IGNORED

Digital vs. analogue volume control for digital monitors

Just use the GLM provided for volume control. I run 8260s with some of the best Vinyl playback gear around and always use the GLM as volume control. The entire benefit of using DSP Genelec's is the simplicity and outstanding accuracy they provide, no need to make the process messy using old school methods. I listen and work on a lot of high end systems and the 8260,s cant be beat easily.

@20hertz:

Your setup intrigues me: In your super vinyl system you manage to avoid digitization all the way to the speakers. And then you’ve chosen digital monitors for this system. Can you tell me more about your thoughts behind this?

I find the improved midrange accuracy provided by the DSP room correction, and especially the seamless Genelec coax mid/tweeter extremely beneficial to my work. I am sure some highend analogue systems retain more of the vinyl magic but at a greater cost. The 8260s provide a tri-amped, DSP room corrected all in one speaker package, flat from 18 hertz, at a very reasonable cost.

When I run a digital frontend the Genelecs are just so simple to use, they accept SPDIF as well as AES, just swap the connector on the cable and use GLM for volume and room correction. For analogue playback I run from the phono stage direct into the spakers and have the best of both worlds.