IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

Sadness--the USB Regen didn't quite cut it for me. I have a Mac Mini and Meridian Director, with a Jitterbug added to good effect just a few weeks ago. I think the problem is that I used the Regen to replace an AQVOX power supply. Compared to the AQVOX, the Regen was harsher, less musical and more digital sounding to both me and my wife (her test was blind).

My take is that a huge piece of the Regen's value, as reported by others, is the power supply. The other changes to the signal may be a mixed bag, favorable to some but not others.

Thanks, Richard. I'll consider this over the next couple days. I'm a bit concerned that at some point the whole setup becomes too complex--if we view the Jitterbug and Regen as add-ons to improve upon the DAC's shortcomings, then add a second Jitterbug to improve upon the Regen's shortcomings--it becomes a bit of a brain teaser.

In any case, I'm glad I tried and I appreciate UpTone's stand-up return policy as noted by satfrat below.

Very interesting, Barry. Have you tried the JitterBug? It aims to reduce both data and power associated noise. But at least on the power side of the equation, it sounds like Vbus isolator would be even better. I wonder if the JitterBug and Vbus isolator could be used in serial, and what the effect would be?

Peter