IGNORED

Minimserver users...transcode FLAC to WAV?

hmmm.. that doesn't seem to be the case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30715[/ATTACH]

what app are you using in the pic?

i use linn kazoo as a control point with minimserver and bubbleupnp server running on my nas. music is then pushed by minimserver to the renderer (a win10 pc running jriver in my case).

here's a pic from jriver showing the file info. the original file was a 24/96 flac file.

display.JPG

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Yes, you'll have to recreate any relevant playlists in the Lightning DS app that were constructed before you made the change in MinimServer, as they will be referencing the original FLAC files as opposed to the transcoded WAV files.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Yes, you'll have to recreate any relevant playlists in the Lightning DS app that were constructed before you made the change in MinimServer, as they will be referencing the original FLAC files as opposed to the transcoded WAV files.

Would clearing the library cache suffice? I am not using LightningServer

i use linn kazoo as a control point with minimserver and bubbleupnp server running on my nas. music is then pushed by minimserver to the renderer (a win10 pc running jriver in my case).
Just a minor point: it's the BubbleUPnP Server's private internal standard UPnP control point (as part of the OpenHome emulation for standard UPnP/DLNA renderers) that does the 'pushing' of the music file tracks to your pc running JRiver's built-in standard UPnP/DLNA renderer.

A UPnP/DLNA media server, like MinimServer, has no control over the renderer and therefore does what it's told (by the control point). It's 'supplying' the music files, rather than 'pushing' them.

Incidentally, a true OpenHome renderer can't be 'pushed' to, as it has ownership the current playlist and is able to therefore 'pull' the music files, from the UPnP media server, to itself.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Would clearing the library cache suffice? I am not using LightningServer
No and it has nothing to do with the Aries's built-in Lightning Server UPnP/DLNA media server. Clearing the Lightning DS library cache for MinimServer will force it to use MinimServer's current settings for new searches and playlist building, but it won't retrospectively adjust old playlists containing the older references to the FLAC files in MinimServer.

How can it? The Lightning DS app doesn't know anything about how a third party UPnP/DLNA media server, such as MinimServer, has been configured internally for transcoding, etc.

-- Jo Cox

No and it has nothing to do with the Aries's built-in Lightning Server UPnP/DLNA media server. Clearing the Lightning DS library cache for MinimServer will force it to use MinimServer's current settings for new searches and playlist building, but it won't retrospectively adjust old playlists containing the older references to the FLAC files in MinimServer.

How can it? The Lightning DS app doesn't know anything about how a third party UPnP/DLNA media server, such as MinimServer, has been configured internally for transcoding, etc.

ok. just to clarify, you are using "playlists" and "albums" interchangeably? I ask because i haven't created any playlists or grouping of files other than groupings, albums using metadata and not playlist functionality in DS.

And if so, how can i wipe out old references?

Ok, sorry for any mix up.

Clearing the cache should force the Lightning DS to rebuild any internal references it has to MinimServer's current music file data, so will include album art, other metadata references required for album, artist, genre, etc grouping and may be even the URL links to the actual music file tracks themselves (if Lightning DS goes as far as caching the file URLs - though I don't see what the point would be), so would include the (new) transcoded WAV files.

What it won't do is change any URL links to MinimServer's FLAC files for their corresponding MinimServer transcoded WAV file URLs, that are already contained in the (internal private) data of Lightning DS's saved playlists. Since you say you aren't using saved playlists, then this shouldn't be an issue.

However, don't forget there is also a 'current' playlist. If you were playing any of MinimServer's FLAC files before you made the change, the Aries's current playlist will still contain the references to those FLAC files. So you'll need to make sure you've cleared that 'old' currrent playlist.

-- Jo Cox

Ok, sorry for any mix up.

Clearing the cache should force the Lightning DS to rebuild any internal references it has to MinimServer's current music file data, so will include album art, other metadata references required for album, artist, genre, etc grouping and may be even the URL links to the actual music file tracks themselves (if Lightning DS goes as far as caching the file URLs - though I don't see what the point would be), so would include the (new) transcoded WAV files.

What it won't do is change any URL links to MinimServer's FLAC files for their corresponding MinimServer transcoded WAV file URLs, that are already contained in the (internal private) data of Lightning DS's saved playlists. Since you say you aren't using saved playlists, then this shouldn't be an issue.

However, don't forget there is also a 'current' playlist. If you were playing any of MinimServer's FLAC files before you made the change, the Aries's current playlist will still contain the references to those FLAC files. So you'll need to make sure you've cleared that 'old' currrent playlist.

so one more point for clarification. You are suggesting that MinimServer creates a WAV copy versus to transcoding on the fly (as requested) and not storing it to drive (NAS in my case)? Or did I misunderstand you?

Supplying a URL doesn't imply it's for an actual stored music file. MinimServer in common with other UPnP/DLNA media servers, uses an internal http file server (hence the URLs) to supply both physically stored files and those files created on the fly (in temporary memory & not stored) by its transcoder. It's the reason why the receiving Aries (or any other UPnP renderer) can't tell the difference.

-- Jo Cox

Supplying a URL doesn't imply it's for an actual stored music file. MinimServer in common with other UPnP/DLNA media servers, uses an internal http file server (hence the URLs) to supply both physically stored files and those files created on the fly (in memory & not stored) by its transcoder. It's the reason why the receiving Aries (or any other UPnP renderer) can't tell the difference.

got it. thank you for clarifying. I've cleared cache and rebuilt library. It appears that Aries is now recognizing FLAC files as WAV. thanks again!