IGNORED

Noob looking for 3.5mm to phono cable advice

Hi guys,

I currently own a very cheap, thin black 3.5mm to phono cable, which is running between my amp and my Macbook Pro. I think it's probably time to upgrade as there is no reason I should have such a cheap cable in my chain. I'm ideally still looking for a value cable, just one that isn't £1; the max i'd be able to spend is between £15 and £20 but ideal would be £10.

Would I notice any discernible difference with a new cable at this price?

Also my setup is: Macbook Pro > Audirvana Plus > Fiio E10K > Pioneer A-676 (Old) > Monitor Audio BR2's > BK XXLS400

As you can see it's a fairly basic system. The Fiio is being delivered as I type this and I just didn't want a cable to be holding the whole thing back.

Any advice would be welcomed, thanks :).

Thanks for the reply. I have to say I am in two minds. It does seem like this could be a total waste of money. I had concerns solely because my current cable is very, very cheap. Just out if interest, is there a certain price point where cables start to make a difference?

Most agree that having a sturdy cable with proper shielding and solid connectors is a good thing, and your proposed budget should satisfy those needs. You can get some pretty solid cables without spending a lot of money. Monoprice and C2G make some solid cables for around $10 (not sure of dollar to pound conversion), depending on how long of a cable you need. The AudioQuest cables will run from $20-$50 or more, depending on what line and what length you need. I use some AudioQuest cables in my system and I like them.

Hopefully others will chime in with their advice and ideas.

I work someplace that sells stuff.

Blue Jeans cable makes these, i paid about $15 for a short cable but you can specify the length you need. Excellent quality, good sound and cheap shipping cost too. I use one with Meridian Explorer in my little desktop computer rig and it's no worse than a much more expensive cable I tried. Check their web site for shipping info... They probably ship to your area.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

John

Blue Jeans cable makes these, i paid about $15 for a short cable but you can specify the length you need. Excellent quality, good sound and cheap shipping cost too. I use one with Meridian Explorer in my little desktop computer rig and it's no worse than a much more expensive cable I tried. Check their web site for shipping info... They probably ship to your area.

Stereo Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

I was just going to come and say that, I love Blue Jeans Cables.

No electron left behind.

If you have any soldering experience easy to make one yourself with parts from Maplin (or similar)...

A length of... Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE starquad microphone cable - Purple | Maplin (£2.55/m)

1 of ... Neutrik NTP3RC-B 3.5mm Right Angled Stereo Plug | Maplin (£4.29)

2 of ... REAN Phono Cable Connector White | Maplin (£2.38)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.