IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Already sent, thank you!

As you said I've start the Raspberry (Model 2), plug the DAC, reboot - and no sound. Often moode.local stops responding. Sometimes when I start the playback - i can see on the DAC display that it gets the resolution (44.1, 96) - but that's all :(

Doesn't work with NAD M51

Hi,

What are symptoms?

Send email to <tim at tcmods dot org> and I'll be happy to troubleshoot :)

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

I ran across the blog post below by Soundcheck and he mentions in item #5 that apparantly the NAD M51 uses a non-standard implementation of USB/UAC that is not supported by standard Linux/ALSA USB driver.

soundcheck's - audio@vise: Shoot the Trouble -- USB Audio Interfaces

He mentions ALSA patches that can “cope” with the issue and I was wondering if anyone has ever tested these patches?

Regards,

Tim

Looks nice. Any plans for adding support for spotify and other streaming services?

I also noticed that the mpd pipe output plugin is not included. That would be a nice add.

Hi,

Not sure about integrating streaming services. I understand the appeal of a "universal" player but currently, if Moode Airplay receiver is on Moode nicely stops what it was playing from its playlist and starts playing the Airplay stream.

This enables full featured Tidal, Spotify, or Qobuz to run in one Browser tab while Moode runs in another. On Mac simply select Moode Airplay from the Volume control. On Windows, Airfoil provides the same feature (redirect all audio to Airplay receiver).

It could be viewed as a "best of both worlds" configuration :)

MPD 0.19.9 with full set of options except probably libaudiofile is what I would like to achieve for the 2.0 June release.

Regards,

Tim

On Mac simply select Moode Airplay from the Volume control. On Windows, Airfoil provides the same feature (redirect all audio to Airplay receiver).

Tim - thanks for the info! Looked into the airfoil but a bit pricy to buy considering it costs almost just as much as the rpi. Any android solutions?

Hi,

I'd have to look back through my emails from users but I think turning on the Moode UPnP renderer and then using BubbleUPnP (Audio Cast) on the client achieves the same all-audio redirection. What I don't know is whether Moode will automatically stop what it's playing from its playlist and switch to the incoming UPnP stream...

Regards,

Tim

Would it be possible to add the option to play a song from the playback history list? Thanks

Hi,

It might be possible for songs that are in the local music collection, but not for songs that have been broadcast by radio stations since these are not available on-demand.

It's an interesting idea and I could envision a Play/Pause control next to the Google link for the song. The history log would function as a hybrid Browse/Playlist.

I'll investigate.

Regards,

Tim

Hi,It might be possible for songs that are in the local music collection, but not for songs that have been broadcast by radio stations since these are not available on-demand.It's an interesting idea and I could envision a Play/Pause control next to the Google link for the song. The history log would function as a hybrid Browse/Playlist. I'll investigate.Regards,Tim
Thanks Tim, would be great if you could add the feature for local music.Barry
Hi,

I'd have to look back through my emails from users but I think turning on the Moode UPnP renderer and then using BubbleUPnP (Audio Cast) on the client achieves the same all-audio redirection. What I don't know is whether Moode will automatically stop what it's playing from its playlist and switch to the incoming UPnP stream...

Regards,

Tim

Got my old ipad to work and streaming with airplays works great. The Moode player stops with a smooth transition when starting with airplay, but it doesn't swap back automatically -have to first turn off the airplay from the ipad. The extra step is no problem.

What is the audio quality using the shairport? Transcoded using the Apple Lossless codec at 44100 Hz?

Hi,

So far so good running new kernels 3.18.11 and 3.18.14 with ALSA coding changes in Moode 2.0.

All tests successful on Pi-1B and 2B with my 3 DAC's.

I think the 0dB not = ALSA 100% issue for PCM5122 based DAC's is fixed in the new kernels. Alsamixer now shows a decibel value for my IQaudIO DAC+ and it says 0dB when the level is at 100%.

Regards,

Tim

moode-r20-sysconfig.png

moode-r20-about.png

alsamixer31814.png

Hi,

Just a brief status update. The new kernels bring more goodness in ALSA :)

Tests have been successful with a new "ALSA-Direct" hardware volume control that implements true logarithmic mapping of the 0-100 scale on the Moode volume knob to the actual hardware volume range for the device.

Several options are possible including ALSA internal mapping, formula based mapping or table based mapping. Custom volume curves are now possible!

Regards,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

very interesting and nice project, big Thanks for your effort!

Since some weeks i am looking for an audio player for my raspberry pi, who is capable to playback my HiRes audio files (up to 24bit/192kHZ/5.1ch) bitperfect. The raspberry pi is connected with HDMI to my AV reveiver.

Have made some tests with volumio and RuneAudio, unfortunately it didn't work.

Is playback of these kind of file possible with Moode Audio Player?

Best regards

Michael

Hi Tim,

Since some weeks i am looking for an audio player for my raspberry pi, who is capable to playback my HiRes audio files (up to 24bit/192kHZ/5.1ch) bitperfect. The raspberry pi is connected with HDMI to my AV reveiver.

Best regards

Michael

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

I have not tested the HDMI port. It probably requires a specific configuration to enable it in ALSA. I'll investigate.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Best regards

Michael

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

I have not tested the HDMI port. It probably requires a specific configuration to enable it in ALSA. I'll investigate.

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

I tested HDMI connection and it worked without any configuration. What I observed is that ALSA resamples higher rate streams to 16/48 and leaves lower rate streams alone. For example 16/44.1 passes through as 16/44.1 while 24/96 is down sampled to 16/48.

It appears the stock audio driver for HDMI connection is configured for max 16/48. Here is a thread that talks about that, and also how it can be changed to a higher max rate but requires editing the driver .c code and then recompile of kernel.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/playing-96-24-and-192-24-raspberry-pi-through-hdmi-16190/

Regards,

Tim