IGNORED

Better DAC, Better sound quality for Internet Radio?

Using SBT with NorthStar USB DAC32, does it worth for upgrading the DAC to Meitner MA-1 or Zodiac Gold (or other) ? Bottom line is that I'm only playing streaming sources from online radio like Linn Classical.

Thanks for all your inputs

Using SBT with NorthStar USB DAC32, does it worth for upgrading the DAC to Meitner MA-1 or Zodiac Gold (or other) ? Bottom line is that I'm only playing streaming sources from online radio like Linn Classical.

Personal opinion would be its not worth upgrading ... but really you would have to demo the upgraded DAC to try for yourself.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think a better DAC will help if your are using the one in your computer.

But the bandwidth is so low, any decent Dac will extract all there is.

I used to use a Sangean Internet radio at work. Upgrading to better stereo was huge. Not sure a better dac helped.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

The best way I have seen and heard for handling Internet Radio is

JRMC 20 with SACD plugin VST to convert PCM to DSD 256 fed to ExaSound DSD256 capable DAC

The results are pretty amazing

For streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal, then its possible to use XBMC now called Kodi to feed file URL's to HQ Player to do the conversion to DSD256 for feeding to the ExaSound.

Other DSD256 DAC's on the horizon are the ones from the fellow Canadians Bryston and Sim Moon

The Ultimate DSD256 DAC is the T+A PDP 3000.

Lampizator is coming out with a DSD256 capable version of their various DSD DAC's

You could give the Linn Klimax a try, but I am pretty sure that a DSD solution would sound much better. I have heard the Klimax but it was a while ago

This blog reviews the possibilities.

Lossless Streaming Services - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

With the advances recently made in getting RF noise under control in LAN's you can achieve amazingly good sound quality from Internet radio

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Just a small correction. It's not a VST plug-in, it's the foo_asio dll, which is part of foo_sacd. You first need to install this in foo bar, the foo_asio is then selectable as an output device in JRMC. Use the live playback feature of JRMC to loop the Internet radio stream through JRMC then out through foo_asio to your DSD DAC.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

The best way I have seen and heard for handling Internet Radio is

JRMC 20 with SACD plugin VST to convert PCM to DSD 256 fed to ExaSound DSD256 capable DAC

The results are pretty amazing

For streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal, then its possible to use XBMC now called Kodi to feed file URL's to HQ Player to do the conversion to DSD256 for feeding to the ExaSound.

Other DSD256 DAC's on the horizon are the ones from the fellow Canadians Bryston and Sim Moon

The Ultimate DSD256 DAC is the T+A PDP 3000.

Lampizator is coming out with a DSD256 capable version of their various DSD DAC's

You could give the Linn Klimax a try, but I am pretty sure that a DSD solution would sound much better. I have heard the Klimax but it was a while ago

Actually there are a number of DSD 256 DACs these days, check the DSD Database for a list.

www.dsd.sonore.us

As for the ultimate DSD 256 DAC, while the T+A model has an ultimate price ($20,000), it's not necessarily the best sounding. :)

Actually there are a number of DSD 256 DACs these days, check the DSD Database for a list.

www.dsd.sonore.us

As for the ultimate DSD 256 DAC, while the T+A model has an ultimate price ($20,000), it's not necessarily the best sounding. :)

Jesus needs to get the list updated / corrected, the PDP 3000 is supposed to be able to do DSD 256 and DSD 512 with Windows ASIO driver for USB

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]