IGNORED

Adding DSD into the mix...

Hello All,

I am looking to compliment my current Computer based DAC (M2TECH Young) setup with good quality DSD playback without breaking the bank and having to replace my current setup. I have seen the SCHIIT LOKI product as well as those from iFI being the Nano and Micro DACs. My issue with the iFI product, is those seem to be more geared towards portability and a greater expense is introduced especially for battery based usage which I have no real need for.

Therefore, is the LOKI the only real product out there to be able to provide pure DSD playback or are there some other alternatives I should be looking at? For those with experience, Is the LOKI a really good sounding DAC or is the price suggestive of its actual performance...? I also read somewhere that the unit does some form of conversion thus not making it a pure DSD converter - can anyone confirm/vouch for this?

Appreciate any help/advice in advance as I would like to get into some good quality DSD playback if at all possible without radically changing my setup and breaking the bank again...! :-)

Cheers,

Vin.

Hello All,

I am looking to compliment my current Computer based DAC (M2TECH Young) setup with good quality DSD playback without breaking the bank and having to replace my current setup. I have seen the SCHIIT LOKI product as well as those from iFI being the Nano and Micro DACs. My issue with the iFI product, is those seem to be more geared towards portability and a greater expense is introduced especially for battery based usage which I have no real need for.

Therefore, is the LOKI the only real product out there to be able to provide pure DSD playback or are there some other alternatives I should be looking at? For those with experience, Is the LOKI a really good sounding DAC or is the price suggestive of its actual performance...? I also read somewhere that the unit does some form of conversion thus not making it a pure DSD converter - can anyone confirm/vouch for this?

Appreciate any help/advice in advance as I would like to get into some good quality DSD playback if at all possible without radically changing my setup and breaking the bank again...! :-)

Cheers,

Vin.

Hello Vin,

You can visit my thread at CA at Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally! Highly recommend the Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse. I do not know what your budget allows, but a reading of the thread may offer you real time experience; and I'll trust you to decide what works best for you.

Best,

Richard

Hello Vin,

You can visit my thread at CA at Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally! Highly recommend the Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse. I do not know what your budget allows, but a reading of the thread may offer you real time experience; and I'll trust you to decide what works best for you.

Best,

Richard

Thanks Richard!

I would love to go for something like the Wyerd 4 Sound Dac2 DSD which I know about, but its a little way over my budget as I am still paying for a lot of Vinyl equipment related upgrades this year - just wanted to get something without all the bells and whistles as I have a great sounding DAC already, and am just missing the dedicated DSD piece...

Cheers,

Vin.

Thanks Richard!

I would love to go for something like the Wyerd 4 Sound Dac2 DSD which I know about, but its a little way over my budget as I am still paying for a lot of Vinyl equipment related upgrades this year - just wanted to get something without all the bells and whistles as I have a great sounding DAC already, and am just missing the dedicated DSD piece...

Cheers,

Vin.

Hello Vin,

Understand. I wish you good fortune in finding the Dac and the price point that matches your criterion for affordability. I am sure in today's markets that is more doable than ever. Let us know what you choose.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I have not heard the Loki, but my ifi idsd smoked the Modi (that I sent back).

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You should take a look at the TEAC DACs. They do DSD quite well and are relatively sanely priced. Also take a look at the Ressonessance HERUS.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)