IGNORED

i7 4930 K on ASUS P9X79 LE LGA 2011 race horse, recommendations please for over clocking and memory

The experimental goal is to have a PC with minimal latency through a combination of higher CPU clock speed, fast memory and higher mobo clock speed.

Just by chance I had a hex core 4930 K and I just ordered last week an ASUS P9X79 LE LGA 2011 for a desktop gaming machine, which is now going to be pressed into service as a HQ Player desktop machine which will be talking to a HQ NAA

OS is going to be WS2012 + AO

The 4930 K has a TDP of 130 watt, and I am think of using a large Noctura cooler, hopefully with no fan in a tower case. If I have to use a fan, not a big deal as there will be fibre optic Ethernet between the HQ Desktop and the NAA.

So I am looking for suggestions / recommendations for 8GB fast memory, how to select a faster mobo speed, and how to overclock the 4930

I am a complete newbie in this field of fast PC's

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I think you're way overkill with the processor and overclocking. It's not a game machine. I use a 2ghz 4 core Celeron only topping at 3% while playing back DSD or high res PCM. I think it's better to build a lean cool running machine for music playback.

I did build a dedicated game/work PC and overclocking the CPU by 10% and the video card by 10%.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

No question it's absolutely spec overkill, but the experimental goal is to reduce latency to see if it has a beneficial effect.

It might make no difference to SQ, but the only way to find out is to try ;-)

I was very surprised to find Ramdisk making a SQ difference for PCM to DSD 256 conversion, so just experimenting

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

would not a faster mobo clock reduce IRQ latency ?

Clearly the most important driver of reducing latency is tuning of the OS and the priorities it sets for the various processes, but once that is done, a bit more oompf from the hardware ?

More oompf from the hardware is mostly used for calculation.

On an RTOS the latency of a task only depends on the tasks running at equal or higher priorities, all other tasks can be ignored. On a normal OS (such as Windows or OSx) the latencies depend on everything running on the system, which of course makes it much harder to be convinced that the deadlines will be met every time on a reasonably complicated system. This is because preemption can be switched off for an unknown amount of time. The high priority task wanting to run can thus be delayed for an unknown amount of time by low priority tasks running with preemption switched off.

The 4930 K has a TDP of 130 watt, and I am think of using a large Noctura cooler, hopefully with no fan in a tower case. If I have to use a fan, not a big deal as there will be fibre optic Ethernet between the HQ Desktop and the NAA.
If you're actually going to be pushing that CPU at all - especially if you plan on overclocking it - you will need active cooling. The NH-D14 or 15 are a good choice.

would not a faster mobo clock reduce IRQ latency ?

Clearly the most important driver of reducing latency is tuning of the OS and the priorities it sets for the various processes, but once that is done, a bit more oompf from the hardware ?

The platform and the amount of devices enabled/connected to the motherboard are the main things which will affect that.

Anandtec.com runs dpc latency tests in their reviews. Maybe the lowest latency motherboard is the best choice?

[ATTACH]17603[/ATTACH]

You beat me to it - X79 boards were not known for low DPC latency, and it is a problem that largely seems to have been solved with the X99 platform.

But even X99 is an order of magnitude higher than some older boards when optimized. (which means disabling most on-board hardware)

I've seen people with single-digit DPC latency in certain configurations.

But DPC latency is not really relevant in Windows 8/10 since they use activity alignment and a dynamic tickrate rather than a fixed tickrate.

And a low DPC latency is not that important at all unless you're working in a studio and need the absolute lowest latency possible for realtime playback. But you're generally better off simply avoiding going through the PC at all and using analog gear that bypasses the PC for monitoring systems where latency is a concern.

Where DPC latency is an issue is when you run into a bad device driver.

My system typically has DPC latency in the range of 50-100µs, but if I update to the latest Intel LAN drivers, this happens every two seconds and that does cause problems. But the solution for that is just to roll back to the driver that shipped with Windows 8.1

How relevant is DPC latency for Windows Server 2012 ? Is activity alignment and dynamic tick rate being used in WS2012 ?

Is WS 2012 ever used as a base for a Realtime OS application ? Or is Linux heavily favored for those instrumentation applications ?

Thanks guys, I am learning a lot !

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

How relevant is DPC latency for Windows Server 2012 ? Is activity alignment and dynamic tick rate being used in WS2012 ?

Is WS 2012 ever used as a base for a Realtime OS application ? Or is Linux heavily favored for those instrumentation applications ?

Thanks guys, I am learning a lot !

Are you experiencing latency issues?

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

Not experiencing any overt latency issues :-)

What is driving all of this is the tests we did last week with HQ Player Desktop running on a MacPro Zeon with Win 8.1, connected to a GB switch, the HQ player NAA on WS 2012 + AO connected optically to the GB switch. HQ Player was doing 16/44 to DSD 256 conversion and sounding very good. We then ran Primo Ramdisk on the Win 8.1 on the Mac Pro, and it made a very noticeable increase to the sound quality. So the thinking is the Primo Ramdisk is reducing latency, so maybe taking steps to reduce hardware latency will have a beneficial effect.

As I have the CPU and the mother board already, I thought I would give it a try

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Not experiencing any overt latency issues :-)

What is driving all of this is the tests we did last week with HQ Player Desktop running on a MacPro Zeon with Win 8.1, connected to a GB switch, the HQ player NAA on WS 2012 + AO connected optically to the GB switch. HQ Player was doing 16/44 to DSD 256 conversion and sounding very good. We then ran Primo Ramdisk on the Win 8.1 on the Mac Pro, and it made a very noticeable increase to the sound quality. So the thinking is the Primo Ramdisk is reducing latency, so maybe taking steps to reduce hardware latency will have a beneficial effect.

As I have the CPU and the mother board already, I thought I would give it a try

Was the first test with a spinning HD or a SSD? I have my server process the entire track before it plays the track so latency would not be an issue if I had any.