IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

which version of the Cassandra Wilson album do you have?

the 192/24 that HDtracks sells, do you know if that is significantly better than the CD?

PAP, great thread, would like to see more reference favs.. The HDtracks 192/24 Cassandra Wilson can be better if your system renders files better than it can play a CD.. I use the 192/24 Harvest Moon track for percussion soundstage as reference.

Also, I have been auditioning cables this past month using two files in particular:

2Cellos.jpg

Track 2, "We Found Love", and Track 8, "Bang Bang", both offer extreme cello edge strike and decay information with Bang Bang offering subtle yet spectacular cello and voice renditions.

The other File is Jacintha: Autumn Leaves, "Moon River" for amazing vocal and piano rendition. Jacintha - Autumn Leaves - The Songs of Johnny Mercer.jpg

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

Thanks. Did you feel that the definition in the low is better on the 192/24 version compared to the CD?

On the other hand I think they intended to make this a dark recording, and did not want anything to be clearly defined.

I love that album but it is not an album I would use as an example of audiophile perfection. But if you say that there is a great improvement in the 192 version without it losing that lovely ''gloomy'' overall sound I will go ahead and buy it.

I owned and loved the CD so much I bought the 24/192 which draws you onto the soundstage more. The percussion bells, etc on "Harvest Moon" track draw you on to the stage with space and air depending on your gear. The track's darkness seems to open up and presents a scene of fireflies at night. Cassandra's weight and serious presentation is preserved and remains her MO which serves her well. Certain tracks like Lawrence Juber's "Leaning Post" on Guitar Noir, may become a reference for one well miked instrument. 2Cello's "BangBang" cello on their Initiation LP, or Jacintha's piano mid track on "Moon River", from her Autumn Leaves LP are prime.

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

PAP, Yes, there's a low end that became more audibly pronounced, but changed as i auditioned different cables.