IGNORED

New to Windows 8.1

Markhh2

Just built my first PC and installed Windows 8.1. Anyone know of a good guide to setting up 8.1 to run headless, disable passwords, pin programs to start menu etc? After I get that sorted I'll deal with audio optimization either with Fidelizer or something similar. Thanks in advance.

ROON Rock NUC, ALLO usb bridge, Exogal Comet, LTA MZ2, Quick Silver Mid Monos, Audio Note AN/E.

One of the first things I do on a Win 8.1 machine is install Classic Shell (www.classicshell.net) to change the start button behavior.

Because a replacement start menu is needed for a machine that will be headless and autostart the required applications on startup?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Because a replacement start menu is needed for a machine that will be headless and autostart the required applications on startup?

I don't know about you, but I often RDP into a headless machine for various reasons.

When I do, I much prefer the traditional (pre Windows 8) start menu behavior.

Just built my first PC and installed Windows 8.1. Anyone know of a good guide to setting up 8.1 to run headless, disable passwords, pin programs to start menu etc? After I get that sorted I'll deal with audio optimization either with Fidelizer or something similar. Thanks in advance.

Hi Markhh2,

This is something I put together a while back. It is needing updating (which I am working on!) but you may find it useful:

http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/Windows_Recommended_Playback_Software_Installation_V1-4.pdf

I am using JRIVER and JPLAY in this.

There is also Fidelizer which is excellent or I have written a free Windows 8.1 Optimization script:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/windows-8-audio-optimization-script-16353/

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production