IGNORED

New Audio Midi Setup in Snow Leopard

cfmsp

There was a thread recently in which questions came up - from Eloise I believe - with regards to separating system sounds from desired audio output, i.e., how to avoid sending the 'you've got mail' alert through the Magicos. :)

I explained in that thread that there are (or were) separate output drop-downs for Default Output (for desired audio) and System Output.

These were located in the upper right portion of AMS window under Leopard.

In Snow Leopard, they've been re-located. Making selections has moved to the lower left corner of Audio Midi Setup (click on the 'sunflower' or 'gear' - whatever it's supposed to be). In this dropdown, you can select the current (desired) input, current output, and also 'play alerts and sound effects through this device'. There are now handy little icons which indicate which input/output is currently being used on the left hand side of the AMS screen (microphone for input, volume for output, and 'dual mac faces' for system alerts).

I find this new selection method to be more intuitive (i.e. easier to understand), but harder to find.

Hopefully, I've eliminated the latter issue with this post.

It certainly caused me a moment of consternation, when after upgrading firmware and drivers on the ULN-2, I was no longer getting output via Firewire, and couldn't figure out where to check/change the settings. Since the little icons to indicate the settings were staring me in the face - I'll consider that more intuitive (but confusing, as I was relying on old, now incorrect, information). The updating in the lower left now conforms more to Apple standards, e.g., + for add, - for delete, 'gear' (or whatever) for edit.

enjoy,

clay

The iTunes Artwork screen saver was in Leopard too.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.