will receive a reply in a timely fashion.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

That's what I do as well! Just listened to the Gilbert Kong Rush's 1st album sounded awesome up sampled to DSD256. Prob the best vinyl version I heard.

Thats great! I've read all the white paper with these professionals saying DSD is to distorted and has a lot of noise, but thats not what im hearing at all with DSD....some of these guys trust what they read rather than what they hear,,,,and if they are hearing noise, perhaps they need a iDSD Micro?

Ya, it's a drag. When the iDSD was working, I really liked the sound. Hopefully you will receive a reply in a timely fashion.

I hope so

Ok...seems the problem has been solved. AMR suggested I use the cable that came with the iUSB which is a 2.0 USB cable and use the cable that came with the iDSD Micro which is a 3.0 cable. So I did and no more problems. So I put back my wireworld cable in the computer to the iUSB spot while leaving the cable that came with the iDSD Micro in place and no problems. So I replace the iDSD cable with my own cable and yes, the problem returns. So the problem is found. It's either because the cable going from iUSB power to iDSD is to short being 1 foot, or it's only 480 mbps....What do you guys think?

I asked AMR the same question and waiting for reply.

Ok...seems the problem has been solved. AMR suggested I use the cable that came with the iUSB which is a 2.0 USB cable and use the cable that came with the iDSD Micro which is a 3.0 cable. So I did and no more problems. So I put back my wireworld cable in the computer to the iUSB spot while leaving the cable that came with the iDSD Micro in place and no problems. So I replace the iDSD cable with my own cable and yes, the problem returns. So the problem is found. It's either because the cable going from iUSB power to iDSD is to short being 1 foot, or it's only 480 mbps....What do you guys think?

Just my $0.02, but some audiophile USB cables cut the power line connection. USB3.0 cables are slightly different than the uber common USB2.0 cables, but 3.0 is backwards compatible to USB 2.0. In most cases, but pretty obviously, not in this one.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well Paul, mi man!

im back to the wonderful sounds of DSD 128! I was told by a friend the cable from the iUSBPower to the DAC was to short and had data bounce back, stopping the music in that process.....You've suggested some/my cables may have been cutting off the power. Could be the cable (2.0)@ 480mbps is not fast enough for the i5 33.3mhz processor. But never the less, I'm back to jamming some wonderful sounds! I'm happy now!

Depends on your type of cables? I thought I had similar experiences with another product but it was in fact related to the ohms straying from 90.....reminder to myself, keep the provided cables :D

Depends on your type of cables? I thought I had similar experiences with another product but it was in fact related to the ohms straying from 90.....reminder to myself, keep the provided cables :D

During the interaction with AMR/iFI support, after all was solved, this is what the tech told me:

".....We do not think the length is an issue in this situation. Any USB length <2m should be fine.

From your results, the Wireworld cable conforms correctly to USB Specifications. However the other cable........ is likely not of the correct characteristic impedance for USB (90 Ohm +/- 5 Ohm).

This may of small consequence if the cable is short and used by itself between a computer and DAC.

However at the end of what is in effect another cable and an A-to-B adapter (which is what the iUSB Power is as far as the USB Data is concerned) any deviation from the USB Standard can cause major issues/drop outs.

We do not know your brand of USB cable but from our experience, many "Boutique" USB Cables from small manufacturers deviate from the 90 ohms impedance standard as mandated by www.usb.org (the people behind the USB standard).

Once the deviation strays too far from 90 ohms, then the signal drops. Which is what you experienced.""

I will post to this thread when I have more information. Until then, I will continue to follow this thread. Unfortunately, the replacement micro iDSD has been back ordered.

Jim...any updates?

Jim...any updates?

Thanks for asking. Two days ago I called the dealer from whom I bought the micro iDSD. I was told they expect to receive a shipment of micro's at the beginning of next week, and I should get a tracking number via e-mail from Fedex by the end of the week. I can only hope this timeline is accurate. I feel a bit deflated by the experience at the moment. I was glad to see you seemed to have found a solution to your problem. If I still have problems, I will investigate the USB cable solution.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Jim...I have now ruled out the shortness of the cable as a reason. I have a double headed USB cable ( company...Neutral Cable out of Rome Italy) that is about 1 foot going from iUSBPower to DAC and it works perfect.

From the computer to iUSBPower I'm using a Wireworld Ultraviolet and have no problems with this combination of it and the Double headed USB between iUSBPower and Micro.

Mind you, when my problems started I was using a Wireworld Starlight 7 from iUSBPower to DAC and Wireworld Ultraviolent between PC and iUSBPower. AMR suggested I switch them both for their stock cables that came with iUSB and the Micro. Switched both Wireworld cables out for the cable that came with the iFI Micro/iUSB and no problems.

Put new Double headed USB cable in to replace iFI cable to DAC and no problem. So with Wireworld Ultraviolet from PC to iUSB and Double headed USB from iUSB to Micro, no problems.

So I replaced the Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 with a different Wireworld Starlight 7 USB between iUSBPower and PC and the Double headed USB between iUSBPower and DAC and problems/drop outs returned.

Replaced the Wireworld Starlight 7 with Ultraviolet 7 and no more problems. Conclusion: IFI gear doesn't like the Wireworld Starlight 7 in my system.This is very strange concidering All Wireworld are suppose to be 9 ohm USB standard.

Jim...I have now ruled out the shortness of the cable as a reason. I have a double headed USB cable ( company...Neutral Cable out of Rome Italy) that is about 1 foot going from iUSBPower to DAC and it works perfect...

Thank you for the detailed description of the various USB cable combinations you used to pinpoint your problem. Guided by your experience, I should be able to solve the signal loss problem if it occurs with the replacement micro iDSD-USBPower combination.

Jim

Yes....let me know how it works out for you.

• 5 weeks later...
Yes....let me know how it works out for you.

After a seven week wait for the replacement iFi micro iDSD, we received it one week ago. The replacement DAC is not exhibiting the same problems as the original DAC. We have experienced the sound stopping during playback a few times, which we never experienced with our DAC*iT. The micro iDSD sound is distinctly different from the DAC*iT. A significant difference is we can now understand the lyrics on many CD rips that were difficult to understand with the DAC*iT. One attribute these discs have in common is a low Dynamic Range value. The micro iDSD produces a deeper sound stage with the vocals in the foreground. I don't know how this effect is achieved electronically, but we can now enjoy a significant number of CD rips that we previously had to strain to hear the lyrics. We are using a 2 meter Supra USB cable. These observations apply only to PCM files. DSD64 file playback sounds strained, and DSD128 playback results in intolerable sound. I attribute these observations to the specifications of our C.A.P.S. v2. Overall, the micro iDSD seems to be a keeper.

Jim