IGNORED

LMS (Logitech Media Server) (former JRiver user)

Dr Tone

I was a die hard LMS (Logitech Media Server) fan. Logitech dropping the platform scared me over to JRiver for my main system. JRemote kept me happy for years.

JRiver's focus has been moving in the wrong direction for me lately. (Nothing to do with JPlay, don't use it.) So I've been exploring other options.

LMS lives on through community supported development and Michael one of the original Logitech developers. I've recently reinstall LMS, configured ickStream with Tidal support. Upgraded to the latest version of iPeng (v8) on my iDevices. Installed and configured squeezelite on my media machine to use ASIO to my Devialet.

I'm extremely happy with the performance improvements in LMS 7.9. It's stable as well. I once again enjoy being able to see the tracks on compilations that belong to my Album Artists. I love being able to stream to one iDevice and control it from another iDevice, something you just can't do with JRiver. iPeng is great. Streaming Tidal is the icing on the cake.

I encourage everyone with some spare time to give LMS a try again. It's free, only iPeng cost $9 and a bit more for local playback. OrangeSqueeze is suppose to be pretty good on Android. Configuring squeezelite to autostart with the right parameters takes some tech knowledge but I can give a hand.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I just brought up a new copy of Vortexbox last night, in preparation to try some recommendations IRT video. Is the version of LMS in it up to date, or are you using it under Windows, MacOS, etc.?

I'm using it on a Windows Server. From what I've read the vortex box version is a custom version, I think HDCD decoding has been implemented in it which makes me jealous. I don't know which code base it's using.

Depending on the size of your library, 7.9 might not be that important, I have 132,000 tracks and almost 11,000 albums so the older versions struggled for me. Squeezelite working properly on my HTPC with ASIO and WASAPI support was the most important part of the equation.

I imagine squeezelite could be configured to working the new version of JPlay as well since it's just another ASIO device. Everyone will have the best of all worlds, an excellent remote control in iPeng and the sound quality they like with JPlay.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I just brought up a new copy of Vortexbox last night, in preparation to try some recommendations IRT video. Is the version of LMS in it up to date, or are you using it under Windows, MacOS, etc.?

Vortexbox is using the latest stable release, 7.8.1. - 7.9 is updated regularly- you can install this easily on Vortexbox following these instructions http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=communitysqueeze-2.3

The DSD support on 7.9 works fine. Orange Squeeze is also quite a good app for Android.

I use JRiver mainly because of the user programmable smartlists function - there isn't anything comparable in LMS. Also the upsampling and ability to work with DRC of JRiver are superior.

But LMS is a good program and has a lot of interesting plugins. I guess it all depends on which program fits your needs better.

I do wish LMS had a better "library update" feature when adding new music to your library. The "automatic update" feature has never worked well for me. JRMC is also superior in this regard.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The DSD support on 7.9 works fine. Orange Squeeze is also quite a good app for Android.

I use JRiver mainly because of the user programmable smartlists function - there isn't anything comparable in LMS. Also the upsampling and ability to work with DRC of JRiver are superior.

But LMS is a good program and has a lot of interesting plugins. I guess it all depends on which program fits your needs better.

I do wish LMS had a better "library update" feature when adding new music to your library. The "automatic update" feature has never worked well for me. JRMC is also superior in this regard.

You don't like SOX upsampling?

As for library update, I just hit the rescan button in iPeng.

I agree it is quite good. It also does a nice job of keeping my Touch and Boom running like champs. Now, if someone would just buy the rights from Logitech and start making an updated "Touch 2" or "Touch DSD" that was wireless AC compatible ... I still lament the demize of the SB and wish that Slim Devices never got bought out. The Transporter was far ahead of its time, it would be great to see what that design team could make now... Oh well.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Yeah I'm a former JRiver user, my requirements evolved away from it. The last JRiver licence I purchased was v12 so it has been a while since I used it so apologies if this information is redundant to you.

Anyway for smart playlists have you looked at SmartMix and the blender? http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php@nr=1352&kategorie=slim-plugins

There's also dynamic and sql playlist functions via plugins that give good control over creating smart playlists. Not to mention Music IP and Spicefly Sugarcube which still work great with LMS.

There is an automatic update function that you can run daily. I don't know of anyway to make LMS watch your music folder for changes though. But besides the web interface or control software there are a couple of other ways such as a bookmark in your web browser like this

http://lms:9000/settings/index.html?p0=rescan

Other options described here: http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2014/12/16/three-ways-rescan-lms/

deleted

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)