IGNORED

"New" Paul Simon titles at HDT, Pono, AS

New High Definition Music Downloads [Artist contains 'paul' AND Artist contains 'simon' AND Resolution is '24/96'] | Find HD music

There are new releases on Legacy Recordings. Says made from master tapes, release 2015.

Anyone know anything about these? I'd buy them if they haven't been given the added volume compression treatment.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

New High Definition Music Downloads [Artist contains 'paul' AND Artist contains 'simon' AND Resolution is '24/96'] | Find HD music

There are new releases on Legacy Recordings. Says made from master tapes, release 2015.

Anyone know anything about these? I'd buy them if they haven't been given the added volume compression treatment.

I bought s/t, Rhymin' and Still Crazy from AS a few weeks back. I did so despite having a clear suspicion they would be the same masters as the somewhat compressed CD versions released a while back (the same bonus tracks for example). And I think they really are and I'm not 100 perent happy with them. Not really bad but a little bit too compressed.

So here's hoping the versions of those classic albums on HDtracks are new and better versions. At the same time I'm getting really annoyed with having to buy yet another set of albums again because the record company/artist releases a new version of an album that should have been done right to begin with instead of just being a cash in thing.

I remember reading similar things a while back about the Graceland reissue so I certainly appreciate your warranted skepticism. At the same, the Simon and Garfunkel hi res downloads, which I own, have been uniformly outstanding so there's hope. Right now the fly in the ointment, if you will, for me is that Acoustic Sounds mentions nothing about provenance in their description of the releases. AS is one company that states information about provenance right up front when such information is provided to them.

I bought s/t, Rhymin' and Still Crazy from AS a few weeks back. I did so despite having a clear suspicion they would be the same masters as the somewhat compressed CD versions released a while back (the same bonus tracks for example). And I think they really are and I'm not 100 perent happy with them. Not really bad but a little bit too compressed.

So here's hoping the versions of those classic albums on HDtracks are new and better versions. At the same time I'm getting really annoyed with having to buy yet another set of albums again because the record company/artist releases a new version of an album that should have been done right to begin with instead of just being a cash in thing.

Wishful thinking, but probably more of the same. I wouldn't buy anything until someone else confirms that they are better, like some of the new Tom Petty remasters. There's so much crap floating around out there.

IME, with Paul Simon, the older the better.

I know this isn't going to happen, but wouldn't it be great if all the hi-res download vendors published the provenance of their masters, and foobar/DR graphs, so we'd really know what we are buying, instead of getting gypped.

Interestingly, HDTracks has info on their website re: provenance while Acoustic Sounds fails to post any such info. The remasters were supervised by Steve Berkowitz, the producer behind the 2014 Beatles Mono remasters for vinyl and also the celebrated Kind of Blue hi res remasters. The stated goal was to use the original master tapes to reproduce the sound(at least in intent) of the original vinyl. Now I have hope!

At the same, the Simon and Garfunkel hi res downloads, which I own, have been uniformly outstanding so there's hope

I bought the 24/96 version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. It's a 16/44.1 recording in a 24/96 wrapper. For that album at least, any improvement is in the remastering, not the resolution.

Not sure why you are posting analysis of m4a files, but since that is a lossy process, I wouldn't be surprised if it is truncated. I have the actual The Only Living Boy in New York.flac 24/96 and I can assure you it is high res and has lots of info above 24K including the tape test tones at ~30K.

I bought the 24/96 version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. It's a 16/44.1 recording in a 24/96 wrapper. For that album at least, any improvement is in the remastering, not the resolution.

That is interesting. Below is from the 24/192 version using Audacity. It shows higher frequency content.

Paul

Only LIving Boy 24:192.jpg

Only LIving Boy 24:192 Spectrum.jpg

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

That is interesting. Below is from the 24/192 version using Audacity. It shows higher frequency content

Intersting, it looks as if Sony screwed up in the mastering of the version I have.

I've looked at several of the hi res downloads I have, and this has been the only one that looks so obviously wrong. Several of the others have no musical information above the mid 20 kHz region, but at least there's noise until half the sampling frequency.

Intersting, it looks as if Sony screwed up in the mastering of the version I have.

I've looked at several of the hi res downloads I have, and this has been the only one that looks so obviously wrong. Several of the others have no musical information above the mid 20 kHz region, but at least there's noise until half the sampling frequency.

Where and when did you buy the screwed up version?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've checked my bridge and there's info above the cd cut off frequencies.

The thread is wandering here. What about the new HDT Simon releases?

"These Paul Simon 96kHz/24-bit hi res digital reissues – Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon, and Still Crazy After All These Years, were remastered from original 1/4" analog master tapes by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, NYC using a Burl A-D ["B2 Bomber"] converter and all analog eq. There Goes.. and Still Crazy... from the original mix master 1/4" tapes, and Paul Simon from the original 1/4" cutting master tapes. The goal of this remastering project was to match the sound, scope and feel of the original 1A vinyl first pressings so as to capture what the artist and producer intended and achieved when creating these iconic albums for release."

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I downloaded the 24/96 HDT of Still Crazy After All These Years (DR 11). The only thing I have to compare is an atrocious sounding original LP but this flac sounds nice which means I'll probably go back for There Goes Rhymin' Simon before the 15% off goes away.

now recording in hi-res...

Have all three - agree they are nice. Not the best hi res I've heard, but certainly worthwhile. No regrets.

Spousal unit likes them - said "the guitars really sound like guitars."

Kodachrome spectrum.jpg

Fifty Ways.jpg

Kodachrome.jpg

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

There are some DR numbers posted now: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

they look okay.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Why is anyone surprised it's hd tacks

the name should be ripoff tracks. Not saying some stuff is good but most is just lies. I actually refuse to buy from them unless it's the only source. Why can we go after them for false advertising or some thing it's bad for us high audio people.

Something should be done.

I think the hostility here is exaggerrated. The loudness war database lists 3 albums. Only "Paul Simon" has what I would call "moderate-heavy" VC. BTW, the 2004 CD remaster has the same compression. Good chance it was approved by PS.

The other 2 listed in the database have what I would call light added compression with a DR range of 11-14. The old CD of "Still Crazy

has DR of 12-14 vs the HDT 11-14. The average is down to 11 from 13. Similar situation for "Rhymin Simon". Again, the 2004 CD remasters were also volume compressed.

Simon's last studio album (CD) has an average DR rating of 7, with a range of 6-10. Pretty safe bet that Simon approved the release.

I found it headache inducing and unlistenable. Maybe the anger should be directed at PS or his label, and not at HDT or any other vendor.

I've read several highly complimentary reviews of the sound of the remastered entire catalog of Simon and Garfunkel albums in the "Complete Albums Collection" boxed cd set which released four or five months ago. That would seem to ensure that S&G hi rez downloads should be top notch. I would have hoped that might carry over to Paul Simon's works in hi-rez too, but again, a different time, a different producer, so hard to draw any analogy.

JC