IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

FYI:

All REGENs available for shipment to clients in June have been pre-sold.

The web ordering page and automatic confirmation notices have just been changed to inform that new orders (as of 4:00 p.m. Pacific time, May 17th) will be shipped in early-July. I will update everywhere once a more exact July schedule is known.

Once again, as of now, ALL orders already placed will ship in JUNE. Only new orders from this moment forward are for July.

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

Just ordered one REGEN (July delivery). Thank you for bringing us such a nice device! I figure the REGEN will both improve SQ and solve my crackling noise / DAC-goes-static-problem, because these problems come from the 5V power of my Macbook's USB. Will start to listen with A+ and may switch to Auralic's brand new Aries Mini streamer later on.

Johan

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jtwrace,

Can you please explain? Was it stolen? Got your REGEN broken? And in the latter case, what's the cause, as it might be of great interest to this community. Thanks!

Johan

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Well, my dad came down for a visit and thought I'd let him listen (audiophile for 40 yrs) as we usually do. I didn't tell him what I was changing or doing. All I said was "tell me what you hear". We started out with the REGEN and then I removed it. Needless to say he went back home on the airplane with my REGEN. :-( Can't wait for my amber to arrive!

? That's 'lost' for a good reason! Luckily nothing got broken ;-)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

• 3 weeks later...
I really was hoping to get to the end of June before this happened, but I just checked the order list, and any new REGEN orders placed from this moment forward will not ship until mid-August.

If your order number is between 1382 and 1640, your REGEN is still scheduled to ship in July.

[snip...snip].

Regards,

--Alex C.

Happy my REGEN is order 1395 :). You're doing a great job, Alex. A REGEN is just like good wine: it takes some patience, but then it tastes even better!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Hi Alex,

PCBs. Will test all the boards over the weekend and then package up the last 60+ "amber" upgrade kits for everyone for mailing by mid-week.

Is that order 1382 to 1442?

PS Nice story about the Fisher receiver :-) I'm looking for a picture of me sitting next to my dad's turntable with headphones on at the age of 2 :-)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

again: here (EU) Supra are just the cheapest, but "branded", cables you can find. really nothing "exot(er)ic" :P

Mmm, my Supra cable is back in the box for a year now. The reseller was unwilling to take it back. My cable isn't broken. As reported in another thread my Wadia121 became completely static leading to 1) noise and distorted sound, 2) a frozen Wadia which would only came alive after a complete power down (removal of power cord). This happened several times. It did never happen with a Transparent USB cable I had before and neither does it with the OEM USB cable I currently use that came with a printer or whatever USB device.

So, although the reviews (What HiFi) are raving, something is going on with these Supra cables. That said, if working, the sound is very organic / smooth / juicy with a good sound stage. I hope my Supra cable will work together with the REGEN and not hang the Wadia anymore. I also consider to replace my Macbook with Audirvana with the Auralic Aries MINI streamer.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

[snip... snip]

But it was still harsh, that's when others started to report they had harshness and pointing the MW SMPS as possible problem. Having an iPower (first generation from the iUSB) I tried it and: wow! Harshness gone! (And everything else that has now been written several times.)

Thanks for your report Dyson! Can someone point me to a website were Europeans can order an iFi iPower (new generation)? Music Direct sells it for $ 49.95, but it seems a bit easier to order one in Europe. Thanks!

Or, if this iPower is such a good powersource, Alex could ship the REGEN with a iPower...?!?

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Hi Al:

Thanks for your report. The very nice Mr. Draaijer sent me one of each as well. They arrived yesterday but it may be a week until I have any time to audition the devices. (I keep promising Jesus at Sonore that I will listen to the SOtM battery supply he sent me a month ago.)

The reason the active SBooster unit makes your REGEN run cooler is because it drops the voltage fed to the REGEN by 1.5V (I just measured). That's fine as the REGEN is guaranteed (for 4 years, but should last forever) with a 6-8V input, and even 9V if the DAC is not drawing full 500mA USB max.

It is flattering to see add-ons for the REGEN already. Our own piece will be a completely different affair of course. But we are certainly open to anything that helps. The SBooster filters are about cleaning up the output from SMPS units. Our new to will not care what feeds it at all (with exception for whatever effect any feeder supply, switching or linear, has on the AC mains).

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex, I guess all of us are looking forward to your audition report. So hopefully you'll find some time within a week... Have you seen the white paper on the SBooster page? It's up there since yesterday: SBooster | Uptone Regen switch-mode adapter upgrade under 'Extra informatie' / 'Additional information'.

Kind regards,

Johan

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Hi Andreas,

I love good music and especially when it is played on an audiophile system :-). However, I'm not affiliated to SBooster. I may buy one, but first I'll wait for Superdad's review. So far the powering choices for the REGEN are: Meanwell PS + SBooster or Ifi iPower. (yep, if you are fortunate and can spend more on this hobby, I'd definitely consider the JS-2.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

[snip, snip]

And just wait until you see and hear what we have coming next (Yes, I'm referring to the low current power device that is going to turn heads; and the parts count on the prototype is up to 217!; nobody is going to be copying these new circuits of John's anytime soon. ;))

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex, can we use the SBooster in conjunction with this wonderful-217-parts-REGEN-add-on? Did you find time to listen to the SBooster-REGEN-combo? Thanks for your info!!

PS Glad my REGEN is at the post office and now on its way to me!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the subject says it all: here's another music lover who is surprised in a most pleasant way by the REGEN. The sound signature of my system is not 'dramatically different', but the REGEN has improved the overall characteristics.

- instruments are better defined within the soundstage; as a consequence dimensionality is improved

- the texture of instruments is more natural; or should I say, equals their real life representatives... On Hiromi's Alive drums, cymbals and piano are just right: this is how a piano sounds: no metallic sibilance or harshness, it's now about 'metallic strings in a wooden box'.

- very low noise aretefacts can now be heard. On one recording I always noticed some noise in low frquencies; for the first time I now can hear what it is: one of the musicians touches a mic standard.

- voices are beautifully 'rendered' as well, like before on my system; with the REGEN occasional sibilance is gone.

And finally REGEN solved my problem with static electricity flowing from my Macbook into the USB port of the Wadia121, causing it to break-down and hang.

Alex and John, thank you very much for this stellar experience. You have made a breakthrough on USB-fed music!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Yesterday I received a sample of the SBooster Ultra for the REGEN (http://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-ultra/switch-mode-upgrade-for-the-regen) from Mr. Wiebren Draaijer. I was a bit sceptical about any gains in Sound Quality this little device could bring. Merely because the REGEN already had brought a remarcable improvement in SQ). How much could be gained on top of that!?

First off the SBooster Ultra is a small, but well manufactured product. It consists of connectors on both sides of a small box. One connector goes into the REGEN and the other functions as a female for the male connector of the Meanwell. Everything fits sturdy. The box is well made and has a nice finish. It hides the active filter that optimises the current flowing from the Meanwell SMPS to the REGEN. From the white paper on SBooster's website:

The SBooster Ultra upgrade improves following aspects of the SMPS and Regen:1) Reduces ripple and noise of the MW SMPS;2) Improves the stability of the MW SMPS;3) Lowers the internal power dissipation of the Regen.

The latter point (3) is already an interesting reason to consider an SBooster Ultra. For all I know less heat is better for a longlasting life of electronics. But of more interest is the question what impact the first 2 improvements have on SQ. I did an A/B comparison (REGEN with and without SBooster Ultra) both with my Sennheiser headphones and through the Sonus Faber Liuto's powered by the PrimaLuna.

I wasn't prepared for the difference the addition of the SBooster Ultra made. WOW! It underlines the importance of 'clean power'! What does it do? The SBooster Ultra gives a more pleasant listen (less fatigue). Everything is and stays better in place within the soundstage. I'd say energy is better distributed to all musicians on stage. One other discernable difference is with (female) voices. With the REGEN powered directly by the MW SMPS I still got some digital artefacts (or less natural / analogue feel). With the SBooster Ultra in place I heard Youn Sun Nah sing on Empty Dream like she was standing next to me, so natural. Shivers all over... On the Sennheiser the difference the SBooster Ultra makes is even a bit more revealing.

Now all of this is relative of course. So to put things into persective:

75 - system without REGEN

100 - system with REGEN and MW SMPS

110 - system with REGEN and MW SMPS with SBooster Ultra

(make that 112 for the Sennheisers)

So, the addition of the REGEN contributes most to the overall gain in SQ, but the SBooster Ultra adds a lot to that for just €65! Highly recommended! I don't know what the add-on of Alex and John will bring though, but for this moment I'd say the SBooster Ultra for REGEN is an add-on every owner of a REGEN should consider seriously!

My original impression of the REGEN can be found here (post #960)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/index39.html#post448481

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

The SBooster Ultra for Regen is in limited quantity available again from the SBooster website. According to mr. Draaijer the final production version comes with even better cables and connectors.

SBooster | Uptone Regen wall wart adapter upgrade

Nope, I'm not getting paid by SBooster :) This upgrade for the Meanwell SMPS gives an easy to discern audible improvement and is well worth my € 65,--.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

My Regen arrived yesterday- in my system it is absolutely amazing [ATTACH]20106[/ATTACH]

Mac Mini - late 2012 i7, iFI Micro DSD, Audioquest DragonTail USB cable between DAC and Regen, solid connection to the computer. Analogue: Nordost Red Dawn interconnect, ATC pre- amp, ATC active speakers connected via silver XLR cables.

Findings:

- amazingly my audio dropouts seem to have completely disappeared.

- sound: a veil seems to have been removed, less 'digital' sound, you can hear how the bow interacts with the strings thanks to the increased detail.

Am I impressed?

Absolutely!

Your audio drop-outs might be caused by polluted USB power output (0, 5v) of your Mac. My Macbook (2010) USb output seems to generate a lot of (what I call) static electricity. Well, happily the REGEN interupts the power USB pair and replaces it by power from the MW SMPS. Like Superdad said before: REGENerate is great! :)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

• 2 months later...

Reading all listening impressions here with great interest. Guess a lot of the effect a REGEN has depends on:

- how much room there's to improve on the incoming signal (how bad is the source?)

- the power supply of the REGEN

- the way the USB port of your DAC is implemented

In my case the USB signal of my 2010 MacBook really is polluted. So much to the extent that my DAC became static when the USB cable was attached (no matter what cable). No need to say that the REGEN brought a big relief (by decoupling the 5V feed)*. When I added a € 65 filter (SBooster Ultra for REGEN) to remove unwanted noise from the Meanwell SMPS, the SQ improved again, albeit more subtle.

* to make sure my REGEN doesn't suffer from unwanted electrical pollution I added a SBooster Vbus to the USB output of the Mac. It terminates the 2 power wires from the USB bus.

So, in my set-up I've a 'bad source' and seemingly the USB port of my Wadia 121 DAC doesn't filter or isolate anything and just puts through all noise to the DAC's processor. If on the other hand your USB signal path is 'clean' by itself, then there's less to do for the REGEN.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

For those looking to experiment a bit, you might want to consider the new Curious Cable usb cable. They make a specific short version for the Regen for $120, to use in place of the hard adapter or short usb cable that comes stock with the Regen. See this link (and scroll down to the bottom):

Buy

I was using the hard adapter but really prefer the Curious Cable. The cool part is that there is a no questions asked return policy, which includes free shipping, so it truly is a "no risk" opportunity to try it. I actually preferred the Curious Cable to my $1,000 Light Harmonic usb cable.

Well, I am 'considering'. The hard adapter causes some trouble because the total construction flips out easily from the back of my DAC, the short flexible cable has been 'ditched' bij Alex himself, so the Curious might be a good option just for this matter.

But, I have some doubts. I don't have money to spend to run another Curious from my Macbook to the REGEN. So my set-up then wil be like this:

Macbook - Supra - Regen - Curious

(and in the near future: Aries Mini - Supra - Regen - Curious)

Do I profit from all gains in SQ in this set-up as well? Or can I spend my 120 bucks wiser? Thanks for all advices.

Btw, my REGEN is powered by the Meanwell SMPS and filtered with an SBooster Ultra for REGEN.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Using two Curious - one (1.2M) from MBP to Regen at dac, one (special short cable for Regen) from Regen to dac.

Thanks for your contribution, but I guess many here want to know how the Curious holds up against Lightspeed, Transparent etc. combined with the REGEN. Can you tell us a bit more?

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

If this has already been posted, I missed it in my scan and apologize for any repeat. And given the different Regen threads, I am assuming a review will fit fine here, given the thread title.

It's such a nicely laid-out review (focused on the subjective side) and as usually the case, gives a hearty endorsement of the little guy. I'm still stacking up shekels for a new DAC and then most likely a Regen. Sometimes "patience" isn't really patience for me, but more a graceless and grudging acceptance of inescapable budget restraints lol.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: UpTone Audio USB REGEN review

Thanks for the link!

Johan

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

The combination of Regen and the two sBooster products made a phenomenal improvement to an already terrific sounding digital front end.

Hi Barry, thanks a lot for your listening impression with REGEN, VBus Isolator and SBooster Ultra. Your results concurr with mine as I reported here several weeks ago. These add-ons - even with international shipping costs - under €100/$100, are worth every penny! :)

And like you: I"m not affiliated to the SBooster company.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

• 2 months later...
No risk to try. For me it is the best cable and I've tried some serious contenders as you can see. It won't surprise me as it outperfoms your WW.

Okay, I ordered the REGEN - DAC link Curious USB cable. All of you have convinced me. And if even Dutch members start to write raving reviews I just have to try myself!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline