IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

• 2 weeks later...

Last night a friend brought over his Curious Cables 200mm Regen link. We compared this to the solid adapter used between Regen and my DAC.

We both thought that the Curious Regen link delivered a significant improvement over the solid adapter in my system. My jaw actually dropped when I first heard it (just after a profane word inadvertently flew out of my mouth).

The Curious Link cleaned things up and took off an edge. This resulted in a smoother and more natural sound. There were also nice improvements at both frequency extremes, with tighter bass and more natural-sounding treble. There was also better spacing between instruments.

What made it even more interesting was that I also had on hand a Simaudio 280 DAC on loan from a dealer. This included the optional internal MiND streamer. The MiND model sounded more transparent than my Aries/REGEN when connected via the solid adapter. With the Curious link, we both actually favored the Aries/REGEN, but it was very close.

I think the Curious link might have delivered an even bigger improvement than what I first heard from the Regen. It was by far a bigger improvement than switching to powering the Regen with a linear supply. In fairness to the Regen, it seems to me now that the solid adapter had been limiting things.

The Curious Regen link at $120 seems like a no brainier to me. The USB cable feeding the Regen should be factored into this though. In my case this is the Audience Au24 SE, which recently replaced a LightSpeed that it easily bettered. Serious consideration should probably be given to using the Curious USB cables at both ends of the Regen.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Excuse my bluntness, but the USB adapter supplied by Regen is not worthy of the comparison you made. So without denigrating the Curious link, which I've never heard, I'd suggest a more dilligent comparison before jumping for the Curious. Out of the box, it should have been between Regen's short cable, which is good sonically, and the Curious and whatever else. When I had John Kenny's dac connected out the back of my computer with USB adapters, needing a male to female and one other I tested a number of those and found one that was worth installing (as I recall, it was USB Male to Female Adapter/Converter - Free Shipping - DealExtreme). But my guess is the short Regen supplied cable would be better than any of those solid adapters, and probably a few to several USB cables will be better than the Regen's cable link

No one should install the adapter you link to, since it isn't the type needed with the Regen.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Excuse my bluntness, but the USB adapter supplied by Regen is not worthy of the comparison you made.

Other people are using the short adapter. I'm simply informing them of an upgrade that I consider to be well worth the cost.

it should have been between Regen's short cable, which is good sonically

I disagree. It's crap.

That short cable was tossed in there by Superdad as an emergency cable for those who can't get the short adapter to work because of physical constraints. Most of those who have reported comparing the two have cited a preference for the short adapter.

As an FYI, the friend who brought over the Curious link had physical constraints that prevented him from using the short cable. He also got a significant bump in sound quality with the Curious link.

But my guess is the short Regen supplied cable would be better than any of those solid adapters

Your guess? You haven't compared it for yourself?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I started with the solid adapter and it lasted about 60 seconds. The cable was/is a vast improvement here. The Regen instructions say the adapter is a better impedance match, but to me sound is what counts. Given what else I'm using, I haven't felt going for something more was a priority. No adapter is going to compare to a decent cable, which is why the comparison isn't particularly useful, except to say that the Curious sounded good and is worth looking at.

Jud, I wasn't suggesting the link was for the Regen, but that it was the only one of several USB adapters, A-B and male-female, I tried with the Ciunas dac that was worth anything sonically, as I recall (it's been over two years).

I started with the solid adapter and it lasted about 60 seconds. The cable was/is a vast improvement here. The Regen instructions say the adapter is a better impedance match, but to me sound is what counts. Given what else I'm using, I haven't felt going for something more was a priority. No adapter is going to compare to a decent cable, which is why the comparison isn't particularly useful, except to say that the Curious sounded good and is worth looking at.

In your initial reply to me you emphasized the importance of a "diligent comparison". Is listening to the solid adapter for 60 seconds what you mean?

It sounds like the solid adapter never had a chance as your mind was already made up.

Hi, highstream. I know it wasn't something you intended to suggest for the Regen, but I wanted to make sure others reading through quickly didn't get the wrong idea.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Last week I received the Regen and Curious usb cable (0.8m) and Curious Regen link (0.2m). First (after 3 days 24/7 playing) I listened to the Curious usb 0.8m. It sounds really good and outperforms other cables I've tried (El cheapo printer usb cable, Chord silver plus, Adioquest diamond, King rex y U art, Total dac D1). This cable has a full 3D sound and sounds very natural. Then I put the Regen in the chain and the Curious Regen link. It improved the performance in every possible way. It sounds more relaxed, more tonality and with a lot of details without becoming fatiguing. The combination of Regen/Curious sounds very holographic with amazing depth and with and very good layering. For example: Al di Meola's album Elegant Gypsy used to sound flat and toneless. Now it sounds much more engaging and with very good layering. I hear details that come to live and a very good layering of sounds. Now it's a pleasure to listen to this record again while before the Regen/Curious combi it sounded "boring" (production wise, not the musicians:)). After a while I removed the Curious link and put the solid adaptor in place. The soundstage collapsed and the layering was not as good as before. As someone mentioned before it took just a few minutes to hear the difference. So I put the Curious link back in place. Next step is to experiment with the power supply. So far I used the standard psu and I'm going to try 2 different LPSU 12 v. So far I am very happy with the Regen/Curious combi. Thanks to Alex for the priority delivery to the Netherlands. I appreciate this very much!

Audio aan Zee Reference Flow server

Bricasti M1 DAC

Avalon Ascent mkII

Jeff Rowland model 8

MIT 350 proline twin xlr interlinks

TMC triwire LS cables

USB REGEN & Curious cables

Dedicated listening room tube traps etc etc....

No, just next to unlistenable. To be fair, I could have left it 200 hours to see if it burned in, but what's the point when I've been down that road and the cable started way better off the bat.

"Unlistenable"? You just lost all credibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week I received the Regen and Curious usb cable (0.8m) and Curious Regen link (0.2m). First (after 3 days 24/7 playing) I listened to the Curious usb 0.8m. It sounds really good and outperforms other cables I've tried (El cheapo printer usb cable, Chord silver plus, Adioquest diamond, King rex y U art, Total dac D1). This cable has a full 3D sound and sounds very natural. Then I put the Regen in the chain and the Curious Regen link. It improved the performance in every possible way. It sounds more relaxed, more tonality and with a lot of details without becoming fatiguing. The combination of Regen/Curious sounds very holographic with amazing depth and with and very good layering. For example: Al di Meola's album Elegant Gypsy used to sound flat and toneless. Now it sounds much more engaging and with very good layering. I hear details that come to live and a very good layering of sounds. Now it's a pleasure to listen to this record again while before the Regen/Curious combi it sounded "boring" (production wise, not the musicians:)). After a while I removed the Curious link and put the solid adaptor in place. The soundstage collapsed and the layering was not as good as before. As someone mentioned before it took just a few minutes to hear the difference. So I put the Curious link back in place. Next step is to experiment with the power supply. So far I used the standard psu and I'm going to try 2 different LPSU 12 v. So far I am very happy with the Regen/Curious combi. Thanks to Alex for the priority delivery to the Netherlands. I appreciate this very much!

Great to see the Regen improving things on a stellar setup - this time with the Bricasti M1 DAC.

And that Curious cable continues to become more and more interesting ...

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Great to see the Regen improving things on a stellar setup - this time with the Bricasti M1 DAC.

And that Curious cable continues to become more and more interesting ...

Update: Last night I tried two LPSU's. Using the 12v "Audio aan Zee" LPSU I didn't hear any difference compared to the stock psu. Then I connected the 12v King REX LPSU mk2. Woh!!!! I try to explain the improvement but English is not my native language..... The improvement is a much bigger soundpicture and sound expands almost to 360 degrees of course only with recordings that are produced to sound that way. Examples: Amused to death - Roger Waters and The eye - Yello. I've never heard sounds from all directions (from the left and right corners behind my listening chair). If 0 degrees is the position exactly between the loudspeakers and 180 degrees is right behind the listening chair than the soundarea is from 0 to 135 degrees (right side) and 225 to 0 (360) degrees (left side). I hope you can follow this explanation. Tonality, dynamic impact, layering etc stays as good as it was. I find this set up really spectacular and the Regen/Curious/King REX LPSU is a hughe upgrade for me! I am curious how the mystery psu will sound.......foto3.jpg

foto1.jpg

foto2.jpg

Bricasti M1 DAC

Avalon Ascent mkII

Jeff Rowland model 8

TMC triwire LS cables

No risk to try. For me it is the best cable and I've tried some serious contenders as you can see. It won't surprise me as it outperfoms your WW.

Bricasti M1 DAC

Avalon Ascent mkII

Jeff Rowland model 8

TMC triwire LS cables

No risk to try. For me it is the best cable and I've tried some serious contenders as you can see. It won't surprise me as it outperfoms your WW.

Okay, I ordered the REGEN - DAC link Curious USB cable. All of you have convinced me. And if even Dutch members start to write raving reviews I just have to try myself!

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so I was finally able to try the stacked Regens (green + amber) setup

*impressions* are:

- overall cleaner (even less background :0 ) and slightly more bodied sound

though...

- I also *feel* subtle decays to be smeared away more than just a little bit, and...

- a tiny little bit less controlled deep basses (maybe!)

I could very well live with this overall, since it's anyway very good indeed, but think I'll go back to just the "amber" Regen

will keep this setup a few days anyhow ;)

EDIT: listened to one track (Cowboy Junkies "Fairytale") with stacked Regens first then with just the amber and definitely one single Regen is enough to do all of the magic in my system

subtle decays are back in all their glory and that tiny little bit of sibilance I wasn't sure about is gone.

bass is, maybe, a bit more "boomy" but there's definitely more detail in there

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi,

Doing an experiment with trying a Mojo as my main DAC while waiting for my Yggdrasil. I already had a Regen with my QB-9 DSD.

Is did not see a "Mojo Link" on Curious' website. Any suggestion?

Thanks guys.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Hi,

Doing an experiment with trying a Mojo as my main DAC while waiting for my Yggdrasil. I already had a Regen with my QB-9 DSD.

Is did not see a "Mojo Link" on Curious' website. Any suggestion?

Thanks guys.

Both the Chord Mojo and Hugo both have a microB USB input jack, and Curious Cables sells a REGEN Link with USB A to microB plugs (listed as REGEN>Hugo Link though of course some other DACs have microB input jacks as well.

Both the Chord Mojo and Hugo both have a microB USB input jack, and Curious Cables sells a REGEN Link with USB A to microB plugs (listed as REGEN>Hugo Link though of course some other DACs have microB input jacks as well.

I've got the Hugo link between regen and Hugo, its a great cable but Rob does state that it is not as robust as ordinary A>B usb. but mine is not used anywhere other than on hifi rack

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Only small words about my last experience with Regen .

My Regen failed 4 weeks ago.

Alex told me to return it for a replacement. So I have lived without Regen for about 4 weeks.

Meanwhile, something missed from my system.

When the new Regen arrived , I handed it in my system and I immediately hear diferences.

Basses very more defined, more spaces, better 3D sounding ,...

It was an interristing experience.

• 3 weeks later...