IGNORED

Pono Music - Lousy Customer Service - Not Honoring Promo Code

I found a coupon code (MUSICONLY20OFF ) for Pono Music. I have an account with them as I had previously made some purchases. I placed some new downloads in my cart and entered the coupon code for the discount and it did not work. I tried making the purchase using several browsers and computers to no avail. The coupon was due to expire on April 10th at midnight Pacific Time and I attempted to make the purchase prior to the expiration time (and yes, I entered the code correctly).

I contacted Pono and opened up a help ticket. They acknowledged that I tried to make the purchase during the time the coupon was valid (my ticket was opened prior to the coupon's expiration). They apologized for the inconvenience. However, they refused to provide me either with a new code or offer to make a post purchase adjustment if I purchased the items at full-price (the 3 downloads are still sitting in my cart). The Steve Hoffman forum has postings from a few members that experienced the same issue as me.

It's amazing to me that in a market that could be best described as a niche market that the provider is unwilling to make a customer happy. A customer that complied with the terms of the promotion. Honestly, at the very least I would think their practices are unethical, if not illegal.

I had a similar experience with HDtracks last week. They sent out an ad with a 15% discount code that clearly listed the expiration date/time as 4/6/15 11:59 PDT. I tried to use it about 15 minutes before the expiration and it did not work. They had already loaded their website with the current week's new releases. I contacted support and they asked me to make the purchase, if I was still interested, and they would adjust the purchase price after the sale was completed. I think these companies should run their businesses more efficiently, but at least HDtracks offered to do the right thing.

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed with Pono Music and won't be doing any more business with them unless they change their policies or provide better customer support.

I have a very hard time understanding why they won't give you the discount after the fact, since you very clearly ordered before it expired.

I had trouble with a coupon on Overstock.com recently trying to order a watch. The customer service agent sold me the watch over the phone at the discounted price, essentially no questions asked.

The problem is, businesses are run by people, and some people are just stupid.

I ate lunch at a new restaurant in town. I enjoyed it, and told the manager I would return. I called a few days later to make a dinner reservation for 4, and he said they only take reservations for parties of 8 or more. He asked what time I wanted to eat, and I told him. He said, "no problem, just show up, it's first come, first served".

I show up with my dining companions, and he recognizes me. I said, "I told you I would be back", and he grinned broadly. I spot an empty table, and ask to be seated there. He says, 'No, that table seats six, you will have to wait half an hour."

Of course, we immediately walked out, and went elsewhere. Why would you alienate and turn away four paying customers who will leave and never come back, when there was no one else waiting? Like I said, stupid.

Hello asiano,

Perhaps posting at the Pono Community Forum may attract NY or someone who has the authority to do the right thing. In my experience, when one is not treated fairly, going up the corporate/management ladder to someone whose sense of responsibility, good will and appreciation for our business and has the authority to right the wrong done to you may result in a satisfactory outcome.

Sorry for your troubles.

Best,

Richard

PS

Wonder if Pono Music monitors this Forum...

I found a coupon code (MUSICONLY20OFF ) for Pono Music. I have an account with them as I had previously made some purchases. I placed some new downloads in my cart and entered the coupon code for the discount and it did not work. I tried making the purchase using several browsers and computers to no avail. The coupon was due to expire on April 10th at midnight Pacific Time and I attempted to make the purchase prior to the expiration time (and yes, I entered the code correctly).

I contacted Pono and opened up a help ticket. They acknowledged that I tried to make the purchase during the time the coupon was valid (my ticket was opened prior to the coupon's expiration). They apologized for the inconvenience. However, they refused to provide me either with a new code or offer to make a post purchase adjustment if I purchased the items at full-price (the 3 downloads are still sitting in my cart). The Steve Hoffman forum has postings from a few members that experienced the same issue as me.

It's amazing to me that in a market that could be best described as a niche market that the provider is unwilling to make a customer happy. A customer that complied with the terms of the promotion. Honestly, at the very least I would think their practices are unethical, if not illegal.

I had a similar experience with HDtracks last week. They sent out an ad with a 15% discount code that clearly listed the expiration date/time as 4/6/15 11:59 PDT. I tried to use it about 15 minutes before the expiration and it did not work. They had already loaded their website with the current week's new releases. I contacted support and they asked me to make the purchase, if I was still interested, and they would adjust the purchase price after the sale was completed. I think these companies should run their businesses more efficiently, but at least HDtracks offered to do the right thing.

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed with Pono Music and won't be doing any more business with them unless they change their policies or provide better customer support.

I had the same experience, and was essentially and politely told by their support staff, "we will have more discounts in the future".

This is not good customer service at all!

Perhaps the answer lies in making a purchase 15 minutes before the promotion ends. The problem being faced is very likely simple time-zone issues. I encountered this with Pro Studio Masters and I alerted them to the problem. They apologized and offered an olive-branch as an inducement.

What these companies don't realize is that being east coast enterprises essentially puts them 3 hours ahead of people from the west coast. Their software can most likely be taught to accommodate this issue, but it takes the effort of the vendor to offer good will and actually fix the problem.

Just an update - I actually called Pono Music today on their 800 number. It connects you to customer support and my experience was just as bad as going through the ticket process.

The support representative stated that they are aware of the issue, they received complaints from numerous customers, they brought these complaints to upper management and management decided NOT to remedy the issue. Their rational, according to the rep, is that if it leaks out that they actually provided good customer service, others may come out of the woodwork asking for the same treatment. Ultimately, that's a weak position. I would see this as a great opportunity to satisfy and grow their customer base. Other companies, like HDtracks and it would seem Pro Studio Masters, don't seem to be as shortsighted as Pono Music as they try to remedy issues that their customers experience. At the very least, if you sent a support ticket prior to the expiration of the promotion, they should honor it.

I will never do business with this company again. I purchased over $200 of Neil Young downloads several weeks ago and that will ultimately be my only purchase from this provider.

Just an update - I actually called Pono Music today on their 800 number. It connects you to customer support and my experience was just as bad as going through the ticket process.

The support representative stated that they are aware of the issue, they received complaints from numerous customers, they brought these complaints to upper management and management decided NOT to remedy the issue. Their rational, according to the rep, is that if it leaks out that they actually provided good customer service, others may come out of the woodwork asking for the same treatment. Ultimately, that's a weak position. I would see this as a great opportunity to satisfy and grow their customer base. Other companies, like HDtracks and it would seem Pro Studio Masters, don't seem to be as shortsighted as Pono Music as they try to remedy issues that their customers experience. At the very least, if you sent a support ticket prior to the expiration of the promotion, they should honor it.

I will never do business with this company again. I purchased over $200 of Neil Young downloads several weeks ago and that will ultimately be my only purchase from this provider.

With your permission can I take and re-post this directly on the Pono forum?

This is just unbelievable to me!

Hello asiano,

Your story is confounding. Extraordinary response from Pono Music. Perhaps one of the most inept responses I have heard from a business that sells digital downloads and publishes the terms of their offer then refuses to comply defending their decision with a rationale that doesn't distinguish between customers with timely orders and those who might manufacture a false scenario and take advantage of Pono Music. Someone in management has been promoted to their level of incompetency. Neil! Step in and make a difference!

My experience with Pro Studio Masters has been the best EVEN when I have erred. PSM appreciates our business and makes every effort to be fair and thoughtful. The antithesis of what you present as Pono Music management's position which makes no sense to me. In fact, when I first read your narrative of the conversation between you and the customer service person, it sounded like something someone would make up because s/he did not possess the management skills or the foresight to fairly handle a good customer who had done business with Pono Music in the past which should not have made a difference in the first place as the criterion is objective, i.e., time and date of the order. It is reasonable to deny customers who manufacture a false time/date scenario who should have no standing.

Management's rationale does not match the facts as orders placed on the Internet have a date and usually a time stamp which can be determined from their logs. If their rationale is tantamount to a pattern of refusing to support customers who place timely orders whatever the customer's time zone if within the time frame of the offer, Pacific Time, they are making extraordinarily poor customer service decisions and are not acting in an honorable fashion.

Badly done, Pono Music Management. Badly done!

Best,

Richard

Hello asiano,

Your story is confounding. Extraordinary response from Pono Music. Perhaps one of the most inept responses I have heard from a business that sells digital downloads and publishes the terms of their offer then refuses to comply defending their decision with a rationale that doesn't distinguish between customers with timely orders and those who might manufacture a false scenario and take advantage of Pono Music. Someone in management has been promoted to their level of incompetency. Neil! Step in and make a difference!

My experience with Pro Studio Masters has been the best EVEN when I have erred. PSM appreciates our business and makes every effort to be fair and thoughtful. The antithesis of what you present as Pono Music management's position which makes no sense to me. In fact, when I first read your narrative of the conversation between you and the customer service person, it sounded like something someone would make up because s/he did not possess the management skills or the foresight to fairly handle a good customer who had done business with Pono Music in the past which should not have made a difference in the first place as the criterion is objective, i.e., time and date of the order. It is reasonable to deny customers who manufacture a false time/date scenario who should have no standing.

Management's rationale does not match the facts as orders placed on the Internet have a date and usually a time stamp which can be determined from their logs. If their rationale is tantamount to a pattern of refusing to support customers who place timely orders whatever the customer's time zone if within the time frame of the offer, Pacific Time, they are making extraordinarily poor customer service decisions and are not acting in an honorable fashion.

Badly done, Pono Music Management. Badly done!

Best,

Richard

I was surprised as well. I thought it might help to actually speak to someone as opposed to communicating via email. I believe you mentioned trying to contact someone at their headquarters.

The rep stated I was one of many that complained, but they couldn't do anything per management. I even mentioned how HDtracks handled a similar issue where their codes stopped working early because of an update to their website. I stated how HDtracks asked me to purchase the item, contact them and they would then credit me for the discount amount. Pono Music refused to do that.

It's just odd to me that they would place an offer that I would think was designed to build goodwill and increase sales and their customer base, they execute it poorly (I'm sure by accident) and they won't remedy the issue. I get they are relatively new and working out the kinks, but in those situations good business dictates taking care of your customers.

I have a confirmation email from them at 11:42 PM Pacific Time on 4/10/15 that my ticket was created. They acknowledged in their response to my ticket that it was created prior to the promos expiration and they don't understand why it didn't work. I told them the 3 items I wanted to buy are still in my cart and I'm just asking that they do the same as HDtracks - credit my account after the purchase and they say no and turn down a sale of approximately $62 after the discount.

I posted at Pono Community concerning the matter of asiano's denial of his purchase order. Someone had already posted a portion of one of asiano's posts.

Perhaps, Management will rethink their decision.

Good fortune in any case.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I was surprised as well. I thought it might help to actually speak to someone as opposed to communicating via email. I believe you mentioned trying to contact someone at their headquarters.

The rep stated I was one of many that complained, but they couldn't do anything per management. I even mentioned how HDtracks handled a similar issue where their codes stopped working early because of an update to their website. I stated how HDtracks asked me to purchase the item, contact them and they would then credit me for the discount amount. Pono Music refused to do that.

It's just odd to me that they would place an offer that I would think was designed to build goodwill and increase sales and their customer base, they execute it poorly (I'm sure by accident) and they won't remedy the issue. I get they are relatively new and working out the kinks, but in those situations good business dictates taking care of your customers.

I have a confirmation email from them at 11:42 PM Pacific Time on 4/10/15 that my ticket was created. They acknowledged in their response to my ticket that it was created prior to the promos expiration and they don't understand why it didn't work. I told them the 3 items I wanted to buy are still in my cart and I'm just asking that they do the same as HDtracks - credit my account after the purchase and they say no and turn down a sale of approximately $62 after the discount.

How reasonably can you behave? And still no satisfaction. Of course accidents happen and mistakes are made. But as the ole saw states, that's why they make pencils with erasers. Recently, I foolishly deleted one of several purchases made at Pro Studio Masters believing I had copied the DL to my Music Library on an external Raid drive. Oops! No download (an expensive one). I must have deleted the actual download. Yikes! It took one email along with my apology for my error; and PSM was merciful (smile) and did the right thing by allowing me, easy as pie, to re-download. And HDtracks in the past has helped me out with other matters again doing the right thing.

I realize you can take a horse to water but can not make him float on his back; and we have probably exhausted this unhappy tale, so there is no sense in rehashing this further. But, honestly, what small minds that think through such matters so meagerly in their Spirit.

I am hoping for happy endings.

Best,

Richard

I posted at Pono Community concerning the matter of asiano's denial of his purchase order. Someone had already posted a portion of one of asiano's posts.

Perhaps, Management will rethink their decision.

Good fortune in any case.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Anyone know the latest promo codes for Pono and Prostudiomasters?

I intend to buy a bunch of stuff & no point doing so without a discount. I am frustrated in that I have used HDTracks for at least 5 years. Now it seems I have to go to multiple places to find things. Wildflowers from TP is on Pono but not on the others. HDTracks is blocking Canada with many albums now. Prostudiomasters does not have Wildflowers. What a frustrating mess!

Anyone know the latest promo codes for Pono and Prostudiomasters?

I intend to buy a bunch of stuff & no point doing so without a discount. I am frustrated in that I have used HDTracks for at least 5 years. Now it seems I have to go to multiple places to find things. Wildflowers from TP is on Pono but not on the others. HDTracks is blocking Canada with many albums now. Prostudiomasters does not have Wildflowers. What a frustrating mess!

I posted the limited time latest Pono Music offer at the other Pono thread devoted to music downloads. And to avoid OT will either find a Pro Studio Master thread or start one and provide the latest discount code. Sorry trying to be respectful of the OP. That's all.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hi @asiano, We are sorry to hear about your experience and the others with the recent coupon promotion at PonoMusic. We have cleared up any confusion with our support team on the redemptions of the coupon and understand your frustrations. The intention was never to not honor the discount offer, rather in a few cases where the codes were not working, the quickest resolve was to have the customer make the purchase and then credit back the discount amount if the code was not working for the person. There was only one code for this discount for all eligible users and no way to issue a new code. We want to keep our customers happy and coming back to PonoMusic and extend this offer to any PonoCommunity members that had issues with check out during the promotion. Please contact [email protected] and reference the fact that you were not able to check out with the coupon offer and we will honor this. Mahalo, The PonoMusic Team

Hi @asiano, We are sorry to hear about your experience and the others with the recent coupon promotion at PonoMusic. We have cleared up any confusion with our support team on the redemptions of the coupon and understand your frustrations. The intention was never to not honor the discount offer, rather in a few cases where the codes were not working, the quickest resolve was to have the customer make the purchase and then credit back the discount amount if the code was not working for the person. There was only one code for this discount for all eligible users and no way to issue a new code. We want to keep our customers happy and coming back to PonoMusic and extend this offer to any PonoCommunity members that had issues with check out during the promotion. Please contact [email protected] and reference the fact that you were not able to check out with the coupon offer and we will honor this. Mahalo, The PonoMusic Team

Hello PonoMusic Team,

Never too late to do the right thing. I applaud your solution and desire to cure a mistake. As a Pono Community member and customer at Pono Music, Well done! Well done! On behalf of those who concur with your resolution, thank you for restoring trust and being fair with us.

Best,

Richard

Hello asiano,

All's well that ends well to quote William Shakespeare. N'est-de pas?

Hope the resolution proffered by The PonoMusic Team restores you and your (now) pending additions to your music library. I took the liberty of responding on behalf of my own sense of right doing both here at CA and as a member at Pono Music at their Pono Community Forum where I recently left my foot print on their manners. I believe the right thing was done by them on your behalf so it only seems right to applaud them even if getting there was a bit unpleasant.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hello asiano,

All's well that ends well to quote William Shakespeare. N'est-de pas?

Hope the resolution proffered by The PonoMusic Team restores you and your (now) pending additions to your music library. I took the liberty of responding on behalf of my own sense of right doing both here at CA and as a member at Pono Music at their Pono Community Forum where I recently left my foot print on their manners. I believe the right thing was done by them on your behalf so it only seems right to applaud them even if getting there was a bit unpleasant.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I can't seem to preview Pono tracks on a Mac? How do I know what the quality is. Do I just take the word of a big windbag like Neil?

I checked tracks on Prostudiomasters and I can immediately hear the difference vs CD so it gives me confidence to purchase.

You have to login(create a user account ) to Pono Music to enable the preview feature for music tracks. They are not available till you login to their site.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Ok thanks. I was kicking tires on the site. Not intuitive at all that you need to sign in.

beplexico is correct. Actually, there is a prompt that advises one to login to hear track samples. My response is meant as just information, nothing more. And as you experience, PSM does not require one to log in to preview tracks. Nor HDtracks.com. Wonder what the actual reason is for requiring login first. Keep track of who visits? Encourage registration?

Best,

Richard

beplexico is correct. Actually, there is a prompt that advises one to login to hear track samples. My response is meant as just information, nothing more. And as you experience, PSM does not require one to log in to preview tracks. Nor HDtracks.com. Wonder what the actual reason is for requiring login first. Keep track of who visits? Encourage registration?

Best,

Richard

Sorry for the typo. Should have read bplexico.

Best,

Richard