IGNORED

How do you CA members see the future in audio.....

For what I have read in the CA forums I can certainly tell you that most of you guys know every single type of media file, every type of internet speed, every type of music system known to mankind.

My question to you is: What do you see and what do you want for the future as far as all that concerns music and music reproduction?

Give me your thoughts. I want to hear them, if you are so kind and have the time.

Thank you!

Carlos M

Enjoying music every single moment!!

What do I want? High quality, not volume compressed, hi-res recordings - for ownership and by streaming.

What will we get: Probably hi-res streaming, may or may not be high quality.

As far as hardware: I think in the future we will eventually get to some kind of all-in-one of very high quality. Obviously there will still be tube, TT, and separates - for the die hard and rich lovers of those technologies.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Obviously there will still be tube, TT, and separates - for the die hard and rich lovers of those technologies.

I was thinking the same, I think we are headed to the All-in one super high quality, And as I write this post, I just switched from Digital to analog with the same song. Dreams from Fleetwood Mac, and Man I have nothing against digital, all my cd's are in a NAS now but the difference is there! I don't know how to describe it.

I question whether streaming media can make it long term, the business math consistently says no. In the movie industry they make their money up front in the theaters and tertiary items (i.e Action Figures, etc.) before they release the movies to the online services, then anything they make from those services is icing on the cake. Unfortunately the music business doesn't operate that way (except for the big names that do concert tours). So I would be weary of not buying any music and relying on streaming services forever.

Funny how when I have guests over I get little bugs in my computer audio chain, hard drive slow to spin up, maybe a network device needs to be reinitialized so the system can find it , etc. However vinyl has always worked, so does spinning a disk in a CD or SACD player. Due to thier tremendous reliability I suspect these formats will last through the long haul. It also seems that as we advance technologies we are able to squeeze so much more sound out of these older formats.

Currently computer audio is just barely out of the grasp of "Joe Sixpack" unless he's a computer geek (let's face it, just about everyone here on CA is at some level a computer geek). Appliances that are usable for computer phobic people exist but today they are rather expensive. You can purchase a record player or a CD/SACD player for less than $500, computer audio (the whole chain, music storage, player, software, and DAC) have yet to reach that price point - but it will get there in the future.

I also think that digital processing within the signal chain will eventually become the norm as opposed to the exception. Room correction, digital cross over with no phase issues, the ability to tailor the system for different uses (I have a "movie mode" where the subterranean bass is jacked up a little bit) are going to be standard issue in the future as these prices continue to drop.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

There is a very old proverb that goes, " If you want to know the future, look at your current actions". The future is now and here and we are it. The music business and especially the hi end component business is practically gone leaving a whole generation with ipods and low end streamers. Very, very, very few people care about quality in an age where convenience reigns and you can buy an Ipod, a shirt and a taco online in two minutes before you rush out the door to your next five minute endeavour. TIDAL is a light in the distance that someone out there hears something, they know we are still here and they hear the flac, and the dsf and they are saying, that's nice, let's stream some of that. But few will consider more. As a longtime independant retailer, trend is your friend, until it's not and then you change or die. Personally I applaud and give high regard to the manufacturers who have persevered in the quest for quality. They continue because there are a few of us who do not just sit and enjoy a tune , but have an inate preference for perfection in sound. Will THAT survive in the age of convenience? Perhaps 50 years from now when our grandchildren and great grandchildren are tinkering with these "hi end" audio relics we leave behind, they might hear something in the music that makes them think fondly of the 20th century and the music it produced. Very soon a wave of the hand in front of a 120 inch wall of sound and 16k media will access any experience you desire within virtual communities where the quest will turn to hi resolution avatars... See you there!

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

What do you see and what do you want for the future as far as all that concerns music and music reproduction?

Are you asking what I'm wishing? So this is my fantasy: :)

• New multi-bit PDM format standard should be introduced for storing, transferring and processing digital audio. That would mean new digital media formats, new digital audio transports, new production/mastering tools...
    Why: Because delta-sigma ADCs and DACs are used everywhere and PDM is their 'native language'. No more PDM (DSD) to PCM to PDM (DSD) conversions would be needed. That would mean less loss on sound quality caused by necessary digital processing in the whole audio chain from recording to playback. The result could be better recordings, cheaper DACs and overall better sound quality for end listener.
  • New digital transport standard, based on known computer network technologies, should be introduced. It should incorporate error checking, data retransmission, error correction. That would mean end of expensive digital cables. An ordinary LAN or USB cable would be sufficient. Optical isolation should be then used on the digital receiver part of higher quality DACs to cancel computer noise. That would result to no need to use dual computer JPlay setups or NAA setups with HQPlayer. The result would be better sound quality on cheaper digital gear.

But most of people are satisfied with MP3 quality and low end gear. I doubt there is enough money in audiophile world for such a fantasy to happen. The main problem are standards, which don't met audiophile needs. I'm really not sure there is sufficiently big market to bring such new standards into life. What do you mean?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

1. What main trouble moder audio system?

Absent of naturalness. Compare live band performance and playback at any audio system.

Live sound always richer.

Further purification of sound (eliminating of distortions, ideal frequency responses, etc.) don't give revolutionary improvement.

Next step is capturing inconcert hall and restoring in listening room sound wave field ("sound hologramm"). It must be simple system like "stereo".

2. In places with wideband information network will more and more streaming services.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Reliable streaming service for classical music artist / labels.

More DSD available downloads.

I2S standardization and implementation.

I wish more young people got involved in classical music. The current trend in the USA to stop funding arts and music programs in the elementary and secondary levels must be reversed, especially in urban school districts.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Devialet-type technology built into a wide array of speakers with active cross overs and built in DSP. No more separates or cables. Open baffle and sealed speakers more common. Lower energy consumption. Hi-rez music that streams through subscription services. The technology appears to be here, but it hasn't really been widely integrated. I'm not sure why active speakers have not been more widely adopted in the consumer market. Dynaudio appears to be taking steps in that direction.

a one one box 2.1 solution with 200+ watts high quality high current amps, with built in dsd dac, with usb-a & usb-b, preouts (including subw), phono amp, streamable (dlna,android), good android app, under $1000.

I think it is doable...we are close...almost there....

I stated In the threads here about 3 years ago (before people were even buying into dsd) i said that within a few years most midlevel avr's would have usb-b ports......most people here doubted me....but we're getting there....

a one one box 2.1 solution with 200+ watts high quality high current amps, with built in dsd dac, with usb-a & usb-b, preouts (including subw), phono amp, streamable (dlna,android), good android app, under $1000.

I think it is doable...we are close...almost there....

I stated In the threads here about 3 years ago (before people were even buying into dsd) i said that within a few years most midlevel avr's would have usb-b ports......most people here doubted me....but we're getting there....

Don't you want it to to sound like ARC separates too?

David

So far it has been a pleasure reading all the comments left here, so far What I have gather is that we want a 1 TYPE off ALL-PLAYABLE-HI-RES-F file with the best sound, Streaming is on the talk and at the same time old stuff like tubes and vinyl still be present either in another 50 years.

Why do you need 200w plus? Do you live in a barn?

Personally I think except for the die hard tweakers USB is going to pass on and streamer devices will be the more popular for most audiophiles (not those here this being Comouter Audiophile).

At least in UK for many of us streaming services will fall down due to the lack of over 2mbps internet access so downloads and CD ripping will be the mainstay.

What I do think is important is the transparent support for all file formats. Users don't want to worry if they have a DSD download or 24/192 - they just want to put it on the server and play it.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Lots of great comments. Here is my vision of the future:

1. All in one box. (Turn it on, select music, play)

2. High Quality Streaming (what ever format makes you happy)

3. CD and Vinyl will continue along with other niche products.

Jabs makes a good point:

(quote) Funny how when I have guests over I get little bugs in my computer audio chain, hard drive slow to spin up, maybe a network device needs to be reinitialized so the system can find it , etc. However vinyl has always worked, so does spinning a disk in a CD or SACD player. Due to thier tremendous reliability I suspect these formats will last through the long haul. It also seems that as we advance technologies we are able to squeeze so much more sound out of these older formats. (end quote)

Until the computer is no longer a visible portion of Computer Audio chain Audio Nirvana will not arrive. For Example: I have never been able to get my FLAC files to play using Audirvana Plus 2X.

This is because I have no earthly idea how to manage my computer library system. My problem, not OS X, not Audirvana, as the old bluesman sez, nobody's problem but my own.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

My two cents...

long term solution...

Vinyl is here to stay as music industry knows we consumers cannot make our own vinyl from another vinyl.

Streaming music will become very popular and HiRes will soon be streaming too...again as we will not be able to make copies of the streaming music.(yes you can record the music but you cannot get the exact original digital data)

I don't think downloadable music will last to long for the very popular albums...again music labels are not comfortable with this option as it can easily be duplicated.

The small labels will provide all options

download files, CDs, streaming and vinyl

The big labels

streaming and vinyl only

Music after life

He would return it regardless...

Don't you want it to to sound like ARC separates too?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I think some of what people want is already available today if you look hard enough for it, though it is not all that hard. Certainly multiple formats at up to ultra hi rez is doable today. I do it routinely, in Mch even. Even vinyl, for those so inclined (I am not), is doable via USB phono preamps.

Maximum convenience, ease of use and stability are still a struggle, due mainly to the complex hardware/software platforms that underly computer audio. Single vendor music servers are an option for the less technically inclined, but they are always limited in some way and overly expensive. And, they still are comprised of hardware and software under the covers. No computer based system is ever or ever will be perfect, particularly not when you try to have it constantly adapting to new capabilities, like new formats, etc., or newer and better hardware capabilities.

I do think traditional hi fi components face continuing market erosion as computer audio matures and continues to nibble away at them. I have already displaced my preamp/processor, stand alone player and TV cable box with my computer based HT/Music Library PC and USB DAC. Sound quality is remarkable, far better than even the costliest hi fi components I have heard. If I were a hi fi dealer, I would want to start thinking about also becoming a home entertainment computer systems integrator, in addition to just selling and installing traditional audio/video boxes. Computer audio/home entertainment systems will likely move further beyond the primarily DIY hobbyist stage of today.

Unless they screw it up technically or commercially, I believe MQA will be huge in the future. I think it might be the biggest thing on the horizon, a breakthrough in many ways. It might greatly hasten the replacement of physical media in favor of streaming/downloading, improving availability of and interest in hi rez. Today's legacy formats will still have to be supported for some time, however.

Today's 2D 5.1/7.1 hi rez formats are viable and growing, if still a small niche for music. They are huge for home theater, however. They provide today's very best sound reproduction, at least for the classical music I listen to. Beyond that, true 3D formats for music, like Auro or some successor to that, face a long and difficult struggle in the marketplace. But, sooner, more likely later, they may also become viable for music on the coattails of home theater.

In a nutshell, I see more convergence into more integrated and more capable home entertainment systems, with computers being centrally involved in that. Some exciting newer media technologies like UHD Blu-Ray, MQA, etc. will be there also. Aspects of computer audio, hardware at least, are beginning to crop up in separate components, like the remarkable, high, high end Trinnov HT processor built around an Intel I7 CPU, greatly enhancing its capabilities. We may also see much more of that.