IGNORED

Interesting tablet as core playback device?

This seems like it would make for a nice core player for seconday and possibly primary systems

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

Didn't pick one up yet but has all the goodies needed including full size USB port and microSD slot. Youtube research confirms it works with 128GB cards although the specs say 32 max. Full windows OS and attached to a USB DAC might be an very affordable playback device.....no fan, keyboard, monitor,etc.....just simply load an SD card of your favorites and enjoy.

My thoughts would be a custom chassis mount including cabling and USB DAC with table top mounting to sit on a bookshelf in my study or in wall in the bathroom maybe.

This seems like it would make for a nice core player for seconday and possibly primary systems

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

Didn't pick one up yet but has all the goodies needed including full size USB port and microSD slot. Youtube research confirms it works with 128GB cards although the specs say 32 max. Full windows OS and attached to a USB DAC might be an very affordable playback device.....no fan, keyboard, monitor,etc.....just simply load an SD card of your favorites and enjoy.

My thoughts would be a custom chassis mount including cabling and USB DAC with table top mounting to sit on a bookshelf in my study or in wall in the bathroom maybe.

Running TIDAL HIFI or pulling the rest of your collection from a NAS could be neat as well.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

True......searching for a low noise USB powered hub now. Basic apple USB PSU is measured 80mV while $20 Belkin unit measured 4mV under load.....not bad but i bet there's better out there for not much coin.

I'm going to pick up the 8" version today after work myself. In wall installation in the master bath instead of dragging my ipad in for a steam bath!

True......searching for a low noise USB powered hub now. Basic apple USB PSU is measured 80mV while $20 Belkin unit measured 4mV under load.....not bad but i bet there's better out there for not much coin.

I'm going to pick up the 8" version today after work myself. In wall installation in the master bath instead of dragging my ipad in for a steam bath!

The ability to leave it charging via micro USB and leave the USB DAC plugged in is really appealing. I don't know what I'm holding back for. Micro center is about 10 minutes from my house :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

One of the reviews mentioned WiFi problems. No confirmation from anyone else, but this reviewer did say that the service center confirmed a known problem.

I'm assuming you would be able to load jRiver MC on to this device and use that as the controller/playback device connected through the USB port right at your main system. Correct?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Interested to know how it sounds with Tidal, the tablet would be the perfect device for Tidal but so far I've only tried ipad which sounds poor compared to iphone...

I gave the WinBook TW801 a try as a JRMC Server. I believe the only difference between the two tablets was my unit had a full size USB3 port. I used the USB3 port with a small hub to support a Seagate USB3 hard drive (JRMC library) and Dragonfly DAC. I kept the tablet attached to its AC adapter the whole time. The goal was to see how it fared in 24x7 operation.

For my testing I created a large playlist and set it to repeat. There was little CPU/Memory loading of the tablet while both playing and serving remote clients.

That said the tablet has deficiencies. The unit would power down the USB3 disk drive and go to sleep after a period of time. The Dragonfly was not lit so it appeared asleep too. Hitting the touch screen would power up the USB drive and music would resume with a stutter that could not be resolved. Rebooting and restarting always ended the same way.

I went to the device driver screens for the USB ports and unchecked the boxes that allowed the device to turn of the ports when it is trying to conserve power. No change, the USB drive and Dragonfly disconnected.

Next I tried the Control Panel Power Options. I set the device to "Never Go to Sleep" while plugged in. I also wanted the display to off after 10 minutes so that it would conserve power.

Again it would turn off or put the USB drive and Dragonfly to sleep. Also the display never shut off. As a lark I invoked the screen saver and selected a blank screen (Black) and set it for 10 minutes. It did blank the screen but you could see the LED back lighting all around the edges.

I even spoke to 2nd level Seagate support and they stated their firmware never puts a unit into sleep mode.

I like this little tablet but there appear to be no Power Management under Windows control. They could have rushed it to market and its Power Management is all hardwired within the BIOS.

Another caveat regarding the TW801. It's USB3 port does not automatically (Auto Play) see device insertion/removal. Therefore it will not load appropriate drivers for unique devices.

It does recognize my Flash stick and my antivirus pops up and asks me if I want to scan the stick. File explorer sees the device and sizes it correctly. But "Safely remove hardware and eject media" on the task bar has no knowledge of the device.

The shared charging/microUSB2 port works as expected. I found that plugging a unique USB device into the USB2 port first would auto load needed drivers. Then remove and re-plug into USB3 and it will operate.

While these Win8.1 tablets are nicely priced it does feel like one is putting their dollars into a half-baked product...

Another caveat regarding the TW801. It's USB3 port does not automatically (Auto Play) see device insertion/removal. Therefore it will not load appropriate drivers for unique devices.

It does recognize my Flash stick and my antivirus pops up and asks me if I want to scan the stick. File explorer sees the device and sizes it correctly. But "Safely remove hardware and eject media" on the task bar has no knowledge of the device.

The shared charging/microUSB2 port works as expected. I found that plugging a unique USB device into the USB2 port first would auto load needed drivers. Then remove and re-plug into USB3 and it will operate.

While these Win8.1 tablets are nicely priced it does feel like one is putting their dollars into a half-baked product...

....like Zune...

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

It will be interesting to hear a TIDAL stream thru the new Sony Xperia Z4 tablet coming out in June this year,,supposedly capable of some hi-res playback. Could be a nice low cost hi res option?

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

It will be interesting to hear a TIDAL stream thru the new Sony Xperia Z4 tablet coming out in June this year,,supposedly capable of some hi-res playback. Could be a nice low cost hi res option?

The current one is DSD capable i believe, yes?

Yes, the Z3 is DSD ready, but the Z4 should give us an idea of Sony's hi res embrace. I can see a tablet running TIDAL with a mid range headset as a very viable idea for on the go.

Here are the full Xperia Z4 Tablet specifications:

• Android 5.0 Lollipop
  • 10.1in IPS Triluminos screen, 2560x1600, 300ppi, 500cd/m2
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor, 64-bit
  • 3GB RAM
  • 32GB internal storage, microSD card slot (up to 128GB)
  • 8.1Mp rear camera with Exmor RS
  • 5.1Mp wide angle front camera
  • MHL 3.0
  • Wi-Fi 802.11bicon1.png/g/n/ac
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.1
  • Nano-SIM (LTE model)
  • 6000 mAh battery
  • 254 x 167 x 6.1 mm
  • 392g (Wi-Fi), 396g (LTE)
  • Black, white

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

If you're going to stream Tidal on a mobile device, I would suggest you either connect via WiFi or carefully control your on-the-go usage, lest you get a very unpleasant surprise in your next cell phone bill.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 2 weeks later...

PoE/USB/LAN Hubs & Adapters for Samsung Tablets | LAVA: The Source for Ports - Serial Port Experts

Lava offers this ethernet bridge for Samsung TAB 4, S and Pro. I'm between systems and might get adventurous enough to try it. The PoE version (power over ethernet) makes me wonder if it can be powered by the 2 x FMC optical bridge . . . http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/network-isolation-4265/index15.html. Cool stuff.