IGNORED

The ultimate home power supply?

Hi Joel,

I fear it's going to add a lot of noise to the mains supply. Every kind of DC/AC converter, which is needed to feed the battery power into the electricity grid, is a switching power device.

Only a few years back, when the electricity companies here in Germany started the first installations of so-called Smart Meter (electronic electricity meters), significant problems with the accuracy of these meters became evident once they are installed after a power converter of a photovoltaic system. It came out that these converters are creating a lot of noise in the frequency range from 2kHz up to 150kHz, which led to misfunctioning of the electronic meter.

Needless to say that this is a fatal frequency range for us audiophiles...

Following the future "smart grid" ideas, a lot of additional noise is yet to come into our electricity supply, I suppose. I guess that is why mains filter are rising more and more attention recently from my perspective.

Henning

Depends. We've had a long thread on this recently. It turns out some "pure sine wave" inverters have harmonic distortion figures lower than those specified for utility current to the home.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.