IGNORED

Great New Download Site

Thanks. I thought I saw somewhere from Ted that they were getting some albums from Turtle. Thanks. These sites, such as NativeDSD are REALLY putting out some quality recordings.

I'm sure there are more coming to Native from Turtle. A number of the good ones from Challenge and Challenge Jazz were recorded by the Turtle guy according to the Tech Specs/Credits.

On the quality recordings, I'd agree there. Was enjoying Peter & the Wolf from Pentatone yesterday from Native. On sale as part of "Prokofiev-Week". Sophia Loren, Bill Clinton and Gorbachev in DSD? Fun.

Awesome. I know them for quite some time, but since I don't have SACD player it was hard to get the their repertoire, but now I am very happy to see they allow me to download the files. Superb!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Yes, sir! I don't have DSD DAC, so I would prefer 24/96 PCM, but do you think that DSD64 played and converted by A+ will bring the similar effect than 24/96 PCM?

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Yes, sir! I don't have DSD DAC, so I would prefer 24/96 PCM, but do you think that DSD64 played and converted by A+ will bring the similar effect than 24/96 PCM?

Krzysztof, A+ will do a nice job, but I do have to tell you that after a year or two listening to the results of A+ conversion, the first time I heard DSD through a DSD DAC it was a jaw-dropping experience.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Krzysztof, A+ will do a nice job, but I do have to tell you that after a year or two listening to the results of A+ conversion, the first time I heard DSD through a DSD DAC it was a jaw-dropping experience.

Thanks Jud, I know, I know, but now I cannot invest in good DSD capable DAC, but I will be looking for the future if more and more DSD download websites with good repertoire arrive. So far I am committed to 24/96 PCM which if done appropriately (aka recorded with high resolution mics) sounds also very good to my ears.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Thanks Jud, I know, I know, but now I cannot invest in good DSD capable DAC, but I will be looking for the future if more and more DSD download websites with good repertoire arrive. So far I am committed to 24/96 PCM which if done appropriately (aka recorded with high resolution mics) sounds also very good to my ears.

Jud,

100% correct. There is still no reason to suspect there is anything at all wrong with good quality properly executed PCM. The CD was near perfect as a format and Hi-res with a little more head room at 24bit and a slightly bigger bandwidth of 96KHz or more means that technically it just doesn't get any better than that and doesn't need to be any better either. Once you have achieved better than CD quality then audio quality boils down to the quality of the recording, the mix and mastering.

Maybe one thing about their website, they could extend the offer, but Bert responded that however they're in negotiation with Challenge Records to see whether there are 3rd party productions that are in line with their own philosophy, this however requires a lot of evaluation on their part, which at the moment is not possible. Anyway, I wish they had there better performances with other conductors and orchestras.

My picks are:

dCS Presents: The Spirit of Turtle (Download)

Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 (Download)

Händel: Concerti Grossi, Op. 6 (Download)

Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 (Download)

--

Krzysztof Maj

This is an amazing album if you like Jazz

Jungle Boldie (Download) | The Spirit of Turtle

Jungle Boldie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18116[/ATTACH]

The sound quality of the cut I heard (from a dCS sampler) is terrific, and the music is excellent too.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The sound quality of the cut I heard (from a dCS sampler) is terrific, and the music is excellent too.

It is superb. I listened twice last night. Fantastic.

Jud here is another find, different site, but amazing recording and great music and just "simple redbook":

Evan Christopher's Django à la Créole (Live) | Evan Christopher – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Evan_Christopher-Evan_Christopher_s_Django_a_la_Cr.jpg

Last night was jazz bliss for me.

Jud,

100% correct. There is still no reason to suspect there is anything at all wrong with good quality properly executed PCM. The CD was near perfect as a format and Hi-res with a little more head room at 24bit and a slightly bigger bandwidth of 96KHz or more means that technically it just doesn't get any better than that and doesn't need to be any better either. Once you have achieved better than CD quality then audio quality boils down to the quality of the recording, the mix and mastering.

Were you wanting an argument about PCM versus DSD? You'll be disappointed, because you're not getting one. (Though by the way, you may want to consider the inner workings of your particular DAC and how that might play into your thinking.) I'm speaking only about how an unconverted recording sounds versus a version in a converted format. If you had a PCM recording and an R2R PCM DAC, would you convert it to DSD in software, then back to PCM, and expect it to sound as good? Same principle here: With a DSD recording and a sigma-delta DAC, why convert to PCM in the middle?

Yes, for me there's nothing at all wrong with well recorded 24/96, or for that matter well recorded CDs. If you ever do want to make the leap to listening to DSD in the original format, decent DSD-capable DACs are becoming less expensive all the time. There are the iFi iDSD Nano at $200 US or less, and the Geek Out (version 1 - version 2 is coming out, so it should get even cheaper) at around $150 US. I would guess these are more expensive where you are, but at least the trend is in the right direction.

Were you wanting an argument about PCM versus DSD? You'll be disappointed, because you're not getting one. (Though by the way, you may want to consider the inner workings of your particular DAC and how that might play into your thinking.) I'm speaking only about how an unconverted recording sounds versus a version in a converted format. If you had a PCM recording and an R2R PCM DAC, would you convert it to DSD in software, then back to PCM, and expect it to sound as good? Same principle here: With a DSD recording and a sigma-delta DAC, why convert to PCM in the middle?

Just saying that if you have a hi res 24 96KHz file that has been produced correctly and output that to your system with a good DAC (with whatever flavor is preferred) then there really isn't a need to go to DSD or something else as mathematically the PCM file (even though it is an old tried & true format) is perfectly good. Speaker non linearities and the room or other home reproduction equipment issues are likely to be more of an issue than the file formats themselves.

Just saying that if you have a hi res 24 96KHz file that has been produced correctly and output that to your system with a good DAC (with whatever flavor is preferred) then there really isn't a need to go to DSD or something else as mathematically the PCM file (even though it is an old tried & true format) is perfectly good. Speaker non linearities and the room or other home reproduction equipment issues are likely to be more of an issue than the file formats themselves.

Unless you have a (very expensive) R2R DAC, your DAC itself "goes to DSD" with the PCM file. So you can argue with whoever designed DACs (including yours) that way.

As I said, I'm perfectly happy with a good recording in any (lossless) resolution or format as a starting point. But sometimes (Gaucho, Tommy) albums I like happen to be available in very well recorded/mastered DSD and very badly recorded/mastered PCM, and there I am happy I have the option of playing these as DSD rather than having to convert to PCM - which is what Krzysztof must do with some material, but hopefully a good DAC that is affordable and capable of playing DSD without conversion becomes available for him in the not too distant future.

Yes, for me there's nothing at all wrong with well recorded 24/96, or for that matter well recorded CDs. If you ever do want to make the leap to listening to DSD in the original format, decent DSD-capable DACs are becoming less expensive all the time. There are the iFi iDSD Nano at $200 US or less, and the Geek Out (version 1 - version 2 is coming out, so it should get even cheaper) at around $150 US. I would guess these are more expensive where you are, but at least the trend is in the right direction.

If only the price of hires downloads would come down as well (still too high for my liking).

If only the price of hires downloads would come down as well (still too high for my liking).

There are some deals out there. Over at Native DSD, they have several samplers in Stereo and Multichannel DSD for under $10 each. And the DSD File folks have some 4 track downloads at $6 and under. Worth checking out.

https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/samplers

DSD File | Zinaida Oganova

DSD File | Yamina – Love Letters EP