IGNORED

What is the best way to sync two macs with music on NAS

I'm trying to find the best way to sync my music library over two macs with the entire music library stored on a NAS. If possible, I would like to use one of the macs as the admin computer, being used for ripping and downloading only while the second mac being used for only playback. Just wondering what is the best way to do this so that both computers will have the same music library?

Mac/Rega Dac/Arcam FMJ A22/Proac Studio 140

I'm also interested by this topic as I need to Synch my Music over two Mac. I'm using Dropbox but I think the Synch problem is the same as with any shared drive e.g. NAS.

The main problem I am facing is due to dual access from two computers (MBP and MacMini) to a music library (in my case iTunes and Audirvana).

One possible solution is to put the libraries on the local drives and the music files on the NAS (or DroBox folder). But you have to manually (or automatize) Synch between the libraries and I did not find it very convenient, when swapping computers.

For the time being, I have put all my files on a "shared" repository (including libraries). I am using DropBox to keep all files in Synch and I try to have only one instance of iTunes or Audirvana running at a time.

This solution does not give me full satisfaction as from time to time whilst the Synch is in progress and if two iTunes are running it is the first one which updates its library which get priority for the final status of the Synch. I then ends up with a library which is not the one I recently update with new music or playlists. So I have to dig in the "conflicted" files created by iTunes to restore the version I want.

The Synch on a NAS should be must faster and reduce this risk.

Like Hajet I'm very interesting to get feedback on shared libraries across two Mac, although I guess no perfect solution exist.

Regards

Frank

I do this with Jriver. One PC is used for ripping and downloading to a network file server, organizing, downloading, making playlists, etc., and the other uses the JRiver library sync feature for playback. It doesn't sync the actual files, just the location and library info from the main library.

This is on Windows PCs, I presume the Mac version has the same feature.

I had a similar need. My solution was to store the entire library as an iTunes library on my NAS (i.e. as well as the music media I copied all the top-level iTunes files to the NAS). I run the iTunes for ripping and editing on an iMac, with this set to pick up all the iTunes files on the NAS - the iMac can thus be used for playback. I also have a Mac mini that could similarly access the library via iTunes but I never do this to ensure that there are no conflicts that might screw up the library. To playback from the Mac mini I use JRiver with JRemote, with JRiver pointing at the music media within the iTunes folder on the NAS. River allows both local playback on the Mac mini and remote network playback. For the latter however I normally use instead Minimserver running on the NAS, controlling playback with BubbleUPnP on a tablet.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

I do this with Jriver. One PC is used for ripping and downloading to a network file server, organizing, downloading, making playlists, etc., and the other uses the JRiver library sync feature for playback. It doesn't sync the actual files, just the location and library info from the main library.

This is on Windows PCs, I presume the Mac version has the same feature.

This is how I highly recommend it be done.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm trying to find the best way to sync my music library over two macs with the entire music library stored on a NAS. If possible, I would like to use one of the macs as the admin computer, being used for ripping and downloading only while the second mac being used for only playback. Just wondering what is the best way to do this so that both computers will have the same music library?

With iTunes, I store the library on the NAS. One account has R/W access and can modify the library. The others are readonly and can playback.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Chronosync

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

• 4 weeks later...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I also use Chronosync to back up files between from my NAS and 3 Macs BUT as noted above I have all my alternative 'players' accessing a single library. Chronosync is only used for making backup copies across my network.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

I highly recommend ChronoSync. It'll do the job you need AND you can use it for other syncs of your Mac. It also does backups and bootable backups. I've been using it for a number of years and have never had to pay for an upgrade fee. I also use ChronoAgent which lets me sync over the internet. The fellows at Econ got it right! They make great products.