IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

In response to your last paragraph.

Sorry but I think you are missing what I said. My Regen's output has no USB cabling going from it into my DAC. My Regen's putput goes directly into my DAC with a USB adapter. Uptone includes one.

My TotalDAC USB Cable goes from my Mac Mini to the input side of the Regen, then the output side of the Regen goes directly into the DAC.

One way or the other you need a USB cable of some ilk to connect the output of your source to the input of the Regen.

Unless you used another USB adapter but then you would have to have your source and your DAC back to back and that most likely would be problematic in several ways. Clarence for other cabling, space for the layout, remote access if needed, etc. I am not saying it can not be done just that it would depend.

But it may not make it better. John or Alex would have to chime in and let us know.

Sorry, my sentence was two in the one. I meant that the input USB cable would not matter so much other than usual contentious issues such as size geometry or if the sheath colour is red or grey.... but certainly length will still apply. The output needs to be a short as possible, so the adapter from USB-A to USB-B would suffice.

It may ve been discussed earlier, although the output connector on the Regen is quite firm, the weight of the regen + the cable to the computer places a strain on the DAC connector, especially if the DAC has a micro USB like the Grace Design m920. With the correct height of still point or some other wood block plus BLU-TACK, the right support should be easy.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Jud-

Which version of Revolver are you listening to? "I'm Only Sleeping" sounds pretty different on some of the different releases.

Couple of additional comments about a day in:

- Yes, the well recorded stuff is great, but what I'm finding more gratifying is that the ordinary recordings are sounding more real. Tom Petty, Jimi Hendrix, John Mellencamp, all from CD rip, are sounding better than I've heard before.

- Acoustic and electric bass sound quite good, not from any frequency boost, but from greater clarity. The "rosin on the bow" with bowed bass and cello, finger plucks, vibrato, "bending" notes and other intonations are nicely audible.

- Uninhabited Man from Richard Thompson's Action Packed greatest hits album just played, and it's yet another example of a song (and album) that now has a beautiful clarity I don't remember being evident before.

- I do have to put in a word about the well recorded stuff. Bad Fog of Loneliness from Neil Young's Live At The Cellar Door, recorded in 1970(!), was amazing - I'm not sure anyone there heard Neil better than I did.

- I'm Only Sleeping, from Revolver, recorded almost 50 years ago, just came on, and it had all of that great old trippy quality.

If I sound happy, well, I am.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I posted the lines I drop in Terminal in the relevant thread (+ I delete the bluetooth kexts) ; you should try

What OSX are you running? I don't have a REGEN yet, but, based on my experience with the C.A.D. scripts, I would say to know you'd have to try it for yourself. On my MBP with Mavericks, the C.A.D. v1.2.2 scripts reduced background processes and threads by 50%, the performance of the computer remained stable and solid, and the SQ was improved.

OTOH, with Yosemite, implementing the new C.A.D. v1.3 scripts only reduced processes and threads by 25%, and slowed Finder operations to a near-standstill. However, while not quite as stable as Mavericks, there is still a stunning and unexpecting improvement in SQ from "straight" Yosemite on my MBP without the C.A.D. scripts, and CPU performance is where it should be, i.e., 12-15 sec. boot times from SSD, and no lag when opening apps, folders, or menus.

I plan to order a couple of REGENs when the next batch becomes available.

i sent mine for replacement to Picturetools.de 3 weeks ago ; their distributor wants to check by himself : crazy... if your Corning can't even connect a self powered HDD, don't bother, get it replaced asap

Well I do not know yet because my Corning USB will not work even just by itself.

Though I do know someone who will have both once his Regen gets to him later this week so stay tuned.

In the meantime I will try and figure out why my Corning USB is not working. Remember it does not work even just by itself.

I just ordered a Corning USB cable, hope that the obivous Quality issues have been solved already...

Waiting for my two REGENs to fly over to Germany, so that I can finish my planned configuration as follows:

SSD powered by Sjöström Super Reulator > SATA - USB converter powered by Sjöström Super Regulator > REGEN > Corning USB cable > Auralic Aries powered by Sjöström Super Regulator > Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB cable > REGEN > Auralic Vega DAC

Looking forward to the final result!

Right now I've already running this with fantastic SQ:

SSD powered by Sjöström Super Reulator > SATA - USB converter powered by Sjöström Super Regulator > Mapleshade Clearlink Plus USB cable > Auralic Aries powered by Sjöström Super Regulator > Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB cable > Auralic Vega DAC

Cheers, Henning

It may ve been discussed earlier, although the output connector on the Regen is quite firm, the weight of the regen + the cable to the computer places a strain on the DAC connector, especially if the DAC has a micro USB like the Grace Design m920. With the correct height of still point or some other wood block plus BLU-TACK, the right support should be easy.

The Regen is smaller and lighter than I expected. With the Mapleshade USB, I'm comfortable doing without support.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud-

Which version of Revolver are you listening to? "I'm Only Sleeping" sounds pretty different on some of the different releases.

2009 stereo (I have the mono also, but the stereo was the one playing as I wrote).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Tracking notice just received for Wednesday delivery! Turning on the sixteen 6550's now, the eight EL34's can wait until tomorrow as they are smaller.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

EDIT, Sorry, I see this post is for listening impressions only. Question moved to the other thread.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Well, I've played everything from crap to cream recordings (including Cream, Eric Clapton, Blind Faith, and Yardbirds LOL couldn't resist) and they all sound great! Unfortunately, taking away the grunge does expose issues with bad recordings/masterings. But hey, at least I know it's not my system!

I liked the Mapleshade Plus cable but I still prefer the YFS Data Only Reference. I think they found a sweet spot in price/performance. I'll have to ask them if the ground is not connected or just the 5V. My DACs don't use the 5V.

If you are interested I recommend getting the Blind Faith CD from Japan- the latest Hi Res Cutting Flat

Transfer from the DSD master. Wow! Beats the 4 different LP issues I have, seriously.

Thanks again to Alex and John. It's a long fly ball to deep centerfield... It's outta here! Hey, baseball season has started here in the U.S and my Tigers are off to a great start! Life can't get much better than having what seems like a new system and having a great start to the season.

I am happy to report the REGEN is working well with the SOTM SMS-100, Corning USB 3 cable and the Auralic Vega!

First impressions are that there is a definite increase in SQ, more clarity, depth and improved "point source" of sound from individual instruments and vocalists. Better tone too, at least on Sara Bereilles piano. Sound stage is a little bigger, with more ambience.

FYI - The REGEN is running from a 5volt line that was previously powering a J5create USB 3 hub. The Vega doesn't need the 5volts so I used my modified USB adapter with pin 1 removed and insulated ground shield.

All for now. Does it really get better with break-in?

Many thanks to John and Alex for this terrific product.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I am happy to report the REGEN is working well with the SOTM SMS-100, Corning USB 3 cable and the Auralic Vega!

First impressions are that there is a definite increase in SQ, more clarity, depth and improved "point source" of sound from individual instruments and vocalists. Better tone too, at least on Sara Bereilles piano. Sound stage is a little bigger, with more ambience.

FYI - The REGEN is running from a 5volt line that was previously powering a J5create USB 3 hub. The Vega doesn't need the 5volts so I used my modified USB adapter with pin 1 removed and insulated ground shield.

Many thanks to John and Alex for this terrific product.

Very cool Have you tried with/without the Corning but with the REGEN?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

First impressions are that there is a definite increase in SQ, more clarity, depth and improved "point source" of sound from individual instruments and vocalists. Better tone too, at least on Sara Bereilles piano.

I think it has.

Regarding piano, that was something I felt was difficult to get right, except on the best recordings. With the Regen, it seems to happen pretty easily.

I was curious about the weight, so this is probably way overkill I then?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18105[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18106[/ATTACH]

The last example on the right side of the second picture seems great! Put me down for one.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Early returns are terrific ...

Soundstage expanded horizontally and vertically, recordings have more "air" and "ambiance", and images are more three dimensionally rounded.

Greater weight and impact ... pianos keys have more "clang" and greater rosin on bowed instruments.

A large improvement for a modest investment.

For those keeping track, I'm feeding an Empirical Audio Offramp 5 asynch USB to spdif converter, which is feeding the direct digital in of a Trinnov DAC.

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

I was curious about the weight, so this is probably way overkill I then?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18105[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18106[/ATTACH]

The platform in the upper picture or the vertical stand on the right in the lower picture would be welcome in my system.

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs