IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

I was curious about the weight, so this is probably way overkill I then?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18105[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18106[/ATTACH]

wow, I too like the "right" one in the bottom design, or the top unit is fine also.

the adjustability slider would be perfect given differing heights on USB ports on so many DACs...

bravo!

Ok, Regen has only been warmed up for a couple hours but let's toss out some early returns from a White Sox fan, not at all pleased with the detroit start to the season:

common elements: ALAC files, Audirvana 2.0.10, Gungnir USB Gen2, Lyr 2 with Telefunken E88CC tubes, HE-560 (open grill mod).

1. past 2 weeks: "USB tweak" had the Wyrd (using Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cables) feeding Gungnir.

always enjoyed the level of detail and additional instrument separation Wyrd gave to Gungnir.

2. for the last few days however, removed Wyrd and used a YFS split cable with a battery feeding Gungnir.

easiest change to detect: this allowed more depth, to the point of "backing vocal" sounded more accurately placed now, and not as far forward. don't think details were lost, but overall sound was a tad smoother like analog.

other changes harder to detect.

3. tonight: Regen + iFi iPower 9V (sorry didn't use stock PS yet) using Wireworld Starlight 7 cables.

um wow.

swear I bumped the volume knob on Lyr 2, when switching from config #2 to this, but nope.

the wide sound stage was still there, yet with increase in clarity, and the backing vocals remained in back, not pushed forward.

bass feel and reverberations also improved and easier to detect. guitar string decays had definition without any fuzzy "when and where did it go" indecision.

details normally buried in busy, psych rock tracks were newly/easily detected.

echoes of vocals in rooms sounded more realistic and had that hollow-room feeling.

soundstage might have increased (for me) more vertically than width- which was welcomed!

was hoping Regen would be an upgrade over Wyrd, and certainly seems so.

Regen makes the DACs job "easier" to deliver the most out of the music.

still need to playback some "single instrument" tracks, but please don't request many back-n-forth tests with Wyrd.

loaned out Wyrd to my friend for 1-2 weeks, so for now I'll be going off memory as Regen burns in.

cheers to SuperDad and John S for this gem. may ye get rich by selling this tech to other DAC USB receiver companies!

bolexico

brucemck2

jexby

Those supports were just some doodles and I have better idea that would connect to the screws so it's pretty low profile.

To make something universal that accounts for differing heights/locations is a challenge. It's just for fun and obviously putting post-it's would work fine :)

Once I get my regen I'll see if I can make a support using the new idea on a 3d printer I have access to, or possibly one of the others in the model shop

My rig

bolexico

brucemck2

jexby

Those supports were just some doodles and I have better idea that would connect to the screws so it's pretty low profile.

To make something universal that accounts for differing heights/locations is a challenge. It's just for fun and obviously putting post-it's would work fine :)

Once I get my regen I'll see if I can make a support using the new idea on a 3d printer I have access to, or possibly one of the others in the model shop

If you start production I think you might get close to 100% of REGEN customers, me included! Nice designs.

Hi Foggie. I would say these are definitely not overkill for people using typical USB cables. The Mapleshade I use is the equivalent of a fishnet stocking around a few very thin wires, so the weight and torsion are almost nothing.

And I'd be interested too, because although I can get away without it, it would be nice to have support. I wonder whether the design on the lower left, depending on the weight of the support itself, might not put more leverage on the USB connection to the DAC than I have right now, though.

Because of my particular setup (DAC on Mapleshade brass footers sits on 2 inch maple platform supported by Mapleshade cork and rubber feet - see first picture below), I'd be looking for a fairly tall version of something like the design on the lower right. I'd need something like that which slants in toward the table top, since right now the Regen is hanging over thin air (see second picture).

IMG_1135CA.jpg

Regen.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

swear I bumped the volume knob on Lyr 2, when switching from config #2 to this, but nope.

Just out of caution, when I have a few minutes I want to use my iPhone's AudioTools SPL meter app to compare volume levels with/without Regen, which I haven't done yet.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Foggie. I would say these are definitely not overkill for people using typical USB cables. The Mapleshade I use is the equivalent of a fishnet stocking around a few very thin wires, so the weight and torsion are almost nothing.

I think the lower left one will still work. You just need to glue another small piece of wooden strip or aluminum strip at the bottom of the board where the support meet to act as stopper. The support will be further supported by this stopper, then problem solved.

And I'd be interested too, because although I can get away without it, it would be nice to have support. I wonder whether the design on the lower left, depending on the weight of the support itself, might not put more leverage on the USB connection to the DAC than I have right now, though.

Because of my particular setup (DAC on Mapleshade brass footers sits on 2 inch maple platform supported by Mapleshade cork and rubber feet - see first picture below), I'd be looking for a fairly tall version of something like the design on the lower right. I'd need something like that which slants in toward the table top, since right now the Regen is hanging over thin air (see second picture).

Thanks for the pics (nice gear btw), as it illustrates yet another unique setup/situation. I have a few other thoughts (well, many) but this one might be feasible. Again, just for fun and dimensionally things should be pretty close (the dac in the illustration is 4.75" high). Although with this one, velcro is used on the "top", which I'm not too crazy about.

top mnt2.JPG

top mnt.JPG

My rig

I think the lower left one will still work. You just need to glue another small piece of wooden strip or aluminum strip at the bottom of the board where the support meet to act as stopper. The support will be further supported by this stopper, then problem solved.

If I'm following, the stopper could be a small piece of "foam" (attached to the dac) that the bracket would rest on like this?

cradle3a.JPG

Sorry to hijack this thread guys with these silly ideas, I'll quit now :) If I get anything made up and it works I'll post back! :)

My rig

Foggie:

I like where you are going with this--thanks for the good ideas. I have been planning on talking with my friend/award-winning industrial designer/architect about something very much along the lines of what you are proposing, with the idea of making an adjustable support available as a modest-cost option.

Please be advised that the end panels of the REGEN's case are 0.5mm larger overall (0.25mm at each edge) than the extrusion itself. So the above support designs would not be able to just slide over the REGEN unless the oval opening was made larger than the body of the case, or one end cap was removed to slip it on. I also wonder what would keep the REGEN from sliding around, and also from being scratched by the opening's edge if it was left bare.

Certainly there are many possibilities and we are flattered that you (and others) already think enough of the REGEN to devote time and creative energy towards an enhancement to it.

Thanks again,

--Alex

If I'm following, the stopper could be a small piece of "foam" (attached to the dac) that the bracket would rest on like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18130[/ATTACH]

Sorry to hijack this thread guys with these silly ideas, I'll quit now :) If I get anything made up and it works I'll post back! :)

Yes. That is what I meant. Sorry guys, last reply.

The other day I saw those cork/rubber feet beneath a furnace. I inquired, and was told they are available at HVAC supply houses.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18112[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18113[/ATTACH]

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

The other day I saw those cork/rubber feet beneath a furnace. I inquired, and was told they are available at HVAC supply houses.

Oh but these are *special* (laughing at myself).

Regen delivered minutes ago :)

already connected and playing

can't use the "solid" connector (Alex has a picture of my messy setup :P and might guess why)

all I will say for the moment is... it definitely makes a difference even though I'm using it to feed an Audiophilleo (with PurePower battery PSU)

more later ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

The even cooler thing is that Jud's equipment feet are also edible!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18135[/ATTACH]

Those and a Cookie Monster face for the front of the DAC.... :)

By the way, back on topic, as I once again have the Regen burning in with shuffle play: Alison Krauss's version of Richard Thompson's Dimming of the Day from her album Paper Airplane was just stunning. Instrumental accompaniment and vocal so beautiful and so clear....

By the way, back on topic, as I once again have the Regen burning in with shuffle play: Alison Krauss's version of Richard Thompson's Dimming of the Day from her album Paper Airplane was just stunning. Instrumental accompaniment and vocal so beautiful and so clear....

I don't have anything from Alison, but would like to start. Would Paper Airplane be the CD to start with or is there a diff album/download that is recommended (well recorded too)?

My rig

I don't have anything from Alison, but would like to start. Would Paper Airplane be the CD to start with or is there a diff album/download that is recommended (well recorded too)?

All of Alison Krauss' stuff is pretty well mastered. I personally own 15 of her albums.

Her best solo anthology is, "Now That I've Found You: A Collection". With Union Station, her current band, I definitely recommend, "New Favorite", and "Paper Airplane". The first two are available from PonoMusic as redbook downloads, along with several other good ones.

Pono doesn't have "Paper Airplane, for some reason, but you can get that one in 24/96 hi-res from HDtracks, and it sounds great.

ok... a couple of hours later:

must confess the very first impression has been... everything is sounding "leaner" :-/

so I unplugged the Regen and re-listened to the very same track (from an almost forgotten cuban compilation, "Made in Havana", with recording quality going from "mediocre" to "just fair") and... yes: there was indeed more "stuff"

back again to the Regen and once more the same track: I immediately realized that that "more stuff" actually was just... "more fluff"

so I let the whole album play, listening "casually", and getting my ears used to this "new sound"

I'm not at all into with/without comparisons: I either like what I'm earing and let everything as it is or not

suffice to say I couldn't find anymore the faintest reason to even try pulling the Regen from my chain :)

the change it makes, in my system, is of the same nature (but, obviously, to a lesser extent) as when I moved from a "traditional" sigma-delta DAC connected via USB to a pure NOS one connected via s/pdif by means of the Audiophilleo

it's at the same time a "subtle" *and* "very patent" change

it makes for sure a difference. and one that I deeply like and enjoy :)

can't say I'm now hearing "never heard before" stuff but... everything is definitely *c*leaner (not "leaner"! sorry Alex and John: forgot that "c" at first :P ) and goes right in the direction I'm aiming at since I started putting together this (messy) system

(plus the usual sharpest focus and soundstage, better control and definition on deep basses, finer details blah-blah-blah)

shhhhttt now: let me enjoy once more this astonishing 'cello and piano album ;)

("Chants, Hymns and Dances" by Gurdjeff, performed by Anja Lechner and Vassilis Tsabropoulos)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

the change it makes, in my system, is of the same nature (but, obviously, to a lesser extent) as when I moved from a "traditional" sigma-delta DAC connected via USB to a pure NOS one connected via s/pdif by means of the Audiophilleo

I am relieved to read that the Regen still made a difference connected to your usb/spdif converter, as I will be doing the same. For a moment there, I was questioning my purchase.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Checked and to the best of my iPhone mic's ability to tell after many iterations, the answer appears to be that the Regen is not making the music any louder.

This is surprising, because frankly it *sounds* a little louder and clearer.