IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

none delivered yet or... are you all just busy listening? :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

: popcorn :

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Regen delivered minutes ago :)

already connected and playing

can't use the "solid" connector (Alex has a picture of my messy setup :P and might guess why)

all I will say for the moment is... it definitely makes a difference even though I'm using it to feed an Audiophilleo (with PurePower battery PSU)

more later ;)

headphones system:

ok... a couple of hours later:

must confess the very first impression has been... everything is sounding "leaner" :-/

so I unplugged the Regen and re-listened to the very same track (from an almost forgotten cuban compilation, "Made in Havana", with recording quality going from "mediocre" to "just fair") and... yes: there was indeed more "stuff"

back again to the Regen and once more the same track: I immediately realized that that "more stuff" actually was just... "more fluff"

so I let the whole album play, listening "casually", and getting my ears used to this "new sound"

I'm not at all into with/without comparisons: I either like what I'm earing and let everything as it is or not

suffice to say I couldn't find anymore the faintest reason to even try pulling the Regen from my chain :)

the change it makes, in my system, is of the same nature (but, obviously, to a lesser extent) as when I moved from a "traditional" sigma-delta DAC connected via USB to a pure NOS one connected via s/pdif by means of the Audiophilleo

it's at the same time a "subtle" *and* "very patent" change

it makes for sure a difference. and one that I deeply like and enjoy :)

can't say I'm now hearing "never heard before" stuff but... everything is definitely *c*leaner (not "leaner"! sorry Alex and John: forgot that "c" at first :P ) and goes right in the direction I'm aiming at since I started putting together this (messy) system

(plus the usual sharpest focus and soundstage, better control and definition on deep basses, finer details blah-blah-blah)

shhhhttt now: let me enjoy once more this astonishing 'cello and piano album ;)

("Chants, Hymns and Dances" by Gurdjeff, performed by Anja Lechner and Vassilis Tsabropoulos)

headphones system:

Yes, then I found myself going the other way. 

... and I'm not even thinking about touching the volume knob :P

headphones system:

... oh... Jud: piano you said? look for Nils Frahm's most recent album, "Solo", available as a free Hi-Res download from a dedicated website ;)

headphones system:

Regen day two

something pretty challenging today: Jacob's (controversial but extraordinary) version of Bach's Matthäus-Passion :)

always thought the issue with large orchestras/choruses was... my (Don Garber's) *entry level series* 6922 pre and 2A3 stereo ampli could not handle that much stuff so "fullest" passages resulted in a sort of "tutti-frutti marmalade" (albeit a pleasing one :P )

boys how wrong was I! :)

forgot to mention I'm powering my Regen from a JS-2 PS

tried yesterday using his stock SMPS and... it still makes a difference (remember I'm using an Audiophilleo, not a USB DAC?) but not a so impressing one as when powered by a (excellent) LPS ;)

headphones system:

... might cancel the order I placed a few weeks ago for his "state of the art" pre and monos :P

just kidding... unfortunately ;)

headphones system:

bought almost all of his works, after hearing that one :)

there's another album of his available as free Hi-Res download

(can't remember if from publisher's, Erased Tapes, website or somewhere else. think a link can be found on author's website ;) )

headphones system:

(cough, DAC, cough)

pac.gif pac.gif pac.gif

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...

had the "slowdown" sensation when I changed connection between NAS and Macmini from wifi to ethernet

it also came with a *huge* improvement in every other aspect :)

headphones system:

ok... talking about cables...

never been a "believer" on this matter and always only picked "a couple of steps up from plain just good" ones (Kimber, mostly)

I still (want to :P ) think it's just placebo effect what I'm hearing but... replaced, a few minutes ago, the Wireworld Ultraviolet I've been using for a couple of years with a Wireworld Starlight 7 and... wow! (meaning more body, fine detail and greater transparency. maybe, and surprisingly, a little warmer overall. but just a tiny little bit)

let me say it again: I still *want to* think it's only placebo effect ;)

but whatever it is... I'm leaving everything as it is *now* :)

headphones system:

You may take the blue pill... watch out: it's a deep rabbit hole. ;)

welcome :)

nervous.gif

lol :)

headphones system:

Edit: Sorry for the OT.

not that much, IMHO

my point was that, I believe, *with* the Regen I can now pick even the (pretty subtle) difference a cable can make :)

but looks I still have a looooong way to go, on cables :P

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...
Can the Regen be powered from the 9V output of the HDPLEX LPS?

just ordered one (HD-PLex) ;)

my question is... will the Regen sound as good as when powered by a JS-2? answer coming in a couple of weeks ;)

headphones system:

The opening of Pinball Wizard has been a milepost for me ever since I heard Eric Clapton play it (just the beginning) as kind of a joke to open a 1974 concert. If that frantic acoustic strumming followed by the mother of all power chords raises the hair on my arms and the back of my neck, the system is doing something right.

OTOH... been a couple of days at a friend's countryside. his sister is a professional, classical, 'cello player and she was studying for her next concert (Brahms 1st symphony)

the very instant she started playing... I asked myself wtf are we after: no way the best gear I ever heard could come even close to what I was hearing :cry: (and, btw, room's acoustic was really, really, really bad)

we're just talking about... pictures of maquettes of real stuff, right? :(

end of pointless and very sad OT :P

headphones system:

• 3 weeks later...

how's the colour compared to the JS-2 led? :P

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...
Alex,

Take a look at HTTrack: HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL)

It is free software that allows you to download webpages (or forum threads) to a local folder. I've used it in the past to create backups of "expired" threads/forums.

It is Windows only.

since I believe Alex uses a Mac... SiteSucker for OS X ;)

headphones system:

amber... wait... *dark orange* :P Regen upgrade delivered minutes ago and already playing

air, air, air, air air. a lot more air. dynamics. punchier bass. not sure about increased micro detail, the green already was sooo good. but I'm still only into second track ;)

oh... did I mention air? :P

thank you John and Alex: you did it once more :)

btw... reading about many cranking the volume up. first thing I did, as soon as it begun playing, was... turning it down

headphones system:

ok... went back and forth a couple of times from green to... orange and all finer detail is there

can't still say, though, the orange brings out more. but, to me, it sounds slightly "darker" (warmer) than the green (which might explain why details are less "in your face")

someone mentioned "brightness" if not even "harshness". can't get there, on my system, even playing the brightest violin solos (which... I'm not sure is good: violins actually are, or can be, nasty nagging buggers :P )

headphones system:

yup: forgot to mention I'm powering mine from a JS-2 :P

headphones system:

USB out from a Mac mini and into an Audiophilleo on battery power (it's in my signature ;) )

headphones system:

weird: the whole day I kept feeling the need of going back to the green Regen then, once I did, the more I did, the more I felt the orange is overall an improvement indeed. it sounds cleaner, more in focus, there's so much more "air in between" from low mids to highs and it's overall punchier (btw: each time I go back to the orange Regen I turn the volume slightly down. and the other way around)

the "punchier" part, though, on really bass heavy tracks brings maybe up my system's "weakness": these 15", and ultra sensitive, woofers that, in these situations... there's still excellent control but I feel... a tad too much "boldness" there. which seems to carry some detail loss, as if every "empty space" was overfilled :-/ (talking just about deep basses)

though whenever I go back to the green Regen I immediately feel I'm missing something :-/

headphones system:

Wanting to turn down the volume to me indicates 'strain' or a 'fatigueing' sound. If there's no/little noise and distortion I find I can listen at relatively high levels without noticing or wanting to turn down the volume/getting tired.

... nah: it's just a matter of (old) age :P

the cleaner the sound the lower I want the volume to be and, on the contrary, if I turn the volume up is because something is missing and I need to compensate ;)

headphones system:

If Supra can not be bothered to test prior to sending out there product ... then they deserve to be given a big miss.

again: here (EU) Supra are just the cheapest, but "branded", cables you can find. really nothing "exot(er)ic" :P

headphones system: