IGNORED

Need help IFI iUSBPower!

Hi fellas!

Got a problem that cant seem to figure out.

Ive the iFI Micro DSD DAC and the iUSB Power. The problem...after about 2 minutes into the music, the music stops, I get an error saying DAC is not capable of playing DSD and the driver is no longer listed in the sound card, but is listed in device manager. AMR support sent me a new PCB for the iUSB power, but still same issue. I've switched out cables and still same issue. If I remove the iUSB and run off batteries in Micro, no problem. I've the IFI products running through a power amp/preamp through my speakers. I've deleted the IFI drivers and reinstalled a few times but same old problem. If I use the IUSB power with the Micro, music stops, and drivers missing from sound card until I unplug iUSB and plug back in. Then I'm good for another 2 minutes before no drivers and no music. Any solutions? Computer is an HP running Jriver 20, w8.1...any ideas? Thanks.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Coupe thoughts - have you eliminated the DAC as the problem by running it on USB power from your computer? Same with the cables you are using, etc?

It also sounds like mysterious grief I have encountered with USB3 ports on a Windows PC. Never see this kinda trouble on a Mac. Different trouble yes, but not this exact issue.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm on Mac have the same DAC and iUSB. Have you tried turning off the ISO earth? Per instructions no. 4?

Yes, I've turned off the ISO earth with the same results. This is truly puzzling to me.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Coupe thoughts - have you eliminated the DAC as the problem by running it on USB power from your computer? Same with the cables you are using, etc?

It also sounds like mysterious grief I have encountered with USB3 ports on a Windows PC. Never see this kinda trouble on a Mac. Different trouble yes, but not this exact issue.

-Paul

Hi Paul....as stated in the initial posting , I've no problem when eliminating the iUSBPower. Only happens when I insert the iUSBPower into the mix.

Hi Paul....as stated in the initial posting , I've no problem when eliminating the iUSBPower. Only happens when I insert the iUSBPower into the mix.

Not quite - in your original posting, you specified running on battery power. Insuggested running on USB power from your computer, not battery power.

Turn the DAC on after you have connected it to your computer and after your computer is up and running. The DAC will run off power from the USB cable in that case. This eliminates the iUSB Power as a culprit if you still have the issue.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have been running on iUSBpower. That's when the drivers disappear in the sound card and the music stops. It's when I totally remove the iUSBPower and run off battery power that I have no issues. But when running off iUSBPower that's when I have the issues. But I've gone through two iUSBPower's and the proble happens with both of them.

Ive the iFI Micro DSD DAC and the iUSB Power. The problem...after about 2 minutes into the music, the music stops...

Hi Slippers-on,

I received an iFi micro iDSD a few weeks ago. I had purchased the iUSBPower more than a year ago and have been using it with a PeachTree Dac*iT ever since, without any problems whatsoever. I use a C.A.P.S. v2, Windows 7 Ultimate, and the latest stable release of JRiver 20. When I tried to use the iUSBPower in conjunction with the micro iDSD, I had a very similar experience to the one you describe. The music stopped playing after a couple of minutes. This happened twice, and thereafter, the iUSBPower would provide power to the micro iDSD, but audio portion seemed to not work. I tried both powering the micro iDSD with the battery directly, while trickle-charging the battery with the iUSBPower, as well as by-passing the micro iDSD's battery and powering the micro iDSD directly with the iUSBPower. The results were the same in both cases. No sound was produced when the iUSBPower was in play. AMR's Control panel indicated the micro iDSD was not connected when there was no audio. When the iUSBPower was removed from the system and the micro iDSD was connected directly to the C.A.P.S, I heard music and AMR's Control Panel listed the device as being connected. I also uninstalled and re-installed both versions of the currently available AMR drivers to no avail. I returned the micro iDSD for a replacement because it seemed to have problems not related to the iUSBPower compatibility issue. I did not resolve the problem before returning the micro iDSD. I have not received the replacement yet, so I am also very interested in finding a solution to this problem.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Hi Jim.

You our have the exact same problem I'm experiencing now! Wi will send AMR a little note asking them if it could possibly be the IDSD DAC! Thanks for the informative reply! Keep me posted on your issue, if you're able.

_Slippers-

Interesting...Which cables are you using from your CPU to iUSB and iUSB to iDSD? I am using the iFI mercury to iUSB and iFI Gemini to iDSD. I remember that when I used the blue cable that came with iDSD which I believe is USB3 cable I got no sound my Mac only has USB2 ports. I wonder do you have a USB3 port on your CPU? If not then I would use a different cable just see if that works? Let me know if this helps.

Hi kurb1980...

Im currently using Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cables and WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 RCA cables into preamp. I've also switched out cables for other ones and same issues.

And yeah...I've even switched out the stock blue cable that came with the products and still same issue.

Hi kurb1980...

Im currently using Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cables and WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 RCA cables into preamp. I've also switched out cables for other ones and same issues.

In order to use the iUSB to its full potential it is meant to be used with the Gemini Cable so it can separate the data leg from the power I wonder could you post some pics of unit with the cables plugged in?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RSgZStiBZhs/UlAez_zLUxI/AAAAAAAADBc/9daw9bfowjo/s1600/EDD_6997.jpg

This I believe is where the issue is by what you described and from the cables your are using the iDSD is not getting the power leg or the data leg from iUSB depending on how you plugged it in I suspect?

Sorry, I can't take pics at the moment...but I am using only one cable. Are you suggestion the one leg isn't enough power? I have a buddy with the same setup as mine and he has no issues. Why would that be?

But I do have a double leg cable in route to me from Italy....it should be here any time soon. Neutral Cable - Cavi Digitali

Yes..that the one I use. The one on the right...power and signal in the right side.

I'm starting to wonder if the sound card on the computer is an issue?

I've opened a ticket with IFI and have been speaking with one of their techs from AMR for 2 weeks now. They sent me out another PCB for the iUSB power and I received it last night and switched out the old one for the new one...didn't solve the problem. So back at square one.

Yes ...those are going to me my next trouble shoot points. Thanks man for all your help...if you have any more suggestions, keep them coming. How is the Benchmark DAC? Does it do double DSD? If I can't get this thing figured out...I might have to get another DSD DAC.

I would say wait in June iFI iDSD Pro is coming out and that is a desktop version Flagship DAC. So we hopefully won't have the USB issues like the micro has. It won't be battery powered go to head if search the forums and iFI posted regularly there. You could see if other people are have similar issue. Plus iFI will post reply to your thread since your talking in a public forum they don't want bad press.

Hi Jim.

You our have the exact same problem I'm experiencing now! Wi will send AMR a little note asking them if it could possibly be the IDSD DAC! Thanks for the informative reply! Keep me posted on your issue, if you're able.

_Slippers-

I will post to this thread when I have more information. Until then, I will continue to follow this thread. Unfortunately, the replacement micro iDSD has been back ordered.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."