IGNORED

Do music servers improve SQ over spinning discs?

Thanks to Audio Elf, Barry and Tranz for the replies to my questions. You are right and I need to try it on my own system, of course. I'm just trying to figure out whether it is worth it or not before doing so.

There is a risk as well because if I do prefer .aif to FLAC, all my CD's are ripped to FLAC and There's no way I want to go through all of that ripping process again!

No re-ripping needed! Just a one time transcoding using a program like Max or DbPowerAmp. You will not loose quality by un-Flacing.

Of course always keep your Flacs as backup!!

If you want to come home and push play, then the Auralic Aries, much discussed in these pages, is an effective device. After a bit of setup (to install MinimServer), it cooperates nicely with the Synology NAS to which I've ripped about 1500 CDs, and also downloaded some albums from HD Tracks and similar sites.

I still have three excellent working CD players in my home, but I can't recall the last time I used one to play a disc. Now that my music is on the networked drive, I enjoy more of it, and more often, with sound quality that's as good as or better than any CD-based system I've used over the years, and with the added advantage of being able to play high-res files (though I have only a few at this time). I'm happily networked, and for me there's no turning back.

Thank you guildenstern. Aries has been on my short list, but interest faded some what when I read the negative feed back regarding the SQ with their 2.0 update. And how problematic it seems to even get the update into the machine.

But I am glad that you have found an item that brings you even more enjoyable music moments. And your conclusion in the end "with sound quality that's as good as or better than any CD-based system I've used over the years" feels reassuring because that is absolutely critical in order for me to make the move.

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

In my experience, ripped CDs sound better than their physical counterparts, when they are both played through the same DAC. The difference isn't dramatic (at least in my case), but it's there.

goerz, can you tell me more about the system(s) where you have experienced this? Was it computer based, or server with NAS?

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.