IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

I received my Regen early this week but listening time has been minimal due to family accident and me playing nurse :)! But I have definitely noticed an even lower noise floor (I didn't think this could be improved much from where I already was), certainly more easily identifiable detail. Cymbals sound like real life! As others have already more eloquently stated, it seems like most every aspect has improved.

I'm powering the Regen from the 2nd output of my JS-2. At the price the Regen is a screaming bargain given the improvement it brings.

Thanks John & Alex!

Randy

I got my Regen yesterday and I tried it on my NOS1. It was a lot of trouble, since the position of the NOS1 USB port crosses the analog ICs, but I finally settled for the rigid adapter plus a 90 degrees adaptor. It looks kind of weird, but...

Focus, details, air, tone, presence, presence, presence... Have I said "presence" ? The small glare that I can hear from time to time is gone.

But I have to specify that my NOS1 is not a NOS1"a". I am not sure it would make such a difference, as I suspect that the Regen and the improved USB port from the NOS1a would be redundant.

I have been switching between a Clairixa and a Clearlink plus USB cable. The Clairixa has a natural sound like the Clearlink but there are differences that favour the Clairixa. A little more presence and a deeper sense of bass (though still tight).

Now that the Regen is at a place I was not really anticipating (it was for another dac), I need to find a way to make the connection less "dangerous".

It has not happened for quite a while, but when I suddenly feel the crave to listen to music I already know and like, that means something to me...

I could not agree more! This seems to happen on changes that for me are clearly an improvement to the system.

Cyril

"The reformer is always right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right." GK Chesterton

Mac Mini 5,1, SSD, A+, Vaughn Merlots, Wavelength Gemini (45), Wavelength Cosecant Denominator with Mojo-Audio Joule LPS, Blue Circle Music Ring, UpTone Audio REGEN (amber & green), audioquest JitterBug, Locus Design Group Nucleus USB Cable, Acoustic Zen Hologram Speaker Cables & Absolute Silver Interconnect Cables, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Sennheiser 650s with Moon-Audio Silver Dragon Cables, BDR cones & discs, all tubes by Andy @Vintage Tube Services

The more stuff I listen to, the more I'm impressed. I was planning to loan my REGEN to a friend tomorrow, but I'm afraid he won't give it back!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

The more stuff I listen to, the more I'm impressed. I was planning to loan my REGEN to a friend tomorrow, but I'm afraid he won't give it back!

That's no joke. I loaned mine to a friend...

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I already have what I consider a fairly optimized setup:

• LH Labs Lightspeed 2G USB split cable; i.e., the power and data feeds are already separate
  • the power leg comes from my LH Labs linear power supply; the data leg comes from my MacBook Pro
  • my LH Labs Pulse xFi only uses USB power to set up the handshake - after you see the Pulse appear in Audio MIDI, you can simply disconnect the power leg, leaving only the data leg connected
  • the Pulse apparently has a very robust jitter rejection scheme already

That said, I can't help but think regenerating the data stream so close to the DAC input can't help but improve the signal and reduce any possible issues. And it sounds good :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I got my Regen yesterday and I tried it on my NOS1. It was a lot of trouble, since the position of the NOS1 USB port crosses the analog ICs, but I finally settled for the rigid adapter plus a 90 degrees adaptor. It looks kind of weird, but...

Focus, details, air, tone, presence, presence, presence... Have I said "presence" ? The small glare that I can hear from time to time is gone.

But I have to specify that my NOS1 is not a NOS1"a". I am not sure it would make such a difference, as I suspect that the Regen and the improved USB port from the NOS1a would be redundant.

I have been switching between a Clairixa and a Clearlink plus USB cable. The Clairixa has a natural sound like the Clearlink but there are differences that favour the Clairixa. A little more presence and a deeper sense of bass (though still tight).

Now that the Regen is at a place I was not really anticipating (it was for another dac), I need to find a way to make the connection less "dangerous".

It has not happened for quite a while, but when I suddenly feel the crave to listen to music I already know and like, that means something to me...

Alain, it would be interesting to know whether and how much a Regen might help the NOS1a. To me the Regen moves the sound of my DAC a little further toward that of the NOS1a. I also noticed the sound of the NOS1a changed when I changed cables, and Peter told me it was more subject to this than the NOS1. So perhaps the Regen might make a bigger difference with the 1a?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Alain, it would be interesting to know whether and how much a Regen might help the NOS1a. To me the Regen moves the sound of my DAC a little further toward that of the NOS1a. I also noticed the sound of the NOS1a changed when I changed cables, and Peter told me it was more subject to this than the NOS1. So perhaps the Regen might make a bigger difference with the 1a?

My friend has a NOS1a and he said it made a very large difference. He likes it a lot.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hi Jud,

I talked to Peter today and I intend to send him my NOS1 to have it upgraded to the NOS1a. At first I was hesitant, but hearing what the Regen did to the NOS1, I know now how much the NOS1a will deliver the goodies :) And I will also test with and without. Though I know what you mean, I tend to have a bias toward a no difference, but have I been wrong before :).

I intend to send it soon, but it may take a while before I will be able to do this test... But I will :)

One thing is for sure: with these two, I am (can I say this here) "The King of MY PLACE" ;)

Edit: See ? I did not read what Jason wrote before and I am already wrong :)

Edit2: I will retry the comparison with the Clearlink as it is one of the best cables with the Clairixa (for the few I have compared I must say). They really sound natural.

Jud, have you done the "out of the room test" ? You play music, leave the room and see if it sounds like the band is in here :) It is doing this with some recordings :)

Alain

There is one more thing I would like to say about the Regen... What it tells me is how much there is "stuff" to clean coming from the PC. It really is the "Achilles heel" of the chain... I wonder if what I read about 40 years ago (the source is the most important) still holds true... A better speaker with an average source will be ruthless, while a better source with a less excellent speaker should let pass better sound ?

What if someone tries to put a Regen at the output of the PC USB and one at the input of the dac ?

Alain

There is one more thing I would like to say about the Regen... What it tells me is how much there is "stuff" to clean coming from the PC. It really is the "Achilles heel" of the chain... I wonder if what I read about 40 years ago (the source is the most important) still holds true... A better speaker with an average source will be ruthless, while a better source with a less excellent speaker should let pass better sound ?

What if someone tries to put a Regen at the output of the PC USB and one at the input of the dac ?

Well I tried the Regen at the computer end out of curiosity - it certainly is no where as good having the Regen at the DAC end, but I heard an impact to lower registers that was quite amazing....well I just had to go and order another Regen to find out..(number 1175) roll on June :)

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Well I tried the Regen at the computer end out of curiosity - it certainly is no where as good having the Regen at the DAC end, but I heard an impact to lower registers that was quite amazing....well I just had to go and order another Regen to find out..(number 1175) roll on June :)

Interesting :) Thanks !

Alain

Initial impressions (no attempt at ABX:):

Installed between my NAA and iFi iDSD micro playing DSD512 via HQPlayer ... since I had to swap the USB cable I had to reboot the NAA. I usually SSH in and $ sudo reboot but got lazy and power cycled and then the NAA got stuck and so I turned my Panasonic plasma on to use the screen...

Now I've got this hum when I connect my USB cable regardless of whether the Aqvox or USB regent is in the system ... The hum starts as soon as I touch the USB external connector to the iFi input ... Clearly a ground issue... seems like the plasma is spewing...

Now I install the Corning fiber USB and the hum ceases -- reasonably dark background.

The USB regen does seem to remove digital grunge and improve focus. Fine details are very precise and audible perhaps enhanced. The combo give a pitch black background.

Next steps are to place an array solutions AC filter on the plasma and install a PPA USB v2 card into the NAA but I'm having a great time listening for awhile :)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

My Regen was delivered while I was out of town visiting family and attending Axpona in Chicago (contrary to many folks opinions, I thought most of the rooms at Axpona were mediocre at best and most were worse).

Got home earlier today and inserted the Regen into my system. The difference was immediately obvious and universally positive. There's simply more information clearly available to hear, improving clarity, separation, detail, ambiance, etc. Quite frankly I'm surprised at the difference something so inexpensive can make. Obviously there's lots to explore and improve in the digital chain.

Well done Alex and John...well done.

Initial impressions (no attempt at ABX:):

Installed between my NAA and iFi iDSD micro playing DSD512 via HQPlayer ... since I had to swap the USB cable I had to reboot the NAA. I usually SSH in and $ sudo reboot but got lazy and power cycled and then the NAA got stuck and so I turned my Panasonic plasma on to use the screen...

Now I've got this hum when I connect my USB cable regardless of whether the Aqvox or USB regent is in the system ... The hum starts as soon as I touch the USB external connector to the iFi input ... Clearly a ground issue... seems like the plasma is spewing...

Now I install the Corning fiber USB and the hum ceases -- reasonably dark background.

The USB regen does seem to remove digital grunge and improve focus. Fine details are very precise and audible perhaps enhanced. The combo give a pitch black background.

Next steps are to place an array solutions AC filter on the plasma and install a PPA USB v2 card into the NAA but I'm having a great time listening for awhile :)

Oh and woo woo woo I don't actually have a USB cable in my system ... so there!!

I'll be giving a detailed break in review of the Corning fiber :):):)

Actually I'm just having a great time listening to great music!

Best $2500 system to plug Radiohead directly into your brain:

$300 DN2800MT CAPS V3 NAA

$125 PPA v2

$110 Corning optical USB

$175 Uptone Audio USB regen

$500 iFI iDSD micro

$400 Bottlehead Crack + soup

$1200 Senn HD800

$50 Green Spot Irish

Wow!

So Regen has been here a week now, very impressed as others have stated with the increased clarity and resolution while not losing PRaT or squashing depth of soundstage.

Setup =

iMac with Audirvana+ 2.10, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable to Regen to adapter into Gungnir, feeding Lyr 2 (Telefunken E88CC tubes) to HE-560 (YFS Super30 cable and open grills).

Tonight spent 40min back and forth testing between

Regen stock wall wart power

vs.

New (demo) iFi iPower 9V.

It took awhile to nail down differences, which I suppose could be within error margins- but in the end my ears found Regen with iPower so slightly easier to notice and pick out details when instruments were layered on top of each other. drum kit sounds had slightly better definition in space.

Now Gungnir isn't the most micro detail delivering DAC, so slight improvements here might not apply to other rigs.

If I had to put subjective numbers on the audible differences, would give regular power Regen a 94. Regen with iPower a 97.

Why no 100?

Well I don't own a LPS, and figure that could inch quality up another couple notches?

And, nothing is perfect in this hobby right? Ha!

Anybody tried to connect mac mini with regen by adapter and then regen with DAC by another adapter?
Anybody tried to connect mac mini with regen by adapter and then regen with DAC by another adapter?

I have not tried this (I do not have a Mac Mini), but I suppose that it is very easy to try this with a any laptop, since the USB ports are usually at a more practical height than the USB ports of a desktop...

Alain

If I had to put subjective numbers on the audible differences, would give regular power Regen a 94. Regen with iPower a 97.

Thanks for posting that. Just the other day I wondered about the use of an iPower with the Regen.

When I moved to the Auralic Aries my system became free of switching mode power supplies. The Regen will be bringing one back. If iFi's marketing material is to be believed, the iPower might not be a bad way to go if one wants to minimize sources of noise.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thanks for posting that. Just the other day I wondered about the use of an iPower with the Regen.

When I moved to the Auralic Aries my system became free of switching mode power supplies. The Regen will be bringing one back. If iFi's marketing material is to be believed, the iPower might not be a bad way to go if one wants to minimize sources of noise.

Good thought. I"m thinking of buying 2-3 of those.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Good thought. I"m thinking of buying 2-3 of those.

Im thinking that Ifi's Ipower will really help with dac's that sound great but didn't pay much attention to the power

supply to keep costs down.

I really like my Arcam Irdac ,paid 600 for it ,but the power supply is poor. Im betting an Ipower will really help improve

the sound quality of this dac.

Im thinking that Ifi's Ipower will really help with dac's that sound great but didn't pay much attention to the power

supply to keep costs down.

I really like my Arcam Irdac ,paid 600 for it ,but the power supply is poor. Im betting an Ipower will really help improve

the sound quality of this dac.

I'd be surprised if the REGEN's power supply even with the SMPS isn't superior to the iPower. If you wanted the ultimate get the JS-2 from Alex.

I'd love to but I am not gonna pay 1k for it.

I have a Regen coming that i'm really excited about getting my hands on. Missed the first batch.

Cool. It's not $1k though...it's $925. ;-) And it has multiple outputs. Whaaaat a deal. What state are you in?