IGNORED

Alternative to Media Center Software

After months of tinkering with JRiver Media Center I give up. No help files company hiding behind switchboards and routers, enough. Burn CD-click on the action window, there's nothing there for burning CD. Enough again.

Anybody have a suggestion for alternative?

What specifically are you trying to do that you cannot with JRMC or what type of experience are you looking for that is not possible with JRMC? All of these different software applications do some things really well and all leave something on the table in other areas. So it depends on what is most important to you. CA is not an out of the box solution for sure, but that's the fun.

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

After months of tinkering with JRiver Media Center I give up. No help files company hiding behind switchboards and routers, enough. Burn CD-click on the action window, there's nothing there for burning CD. Enough again.

Anybody have a suggestion for alternative?

If MAC, then XLD to rip; Audirvana+2.0 for playback. Done.

What is the advantage of using XLD over iTunes for ripping if both are set to output AIFF? Is there something different about the resulting files? What? Seriously curious, thanks...

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

What is the advantage of using XLD over iTunes for ripping if both are set to output AIFF? Is there something different about the resulting files? What? Seriously curious, thanks...

Been discussed many times. ITunes drops bits without telling you and it is better to use a ripping software that has Accurate Rip verification.

Thanks for the link reference. Still, do you have a link reference that shows CD files from iTunes compared to others, showing the loss of data? It's good that there is a database for verification that a users copy has the same results.

Did Apple address this or does Apple see this as a non-issue?

Thanks for the link reference. Still, do you have a link reference that shows CD files from iTunes compared to others, showing the loss of data? It's good that there is a database for verification that a users copy has the same results.

Did Apple address this or does Apple see this as a non-issue?

It's not that there *will* be loss of data - 99.9% of the time (totally made-up statistic, but you get the idea), data from CDs ripped with iTunes and XLD (for example) will be identical . . . but if there *is* an error, iTunes will not tell you about it, XLD will upon comparison with AccurateRip. So you have the opportunity to try to re-rip to get a better result, buy a lossless version of just that track from an online vendor, etc. Key point is you know and can address - with iTunes you never know until you go to play the track later and get a click / pop (or worse) during playback :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

It's not that there *will* be loss of data - 99.9% of the time (totally made-up statistic, but you get the idea), data from CDs ripped with iTunes and XLD (for example) will be identical . . . but if there *is* an error, iTunes will not tell you about it, XLD will upon comparison with AccurateRip. So you have the opportunity to try to re-rip to get a better result, buy a lossless version of just that track from an online vendor, etc. Key point is you know and can address - with iTunes you never know until you go to play the track later and get a click / pop (or worse) during playback :/

okay, iTunes doesn't report errors when ripping audio tracks. Fair enough.

Generally, if one buys a new disc, opens the disc, inserts disc in to the drive, rip, eject, and put disc back into storage, then the error reporting (or lack thereof) should be a non-issue. Assuming no manufacturing defects.

Also, it worth reading the comments of that linked MacWorld article.

Thanks!

After months of tinkering with JRiver Media Center I give up. No help files company hiding behind switchboards and routers, enough. Burn CD-click on the action window, there's nothing there for burning CD.

CD burning works, but you may need to update:

JRiver Media Center - Download

We provide support on our forum. Did you try it?

Our wiki is also a good source of information:

Support

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Can I be cheeky and hijack this thread for a moment.

No. Simply not the done thing, old chap.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Generally, if one buys a new disc, opens the disc, inserts disc in to the drive, rip, eject, and put disc back into storage, then the error reporting (or lack thereof) should be a non-issue. Assuming no manufacturing defects.

Generally, you're correct. Like jhwalker said, 99.9% of the time there will be no difference between the results you get from XLD vs. iTunes. It's all about the remaining 0.1%, so I guess if it doesn't bother you, you can stick with iTunes. I don't consider myself all that OCD when it comes to ripping, but XLD is free, so I figure why not be able to look at a log of the rip and be able to assure myself that there were no errors. (I also purchase & rip a fair number of used CD's, and I've also had optical drives fail in a gradual way over time.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to mention I use Mac, MC sounds good and a lot of the things I do it works great. However, what help files I find like burn CD, tell me to select burn CD in the action window. There is no selection burn CD in the action window. I try to save the screen layout of the windows I use it will not save them. It will not remember the column headings I like to see. Little annoying things that I cannot find any help or information to correct.

I forgot to mention I use Mac, MC sounds good and a lot of the things I do it works great. However, what help files I find like burn CD, tell me to select burn CD in the action window. There is no selection burn CD in the action window. I try to save the screen layout of the windows I use it will not save them. It will not remember the column headings I like to see. Little annoying things that I cannot find any help or information to correct.

CD burning works, but you may need to update:

JRiver Media Center - Download

We provide support on our forum. Did you try it?

Our wiki is also a good source of information:

Support

They've always replied to my questions in regards to issues/problems I've encountered.

We do all support on our forum. Here's how to get help and why we do it that way:

Is this support?

On Mac, CD burning is not yet implemented. CD ripping was added a few months ago.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com